Cubic clouds don't fit to game

Laskuna

Dont understand me wrong. They looks good, but no longer fit to the game visual design. Game becaming less and less simple cubic look, and everything have more and more details (old and new trees for example).

Cloud already existing in game its a big progress since minecraft, they have volume whats have matter when you climb to big mountain...

hqdefault.jpg

But can be even better . Technology to blur stuff it's already in game, rifts looks great, maybe devs can use it to making more realistic clouds, if that don't ruin performance.

Personally, I love the clouds. I never noticed them as actually standing out for being too blocky or anything else. And I do LOVE looking at the clouds at sunrise or sunset. I've seen mods for those who prefer a round sun and moon, so maybe making the clouds accessible to modding or easier to mod could be an option. So those who want them changed can and those who like them can leave them as they are. If that is feasible I don't know. :)

Maybe the clouds shouldn't render the faces that connect to other parts of the cloud, that's what giving them a lot of the jarring unpolished look. Make them a solid mass, not a loose pile of cubes.

Edited by Jan Hošek
  • Like 3

The thing with clouds is that they are rendered as any other cube , with texture only applied to faces and since they are transparent its those textures that change how everything looks behind clouds , so if we removed faces between cloud cubes they would look the same (collor wise) no matter how thick they were. If we want them to look better i think we should change how they are rendered first , for example game engine should see them as region of space that becomes more opaque the thicker it is (from point of observation) kinda like mist (cluds are the same thing as mist irl so why not in game) and then render them as gradient of more and more opaque color ( depending on weather , season, cloud type and maybe relative sun position . Color would change in gradient as well going from white to light pink/red on sunset for example). Even if clouds are just a background they play vital role in building climat of this game so at some point they should be upgraded but for now there are many more glaring isues and important features to be added, like better fighting system or large scale world generation.

So overal i agree that clouds should be changed but not now and change shouldnt be in what shape they are but how are they rendered and how they behave. I have some additional ideas for upgrading clouds that i could write down here if anyone is interested.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.