Fields of Gold

Vinter Nacht

Animals Are No Longer Covered By This Mod

Fields of Gold is for the farmer who prefers more naturalistic growth periods for their crops and is wanting yields more in keeping with real-life farming.  1.1.9 continues this theme by adding support for More Crops and Wildcraft. In addition, you’ll find some small features and changes to existing recipes. 

Features:

image - The Haystack (New) – A haystack has been implemented, allowing you to store large amounts of dry grass in a convenient pile that adds more of that farmland feel to your barns and fields. Haystacks are created by Ctrl+Shift clicking the ground with dry grass, getting larger with the amount it holds, up to a maximum of 256.

image - The Hay Bale – The hay bale grid recipe has been removed. You will now create a hay bale by interacting with a haystack with a rope. The hay bale takes 64 straw to make, so the haystack must hold at least that much. You can place a hay bale and use a knife on it to return your 64 straw. While they can still be carried in your inventory, they can also be carried with CarryCapacity.

image - The Straw Mat (New) – The straw mat is created in the same manner as the hay bale, but requires 8 straw and 4 reed fibers (Cooper’s Reed/Papyrus). Straw mats can also be placed on the ground to create a nice straw floor for your house or animal pen. They are also used in crafting beds, and in making thatching.

image - Thatched Roof – As mentioned above, straw mats are now required for crafting a thatched roof. In addition, sticks have been added to the recipe to account for framing.

image - Grain Seeds – Grain seeds can no longer be used as a form of seed as in earlier FOG iterations. Instead, you can craft grain in your grid recipe to produce 3 seeds of the appropriate type for each unit of grain.  This crafting process also works in reverse, so you can make a portion of the appropriate grain out of three-grain seeds of the same type.  Seed drops have accordingly been removed from the individual grains, and the overall drop rate of grains from crops has dropped.  You will now receive 1 or 2 grains per plant.  Plan your fields accordingly.

image - Cattail/Papyrus – These roots can now be split in half, with each half being able to be planted. This allows the propagation of cattail root and papyrus. Each half can also be roasted and eaten for half the nutrition of the full root. When freshly planted you will create a ‘growing’ cattail or papyrus plant that will not drop anything if broken. Also, cattail and papyrus roots will now decay.

image- Beehives – Beehives have had their harvestable hours set to once every 60 days, encouraging the creation of larger apiaries. You can modify how often you can harvest the hives in the config file. This portion of the mod is automatically disabled if From Golden Combs is installed.

imageConfigurability - Many features of the mod are now configurable, with more to come.

Growing Time Information:

image Cattail/Papyrus:

image- From Growing to Harvested: 154 days

image - From Growing to Harvested: 115 days

image - From Harvested to Normal: 39 days

image - Hives: 1488 hours –> 62 Days

image Berry Bushes

image - Empty to Flower: 62 days

image - Flower to Berry: 28 days

image - Berry to Empty: 14 days

image Vanilla Crops:

image - Amaranth: 84 days

image - Bellpepper: 84 days

image - Cabbage: 70 days

image - Cassava: 540 days (Cassava takes a ridiculously long time to become harvestable)

image - Flax: 110 days

image - Onion: 100 days

image - Parsnip: 90 days

image - Peanut: 120 days

image - Pineapple: 485 days (Can confirm, have Pineapples in my yard)

image - Pumpkin: 90 days (Some concern over how well this works)

image - Rice: 120 days

image - Rye: 120 days

image - Soybean: 65 days

image - Spelt: 110 days

image - Sunflower: 90 days

image - Turnip: 40 days (this stuff grows FAST RL)

image More Crops:

image - Beets: 56 Days

image - Cauliflower: 90 Days

image - Corn: 90 Days

image - Eggplant: 120 Days

image - Jalapeno: 80 Days

image - Potatoes: 90 Days

image - Yam: 98 Days

image WildCraft:

image - All Herbs: 56 Days

(This will likely be updated further at a later date, but for now, they all grow on the same cycle)

Frequently Asked Questions:

image - Did you decrease hunger or increase crop yield to compensate?  No.  The intent was to require larger farms and bring crop growth in line with a  more real-ish standard.

image Upcoming Features:

image Add planters pots, racks, and trays for pre–Spring planting.

image Change grains to drop ‘fresh sheaves of <grain>

image Add Stook mechanic for drying sheaves of grain.

image Stooks will hold up to 12 fresh sheaves of grain

image It will take a base of 21 days to dry

image Modified by local rain/temperature

image Will not dry underground (unless underground farming is true)

image Must have 6 of 8 horizontal spaces near it empty of other non–grass blocks.

image Must have 3x3 space over it exposed directly to the sky. (Keep your stooks outdoors!)

image Add a threshing mechanic to separate the dry sheaves into dry grass and threshed grain.

image Add winnowing grain mechanic using panning pan to convert threshed grain to grain.

image Mushroom cultivation mechanics

image Stackable sacks for storing grain

image GUI–less interface

image Will display stored grain type on the sack.

image Will have storage time similar to a storage vessel.

image Can be stacked 3 to a block.

image Can be set down and opened for accessing contents.

