Homesteading part 2, 6th release candidate (1.16.0-rc.6)

Tyron

Dear Homesteaders
v1.16.0-rc.6, a unstable release, can now be downloaded through the account manager.

When will this bugfixing ever end? Will we still be alive to see the light of 1.16 stable? Do buzzwords like the cloud, NFTs, the Metaverse, 5G and blockchain rank this blog post higher in the google search results? Only time will tell!

Until then, here's some more bugfixes, for us, the "play to have fun" people 😁

Game update

• Tweak: Fine tuned first person attack/interact animations some more
  • Tweak: Added a rare drifter variant to temporal storms, which always drops a temporal gear (With a 20% chance instead of a corrupt/nightmare drifter. Spawns only once per player per storm. Hint: You should be able to increase the chance of it spawning by repeatedly killing corrupt/nightmare drifters)
  • Tweak: When a temporal storm ends, half of the spawned drifters now disappear
  • Tweak: When joining a modded server, the client should now disable mods of the wrong version
  • Tweak: Added server arg --append which prevents the server from clearing the log files on startup
  • Tweak: Updated translation files
  • Fixed: Game crashing when smithing 3 stacked ingots
  • Fixed: Food Servings displaying more than one decimal
  • Fixed: Player began to freeze if temperature was above 30 degrees o.O
  • Fixed: More liquid transfer and liquid crafting oddities
  • Fixed: Game crashing when selecting a propick mode in some cases
  • Fixed: Traders buying/selling old 1.15 crates
  • Fixed: Unknown blocks caused by some 1.15 mushrooms
  • Fixed: Worldmap HUD displayed in front of dialogs
  • Fixed: Create auction slot eating items when cancelling/closing the dialog
  • Fixed: Tree cuttings not growing while in unloaded chunks
  • Fixed: Game crashing when right clicking a barrel with a barrel in hands
  • Api tweak: Able to register a custom fp hand renderer
  • Api tweak: Calling networkChannel.SendPacket() server side without player args now throws an exception

View full record

• Like 4
  • Amazing! 2
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, setne550 said:

Finally. Less bug to worry about it.

Oh no no no, don't speak too soon! I hear that the fruit press is no longer usable.

(。•́︿•̀。)

Fixed: Game crashing when smithing 3 stacked ingots

Known as the Valve can't count to 3 bug

Edited by Smile

Hi, first sorry if this isn't the right spot.

I want to give a little feedback from a new Gamer (bougt this game back in 2019 but played only for 17 hour and now start over, because some friend start playing)
I reenter with 1.15 but switched to 1.16.rc5 and now rc6 after my friends started with 1.16 (don't know why).
I'm in November of my first year, 30 hours in game, have a little House and a few Copper Tools.

Ok, so much to the background.
I think understand why you guys implemented the rift mechanic but it makes the game nearly no fun to me now. Back in 1.15 i could go to sleep early and miss the drifters entirely or have 3-4 arround my base in the morning, wich vanished after sun come up. Now i have nearly every, but surely every second day a rift arround my house. Thats not the problam allone, but now i have now 10+ drifters every night, witch dont vanish when the sun comes up. I have to fight my way out every morning, mostly dying twice or more and when i finaly killed them all it is afternoon.
Maybe this is some kind of challenge for log time players, but for me it is something like a game stoper. I like the game so far, but with this it became  - let me say it in german " ein Krampf" - a circle of wake up, kill 4 rifters, die, respawn, kill 4, die, respawn, run away, collect some food (to not die), come back home, sleep and repeat, that make no fun.
To draw a picture, i collected 10 temporal gears, only from the drifters spawning from the rifts in 1.16, in the last in game month, wich i think is many.

Suggestions? I dont know, maybe reduce the count of drifters spawning and gradualy enhance them over time (years)? A rift protected zone arround your spawnzone maybe?

1 example why i think a protectet zone arround your spawn zone make sense. With my first temporal Gear i moved my spawn into my house. So i respawn in a nearly save environment.
Yesterday after update to rc6, after loading my save i had one time storm incoming, instant after this i had a rift on the wall of my house, wich spawns rifters inside my home and after fighting all that back i have the next rift the next day only 5 block away from the first. After this, my copper sword long broken and no copper left, i had 1 day off pace, before the next rift appers. Like i say, maby for a long time player this is a challange but for a new gamer ist kills the fun.

