Very good game but 2 big issues

DenisBedard

Ok first i love this game..i cant stop to play ! But 2 things i think that make the game too hard and want me to stop playing .

First one is wolf..im pretty sure i can handle more than 2 bite in real life..i mean come one..they are over power..it kind of ridiculous and make people want to rage quit like the button when you die !

Second one is the anvil ! The major one ! Please make another system because this one is a pain in the ass ! i cant figure it out even after looking on the wiki..it just get me mad and make me waste a lot of copper for nothing !

The game have a lot of potential but some major point have to be work out again !

tanks !

• Wolf Bait 2
  • Haha 1

What are you having trouble with making a copper anvil? All you got to do is:

1. Make a clay anvil mold
  2. Fire the mold
  3. Heat 900 units of copper (180 nuggets) in a crucible
  4. Once nuggets are melted, pour into the mold
  5. Wait.

Wolves can be scary but they aren't too bad once you learn the trick, which is, fight them in water or on ice with a spear. A 1 block deep pond is usually good enough as you move faster in water than they do. You can also just run away since you are faster (at least outside of dense forests and sans jumping).

Sorry you got laughed at, but don't give up. The game can be very satisfying to conquer.

• Like 6
  • Wolf Bait 2

Was the "sorry you got laughed at" because of my emoticon? I'm not laughing at him, I'm laughing because I can relate about the wolves. Until I really got in sync w the game, i rage quit many times. In fact, I accidentally taught my kid, who was 4 at the time, a profanity. Dude, I thought he was asleep. But a few nights later, at dinner with my parents, he proudly belted out what he heard me say a few days prior. That's why I'm laughing, because I can relate, not because I'm a snide butt-head :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely they do, thank you for mentioning that, because I witnessed something for the first time, and wondered if it's a coincidence or a game mechanic. Mind you, I've only got about 6k hours in the game, but I've never seen what I'm about to describe before yesterday. I've chased many wolves in those five thousand hours, as I always seem to be on my final spear when I encounter one. Normally, when they run, they run like the devil's after them; they don't stop to check out scenery or sniff a tree, etc. But this time, she was a tiny bit ahead of me, stopped to chomp a rabbit, and then instantly turned around to chomp me. Does eating instantly restore some health on wolves? I've never seen this before; they've always appeared to have a little cool-down period. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious; I'll have to be more mindful of where I'm steering them from now on, that rabbit would have come in handy.

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:36 PM, DenisBedard said:

[...]But i still say my point about wolf..they are too op ![...]

actually, are they? when you start in a new world you basically are malnourished and without any armour basically naked, so fighting the biggest predator there is just isn't a good idea.
and i wouldn't be that sure about surviving more than 2 bites, i mean they can lock their jaws and just hang on there for quite some time while the moose or bear or bison tries to get rid of them and they tend to go for throat or neck of their prey...
Once you figure out how to fight them efficiently, they become basically prey themself...

On 9/4/2021 at 3:08 AM, Ryan Thomas said:

But this time, she was a tiny bit ahead of me, stopped to chomp a rabbit, and then instantly turned around to chomp me. Does eating instantly restore some health on wolves? I've never seen this before; they've always appeared to have a little cool-down period.

it could just be that the rabbit was there when the wolfs AI checked for what to do next, hunting small prey might be higher ranked than running and after it killed the rabbit you were close enough to trigger the attack, as far as i know actually eating takes them a moment or two...

Edited by Hal13

In addition to that, it's nice to have a lot of self confidence. Nothing wrong with that.. But saying you could survive two bites from a fully matured wild wolf is the same as claiming you can survive a speeding rug with a bear trap for its jaws and the appetite of a starving human.
Your average house dog when seriously angered can tear your arm or leg up to the point where stitches just won't be enough any more.
Never underestimate wolves. They're cute... Sure. But they can clap even a skilled real time survivalist and combat expert without weapons seven days a week and brag about it later to their friendly neighborhood raven/crow buddy.

If you think that some game aspects are too difficult, then bring down the strength of enemies in either the new world config or with the WorldConfig commands.

The game can be fine tuned to your personal liking to quite some extent.

In my personal opinion, not a single creature in this game needs to be nerfed. It's all perfectly balanced.

Edited by Windego
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Windego said:

But saying you could survive two bites from a fully matured wild wolf is the same as claiming you can survive a speeding rug with a bear trap for its jaws and the appetite of a starving human.