FieldsofGold.png

2021-10-09_17-48-17.png

Edited by Vinter Nacht
Updating To New Version
  • Like 6

Wow, that looks very hardcore. Not saying I hate it (is this inspired by crop mechanics in TFC+, which I love?) but it'll need to be rebalanced for custom month/day lengths before I consider trying it. I see great potential but it might be hard to balance so it does feel fun and not unfair, rooting for you!

3 hours ago, Jan Hošek said:

Wow, that looks very hardcore. Not saying I hate it (is this inspired by crop mechanics in TFC+, which I love?) but it'll need to be rebalanced for custom month/day lengths before I consider trying it. I see great potential but it might be hard to balance so it does feel fun and not unfair, rooting for you!

As the OP says:

10 hours ago, Vinter_Nacht said:

Mod Only Suited To Play With 30 Day Months

Also quick question @Vinter_Nacht how long are sheep milkable?

edit:D'oh! just saw "Recalibrated Lactation Periods for Sheep/Aurochs" in the upcoming features.

Edited by Hells Razer
Not paying enough attention.

5 hours ago, Jan Hošek said:

" I see great potential but it might be hard to balance so it does feel fun and not unfair," ->  While I agree, I think we may mean different things. ;)  The intent of the mod was to add the necessity for large fields, particularly when trying to feed multiple people. As mentioned in the edit above, grain yields are presently far too high in most cases. It's possible that vegetable yields are too low, however.  I'll have to do some balance/comparison.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

We have been in a discussion on the Wilderlands server concerning adding Fields of Gold along with Wild Farming and Expanded Foods. Together they look like a great combination for what we want on our server.  Really like the way Fields of Gold makes growing a crop feel a lot more like actually farming a crop over the course of a season.  If someone does not tend to it properly, they (and maybe the whole community), will have to go without till the next growing season comes around in some cases.

In looking at the mods though, I wanted to make a request, if you have the time and are willing.

Wild Farming adds a number of crops to the game, including herbs.  Would it be possible to have a patch made that would mod the growing season of crops included in the Wild Farming mod, and stretch their growing seasons out appropriately?  If so, that would be fantastic, and we would be grateful!!

~TH~

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to touch base with everyone here.  I appreciate the interest in this mod, and I do intend to keep developing it.  However, From Golden Combs will remain my priority for development time.  I have, however, contacted the creator of Wildcraft to take steps to alleviate the conflict there.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:02 AM, Thalius said:

Greetings!

We have been in a discussion on the Wilderlands server concerning adding Fields of Gold along with Wild Farming and Expanded Foods. Together they look like a great combination for what we want on our server.  Really like the way Fields of Gold makes growing a crop feel a lot more like actually farming a crop over the course of a season.  If someone does not tend to it properly, they (and maybe the whole community), will have to go without till the next growing season comes around in some cases.

In looking at the mods though, I wanted to make a request, if you have the time and are willing.

Wild Farming adds a number of crops to the game, including herbs.  Would it be possible to have a patch made that would mod the growing season of crops included in the Wild Farming mod, and stretch their growing seasons out appropriately?  If so, that would be fantastic, and we would be grateful!!

~TH~

I'll try to shove it into the docket.  Langstroth Hives first ;)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vinter_Nacht said:

Just wanted to touch base with everyone here.  I appreciate the interest in this mod, and I do intend to keep developing it.  However, From Golden Combs will remain my priority for development time.  I have, however, contacted the creator of Wildcraft to take steps to alleviate the conflict there.

I'll try to shove it into the docket.  Langstroth Hives first ;)

Many thanks!
Looking forward to both. 😁

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So Fields of Gold is coming back into focus for me now that From Golden Combs has a stable release and only the occasional bug report.

Will hopefully be releasing a 1.15.10 stable release (with some issues being finally resolved) and a 1.16.0 release that has the same fixes in preparation for further development.

Aside from configuration options, any requests?

Alright! Finally getting some time to work on this mod.  There's been a few minor updates to make it more generally accessible (IE - It changes grow times based on daysPerMonth and hoursPerDay).  A simple enough change.  I also fixed the conflict I was having with WildCraft (Had to get my patches working properly), and added a little feature where mousing over the crop will give you the time until next growth stage.

This was a quick push to get it out to people who've been waiting for these minor fixes.  Will be working on more robust features next.

Maybe even that config file I keep talking about.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:21 PM, Vinter Nacht said:

So Fields of Gold is coming back into focus for me now that From Golden Combs has a stable release and only the occasional bug report.

Will hopefully be releasing a 1.15.10 stable release (with some issues being finally resolved) and a 1.16.0 release that has the same fixes in preparation for further development.

Aside from configuration options, any requests?