I think a game should hook new players and lure them in, so that they recomend ther friends, so that the player base and the curtomers who buy the game grows, but at the moment, with this mechanic i cant recomend the game and every one who we show it say, oh, thats a little to extreme - and they play stuff like souls, wih i call "game for masochists" :)

I hope this helps to understand my view of a neewb on the rift mechanic and helps to balance it a bit.

Dia

ps: oh, sorry if my english is terrible, it is not my native language and even in this i suck :)

5 hours ago, DianonForce said:

I think understand why you guys implemented the rift mechanic but it makes the game nearly no fun to me now. Back in 1.15 i could go to sleep early and miss the drifters entirely or have 3-4 arround my base in the morning, wich vanished after sun come up. Now i have nearly every, but surely every second day a rift arround my house. Thats not the problam allone, but now i have now 10+ drifters every night, witch dont vanish when the sun comes up. I have to fight my way out every morning, mostly dying twice or more and when i finaly killed them all it is afternoon.

According to the patch notes, rifts should not spawn near "lit bases", but I have not been able to find out exactly what this requires. For now, perhaps try putting some lamps/lanterns/torches around the outside of your base. Even if there is a rift, drifters should not be able to spawn in places that are brightly lit, so at least make sure there are no dimly-lit places inside your base. (I think surface drifters require a light level of 9 or less to spawn, so if I counted right a lantern should protect about 8 blocks on every side, a torch 4, and an oil lamp only 2).

You can also try making a small fenced area around your base with gates in different directions, so you can lure all the drifters to one side then leave out the other - hopefully after you have been out exploring/resource-gathering for a while, the drifters will have despawned.

Edited by Philtre
light levels

Rifts kept appearing near my small house (sometimes two or three nearby) so I dug a two-block deep trench across the front of the house so the drifters fall in but I can jump over it to leave. It felt a bit janky but I could put up with it. What I didn't like was the fact that I couldn't sleep through a temporal storm (maybe I had to start sleeping before it arrived but I didn't get home quick enough!).

A tainted drifter spawned inside the house even though it was very well lit and the floor covered with (lower) slabs and took me down to 0.5 health which pretty much ruined the next day's plans. I decided to restart and disable temporal storms but that also disabled rifts. Personally I'd like to keep temporal storms (and I don't mind the rifts) so there's always the thrill of getting back to base in time and could put up with not being able to sleep through them - the problem is having drifters spawn inside my house: it almost makes building a house completely pointless.

I used to play in permadeath mode but this mechanic is so unfair I've stopped doing that... 'dying' and respawning is a complete immersion breaker in a survival game IMO. In short, in its present form I don't think there's a happy middle ground - you either put up with dying and respawning or turn off temporal stuff making the game an awful lot easier. I've seen this complaint mentioned many times on the forum but the developers don't seem to take any notice (or maybe they do and choose to ignore it)..

• Tweak: When joining a modded server, the client should now disable mods of the wrong version

This doesnt seem to be working for me. it downloads the correct mods but then every time you try to join, it downloads the new versions again and the client can never connect. if you manually remove the older mods all is well and the client is able to join.

• Cookie time 1

52 minutes ago, Bastez said:

A tainted drifter spawned inside the house even though it was very well lit and the floor covered with (lower) slabs and took me down to 0.5 health which pretty much ruined the next day's plans.

As far as I can figure out, that's not supposed to happen except during temporal storms (anything can happen during temporal storms - your only option for a safe-room is a space physically too small for drifters to spawn in, using vertical slabs or chiselling or what-have-you). So it seems that rifts are maybe a bit buggy? (Or I just don't understand the code...)

17 hours ago, DianonForce said:

Maybe this is some kind of challenge for log time players, but for me it is something like a game stoper. I like the game so far, but with this it became  - let me say it in german " ein Krampf" - a circle of wake up, kill 4 rifters, die, respawn, kill 4, die, respawn, run away, collect some food (to not die), come back home, sleep and repeat, that make no fun.
To draw a picture, i collected 10 temporal gears, only from the drifters spawning from the rifts in 1.16, in the last in game month, wich i think is many.

