Could you *Bee* a dear and help me with this search?

PastaNipples

Yup! I've watched some videos, read the wiki pages, and search these forums, so now I'm asking all you lovely folks: tips and tricks on finding wild beehives! What sound settings should be high, low, etc.? What areas did you have success/failure in? Anything and everything you think can help, I'd be very happy to receive your wisdom and I'll pay it forward as I can :)

Well, I found two hives, and for the sake of jolly cooperation, I'll share my own notes to get the ball rolling for those who are in need of help.

Things I've noticed:

* Try to aim for the densely wooded areas, semi-hilly, with as little water as possible. The rustle and lapping of the waters can sap your concentration and muffles the buzzing drone of hives.

* You can safely disable weather sounds, they'll only hinder you. Keep Ambient and Game sounds up, one of these is responsible for producing the drone sounds of a hive.

* I found that from trying two ways, slow walking and pausing by each tree for an audio cue, or fast moving and listening for anything different, the latter option is more effective. Covering more ground may seem like you'll miss out on the subtle notes, but if you're moving fast you can search more places and be more likely to hear a hive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thing is - bees are not rare, they are just hard to spot. From my experience in my first world, i pretty soon found a beehive next to my spawn point. I destroyed it though, trying to clear the leaves hiding it. After that i had a hard time finding a new one. The next one i didn't even see - i shopped down a large oak, when i found bees swarming around me and beeswax on the ground, the oak had hidden a beehive. It took some time to find the next one, but not long after i found another just next to that one. And not long after i found a new one just next to my second base - i had walked past it several times and never spotted it.

Listen for the sounds and look for the bees - but they can look a lot like leaves in the wind from a distance.

• Like 1

I usually find some just by hearing them while I am exploring. I just mark them down on my map and once I find where I want to settle I come back for them. You really don't need to see the hive at all. Just ensure there are plenty of flowers around a free skep surrounded by fences and the wild hive will populate it. Come back after some time and collect the skep for the apiary.

Once you find one, you really don't need to find any more. Hives in skeps can populate empty skeps, so just don't destroy them all and you'll bee fine honey.

Edited by Silent Shadow
  • Like 3

So I accidently destroyed the wild bee hive near my living quarters and I'm out and about looking for another and having a hard time.  I've found them easily in previous playthroughs but not in this one.  The wiki gives rainfall range of .35 to .85 condusive to bees.  How does that equate to the in-game description for rainfall.  I assume almost all the time is above that .85.

"Almost all the time" is definitely too much. I'm not sure what all the in-game "translations" are of the numbers but if you have access to and are willing to use commands, you can try /wgen pos climate to get a detailed list of climate info for where you're standing.

Bees are easiest to find in forests, of course. In my experience, they spawn in the "wolf country" areas with mushrooms and a variety of trees, in birch forests, or if you want to avoid wolves you can head south far enough to get warmer biomes (where sunflowers start to spawn) and search through forests risk-free. You can also find them in acacia areas but then you have to deal with hyenas. You won't find them in jungles (too wet) and I generally don't find them in pine forests (maybe because too much rain or too cold, maybe because the trees are so tall you wouldn't hear the bees up high, not sure).

Easiest rules of thumb for me are that if you see mushrooms or soybeans growing around, or if there are lots of birch trees in one area, it's probably possible to find bees there. Of course, actually finding them is largely luck. Best way to do it is to turn the weather volume slider all the way down, the main volume up, and walk around slowly listening for the buzz.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  Looks like I'm gonna have to do some hiking and exploring.  Apart from that lone lucky bee's nest, all I really have within a half day run is pine forests.  At least I don't have to worry about resin; only have 64 of that and now passing up resin when I find it.

[edit] Of course minutes after I post this I find my bee nest only about 750 blocks away from my home in an oak and maple forest (no birch).  Common rainfall seems to be a good indicator for moisture.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Amazing! 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.