This may be well outside of the scope of the mod (especially right now), but have you considered expanding irrigation methods/overhauling mechanics given the large fields required to feed players? Given that player-created canal irrigation is gated behind copper, it'd be nice to see a passive/non-gardening can irrigation method available (maybe muddy gravel blocks giving low levels of moisture to nearby blocks, or re-balancing moisture levels from water blocks?).

• Like 1

There's a two-fold thought here.
1 - I find it ridiculous that so much of water interaction is gated behind copper, including buckets and barrels.
2 - I find it ridiculous that players can move water source blocks at all, and figuring out how to remove this capability so that mechanical power is required for any serious form of irrigation is at the forefront of my mind at all times.  I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle such a technically difficult process.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 1:07 AM, Vinter Nacht said:

I find it ridiculous that players can move water source blocks at all, and figuring out how to remove this capability so that mechanical power is required for any serious form of irrigation is at the forefront of my mind at all times.  I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle such a technically difficult process.

Sevtech modpack for MC removed the source water blocks and it made for funky results, it made me frustrated looking at the "holes" in the lake I was collecting from

I remove source blocks of lava with the metal bucket and it worked out quite well I think.  I replace the "hole" with like a 3/7 lava block and it flows/merges with neighboring blocks nicely, but not enough to actually make that block into source block ever again.

I've done the same sort of thing with water, but was never brave enough to introduce that into my mod because that's a really dramatic change.

Edited by Spear and Fang

On 12/20/2021 at 7:02 PM, Minnigin said:

Sevtech modpack for MC removed the source water blocks and it made for funky results, it made me frustrated looking at the "holes" in the lake I was collecting from

I'd have specific conditions by which source blocks could be removed from the world.  This isn't about making infinite water from a water source not a thing.  This is making it impossible to *place* water source blocks.

• Like 2

I like the idea of animal starvation being a factor, however, is there a way to adjust it for multiplayer servers that would not punish the player for not being on constantly? Perhaps a tweak that causes the feeding of animals to either be switched off when the player is not logged in or greatly extending the time before animals weaken and die? I am generally for more immersive realism the better, but at a certain point, it's easy to cross the line into drudgery/grind, and having your animals starve because you couldn't play regularly would be off-putting for a lot of players. I'm prepared to sacrifice a small amount of realism for playability. Otherwise on a MP server, the animals become like tamagatchi. I suppose one could have a friend feed the animals if you can't log in, but that does seem like a lot of extra bother. But I see the risk of MP servers becoming full of bone-littered animal pens...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, Peter Sanderson said:

I like the idea of animal starvation being a factor, however, is there a way to adjust it for multiplayer servers that would not punish the player for not being on constantly? Perhaps a tweak that causes the feeding of animals to either be switched off when the player is not logged in or greatly extending the time before animals weaken and die? I am generally for more immersive realism the better, but at a certain point, it's easy to cross the line into drudgery/grind, and having your animals starve because you couldn't play regularly would be off-putting for a lot of players. I'm prepared to sacrifice a small amount of realism for playability. Otherwise on a MP server, the animals become like tamagatchi. I suppose one could have a friend feed the animals if you can't log in, but that does seem like a lot of extra bother. But I see the risk of MP servers becoming full of bone-littered animal pens...

This is a bit of balance I'm considering, but will likely result in it being a configurable option so that the server owner can decide if it should be:

"Having friend feed the animals if you can't log in", "Log in once an RL week", or "No Starvation at all." or anywhere in between.

On 12/26/2021 at 1:43 PM, Peter Sanderson said:

Does this mod also affect seed drops from non-grain crops? Eg. do you have to harvest from fully grown plants before getting seeds?

Not yet, but it is intended to have multiple stages of growth and, eventually, ways to harvest.  So you could harvest turnips, for instance, once or twice for greens before harvesting the root.  There will also be a 'seeding stage' that may eliminate your actual crop yield since you have to let it go past the harvestable stage.  A lot is being considered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, Vinter Nacht said:

Rye, for instance, drops between 2-4 grains per harvest.  1-2 would be far more in line with modern farming values.

I grew up on a ranch that dabbled in farming, and wheat heads bore 20-30 grains, 40 or more down on the lowlands near the creek. Barley was nearly as good, oats a tad better. We never grew rye. We would bring the seed out to the field in the spring in a pickup, and have to haul home several truckloads at harvest. 

The deal is that a serving of porridge is a whole lot more than the 2 grains you put into the pot, just as it would be more than 1 blueberry. But it takes only around 1.2 seeds (plus whatever the birds get) to average 1 plant. So you are comparing drastically different scales of measure.

If you are going for realism, around the Chicago area, we can plant spring wheat in the fall, harvest it in the spring, and grow a crop of soybeans or maybe even corn by fall. Huge benefit to getting out of the Great White North. ;)

But I don't play the game for realism. If I want that, I'll just shut down the computer and go outside.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.