Suggestions? I dont know, maybe reduce the count of drifters spawning and gradualy enhance them over time (years)? A rift protected zone arround your spawnzone maybe?

1 example why i think a protectet zone arround your spawn zone make sense. With my first temporal Gear i moved my spawn into my house. So i respawn in a nearly save environment.
Yesterday after update to rc6, after loading my save i had one time storm incoming, instant after this i had a rift on the wall of my house, wich spawns rifters inside my home and after fighting all that back i have the next rift the next day only 5 block away from the first. After this, my copper sword long broken and no copper left, i had 1 day off pace, before the next rift appers. Like i say, maby for a long time player this is a challange but for a new gamer ist kills the fun.

I think a game should hook new players and lure them in, so that they recomend ther friends, so that the player base and the curtomers who buy the game grows, but at the moment, with this mechanic i cant recomend the game and every one who we show it say, oh, thats a little to extreme - and they play stuff like souls, wih i call "game for masochists" :)

I hope this helps to understand my view of a neewb on the rift mechanic and helps to balance it a bit.

I have tried new version. I think i can no longer be called noob,so i can give my look on new updates. :)

I have similar thoughts about this game, but mostly for single player game. It is great and challenging when you are used to mechanics and have gathered some recources already, but it's quite hard for new players as there aren't any in-game tutorials (except guide and handbook). I also experienced problems with new players on server i played in time ago. So i could agree on that with you - game can be hard on you when you are new player.

And i am not talking about myself - i like that challenge. But i can't get my friends to play this game because i have to explain every thing to them which makes game not fun for them as they aren't so good with english to use guides themselves. You also mentioned english not being native language. I think that is the problem - not the game being hard itself. :) I have watched tons of letsplays on youtube and many of them have inspired me to change game style few times. You could try that too. Maybe try exploration mode with some custom settings at first.

About rifts. I have played enough to compare with situation before. Before 1.16, maybe you were safe at home, but it was not so fun exploring areas during nights as drifters spawned so random i was imposiible to predict. Now with rifts - i must say seeing them spawn is more logical. And the rift sound can tell you trouble is near. So for me...walking around now feels more safe, as i know when area could be dangerous. Wolves however can still be surprise for me. :) Had one rift near my base but not so close it would cause some problems. So maybe try lighting area more with torches - that should keep your area rift-free.

Dev team is always tuning and improving this game, so your constructive feedback is very welcome. Things will also be fixed it that will be too much of a problem.

Having rock throwing drifters can make game also hard for newbies as without shield as it constantly hits to you. So only suggestion is not to rush game so much, pan sand in safe areas while you get saw.  Once you get saw thus planks and other important things for survival, you can get shield and life becomes much more easier. I played recenty with my kids - they love minecraft. So shield tactic is known to them. That way there were able to survive fights which they weren't able sometimes before 1.16. That gives me hope things get better as we speak. :)

Also I could suggest for you to find server where you could join and play together with some other players..thus feeling more safe. But then again i can say from my own experience - it won't be too fun, if everyting will be given to you without challenge. And more populated servers have some huge problem - food spoils even if 1 player is online as time keeps going. And not every player would wan't to play as coop. So yea...its hard to find ballance so game can be fun to all.  As i have learned to survive quite well I am willing sometimes to find some buddy from europe myself to play with just to be able to share my knowledge about this game and share the fun this game can give. But it is not possible for me to play every day so now no luck yet as most of the servers have players from different time zones and together with food issue i mentioned before multiplayer game has it's downsides as well.

Be strong, my friend. Most of the negative experience i see in forums comes from very early experience in game. After you will get more copper, things won't be so hard - trust me. ;) I hope devs will figure out some game mechanic to help noobies without making game simply easier. Till then...just start with exploreation mode instead of standart mode. Maybe make tools more durable and food keeping you full for longer in custom settings. After youll get used to game, you will miss those days looking for copper or being happy about every good vessel you found in ruins. ;)

Edited by Domkrats

Just one idea, miltiplicator settings for rifts and spawning rifters should be easy to implement in my opinion and players can better adjust the game to ther liking / skills, without deactivating one mechanic coomplete. So it ist also better scaleable for multiplayer or singelplayer.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.