Windmill questions

Philtre
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

So now that I need to spam lanterns to riftproof the area around my base, I need to get my helve hammer setup streamlined.

1. What is the best way to run multiple items off of one windmill? Is the big cogwheel the best option? (I don't have a need to adjust torque/speed.)

2. Is there any way to run an axle line into a building while keeping the room winterproof?

• Like 2

• Solution
8 hours ago, Philtre said:

1. What is the best way to run multiple items off of one windmill? Is the big cogwheel the best option? (I don't have a need to adjust torque/speed.)

You need to use the big cogwheel to split power, yes. Unfortunately that also acts as a big accelerator gear, so you're going to lose a lot of torque. The counter to that is using a second big cogwheel as a reduction gear further up.

Connect your windmill rotor with an angle gear to the rim (not the shaft) of a large gear. That is your reduction gear. Now bring the shaft down into your workshop, and connect your consumers with angle gears to the rim (not the shaft) of a second large gear. That is your accelerator. The two will cancel each other out, and the system will act as if you had zero large gears, but you are still splitting power.

8 hours ago, Philtre said:

2. Is there any way to run an axle line into a building while keeping the room winterproof?

Not without installing a mod, no. That said, your forge gives off plenty of heat. You'll have to live with the +25% winter food usage penalty, but you're not going to freeze.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:55 AM, Philtre said:

I have already suggested that the axle could be considered as a block for this same reason, so that the room effect would not be ruined. Another solution could be to create another kind of axle, with thermal insulation (could be somewhat more complicated to build).

I build a glass box at the center of the windmill. This box is surrounded  by the mechanized devices. The box is small, just have 2 forges inside, it's generally enough. The doors are right in front of the anvils, so I can put ingots without moving. You can even let the doors opened, you keep the thermal insulation.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use one big gear to drive three other machines at a 1:1 ratio. Just power a small gear (pinion) and connect it to the big gear's teeth (not its axle) and you can connect three other small gears (pinions) to the big gear's teeth and the torque and speed will be the same for the output pinions as the input pinion. The input pinion will drive the big gear, which drives the three output pinions. You can also connect two loads to the big gear's shaft (one at each end) if you want.

Whether the windmill can power three heave hammers at normal speed though will be another question...

Edited by Silent Shadow

On 1/29/2022 at 2:37 AM, Silent Shadow said:

Whether the windmill can power three heave hammers at normal speed though will be another question...

Four windmills connected to a single large gear are definitely enough to power three helve hammers (provided wind his high enough).  I've got such a setup and when wind was high I had trouble keeping iron blooms on the helve hammers.

• 10 months later...

sorry for necro, but heres what i had planned on doing, set up four windmills, connect each to large gear, drop down from the large gear on those, to another large gear , that will able to  angle gear/drive the various devices ( hammer, pulverizer , and quern) .. will that work, or am i over-engineering it?

Edited by Anthony frailey

39 minutes ago, Anthony frailey said:

sorry for necro, but heres what i had planned on doing, set up four windmills, connect each to large gear, drop down from the large gear on those, to another large gear , that will able to  angle gear/drive the various devices ( hammer, pulverizer , and quern) .. will that work, or am i over-engineering it?

not only that, but also allows starters' speed multiplier for up to *5.5 multiplication.

look at the essay below:

Four full rotors at height 170 (110 of sea + 10 + 50 for 50% bonus) will allow torque of *4, which allows speed multiplier of up to *5.5 if having good wind such as 85-95%.

It is better of course to have 8 rotors to be non-starter :) ...

Use one consumer device at the time.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:55 AM, Philtre said:

Is there any way to run an axle line into a building while keeping the room winterproof?

BTW the best solution of this is to bring the power from the floor rather via the roof. I.e. put the windmill tower next to the forging area and not on top of the forging area, bring the axle to the ground, and then get up to the forgery.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.