Mod/Feature Request: Growing Trees

Drago

Oh heh.. thanks @Erik for mentioning me. And yeah, I looove Dynamic Trees and I want it!

My plan was to ask the author of the mod and adapting the code for Vintage Story. The main reason the mod was laid on ice was because I had no idea how to have trees that can grow larger than just one block in width, and I felt like that is kind of necessary because Vintage Story already has big trees and big trees are awesome! If I started implementing the system for 1 block wide trees and then wanted to tack on bigger ones, ... I fear I'd have to redo everything anyway.

@Drago No sorry, I don't see it. I don't think an addon could add larger trees like that if the base mod doesn't. It would actually be quite complicated. Even trees that are usually 2x2 in Vanilla Minecraft such as dark oak are just a 1 wide with Dynamic Trees.

One issue is the amount of block IDs this could take up. Like with 1 wide trees it would be about (num_wood_types * orientations * num_growth_stages * factor_leaves). The factor_leaves being how many blocks have a leaves version as well as a normal version. Let's use 1.5 but it could easily be more. That's already 6 tree types (probably more coming in the future or from mods) and let's go with 8 growth stages => 6 * 6 * 8 * 1.5 => 432.

With trees that grow beyond 1 block, assuming branches will never grow wider than a block, you'd already have (8 + 4 * num_1wide_growth_stages) for each additional growth stage, up to a 3x3 at least. That is, 8 for the sides and corners, and 4 * 8 for for the side with a branch growing out of it. So... let's say you want 3x3 wide trees, you get: (6 * (6 * 8 * 1.5 + 1 + 16 * (8 + 4 * 8))) => 4278!!! And that is without trees larger than 3x3 (although that is less of a problem), branches that are 1 block thick at most (more of a problem if you want larger ones), and only 6 tree types.

Perhaps you can cheese the number of blocks by applying some tricks, or resort to not using separate block types for everything, but alternatives likely have some caveats as well.

I really love these trees. With the branch blocks that we have in The Neolithic Mod, We could achieve a start to that, just by creating some tree schematics. The problems start when we try to make it random.  Honestly, I think the whole random thing is a bit overrated. If we had 6 different schematics for each tree type it would be enough. 

@Erik          That's epic! I gotta ask what their implementation looks like / uses to make this possible! I wonder if it can support trees growing a full 3x3 blocks or larger even larger.

@tony Liberatto The goal is not to have random looking trees but that they can grow dynamically, and over time, depending on a number of factors, for example, more space for leaves => more energy from sunlight => tree grows larger. It could even be expanded to use nutrients from the ground and when low on nutrients it would cause smaller / weaker trees, even (though probably too complicated for the base game).

Archived