Actually they don't even have double the bite force of a human (no comparison to a bear trap) though that obviously depends on their breed, they may be able to gnaw but not to just straight up bite through major bones (though you might break your arm yourself when theres an on average about 90 pound weight hanging on part of it).

5 hours ago, Windego said:

In my personal opinion, not a single creature in this game needs to be nerfed.

I mean i have some beef with the wolves too, that uber aggressive behavior just isn't natural for them, they tend to stay away from anything standing on two legs as long as it doesn't threaten them or their young (or they are starving and it tries to take away their food), though one could argue the wolves in VS are way bigger than todays average wolf which might make them more fearless (similar with how polar bears know no fear, through evolution they lost that completely as they were the unchallenged top of the foodchain where they live for thousands of years).
I'm hoping when bears get introduced as having always lived in the world the wolf behavior will become slightly more evasive.

23 minutes ago, Hal13 said:

I mean i have some beef with the wolves too, that uber aggressive behavior just isn't natural for them, they tend to stay away from anything standing on two legs as long as it doesn't threaten them or their young (or they are starving and it tries to take away their food), though one could argue the wolves in VS are way bigger than todays average wolf which might make them more fearless (similar with how polar bears know no fear, through evolution they lost that completely as they were the unchallenged top of the foodchain where they live for thousands of years).
I'm hoping when bears get introduced as having always lived in the world the wolf behavior will become slightly more evasive.

There is talk in another post here somewhere about the AI of wolves and how in the potential future, a nice idea would be to make them avoid civilization once you've established a base and some buildings.
I can totally see how anyone would seem like a potential meal for a wolf when all they have is a stick to defend themselves.
What's more... Given how VS's lore is currently built and the number of traders we see... Which is arguably little compared to the settlements we have in MC..
It kind of makes sense to me that wolves don't fear players. There aren't enough humanoids roaming the VS world to make me think otherwise about wolf aggression.

And in all my personal playthroughs.. I've honestly rarely had issues with wolves in the first place. I frequently see them chase a hare.. And if I don't get too close, they don't bother with me.
They have a range that if you stay away from them, they will stay away from you unless something drew them towards you, like a hare, or they spawned too close.
They don't even bother with you if they chase a hare because we're not that important. Unlike drifters who will seek you out the moment they see you.

So in theory, wolves in VS are actually quite close to your average every day wolf, with a few differences in size (as you mentioned) and perhaps they're a bit more territorial.
But what I said above still applies. Stay out of their 'zone' and they won't bother trying to turn you into an afternoon snack.

• Like 2

Come to think of it, this frequently desired need to nerf wolves makes me think of a very particular mob of MC. Well... Two of them, really. Skeletons and baby zombies.
Everyone hates them. And yet they are still good the way they are.

Because at the end of the day... There will always be two sides when it comes to requests regarding mod strength or AI.
The part that wants it nerfed, and the part that thinks it's too easy an want it tougher.

Well... That's why it's so customizable.
Too tough? Crank down the difficulty.
Too weak? You guessed it. Crank it up.

. . . Just for Gaia's sake.. Don't give them an axe.

Edited by Windego
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 2:53 AM, Windego said:

In addition to that, it's nice to have a lot of self confidence. Nothing wrong with that.. But saying you could survive two bites from a fully matured wild wolf is the same as claiming you can survive a speeding rug with a bear trap for its jaws and the appetite of a starving human.
Your average house dog when seriously angered can tear your arm or leg up to the point where stitches just won't be enough any more.
Never underestimate wolves. They're cute... Sure. But they can clap even a skilled real time survivalist and combat expert without weapons seven days a week and brag about it later to their friendly neighborhood raven/crow buddy.

If you think that some game aspects are too difficult, then bring down the strength of enemies in either the new world config or with the WorldConfig commands.

The game can be fine tuned to your personal liking to quite some extent.

In my personal opinion, not a single creature in this game needs to be nerfed. It's all perfectly balanced.

oh my god shut the fuck up

• Wolf Bait 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2021 at 11:12 AM, Maelstrom said:

Just wait until bears are put into the game!  😵

They did, and their absolutely terrifying, but they have a reason to be OP. Because bears are OP, you don't get the title of apex predator without being an OP powerhouse. I will say I really do like how big they are, but also oh my goodness they are freaking terrifying to encounter, especially when it just charges at you out of nowhere because you didn't see it sleeping in the leaves, and they are BIG. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.