Is it possible to move to a warmer climate?

Builder Bob

Hey folks,

I'd like to relocate to somewhere warmer in my world.

Is it possible to move far enough to affect the average temperature?

How would you determine which way to go (north or south)?  Is there some way to determine the direction to the equator?  

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely, you can do that.

Vintage Story simulates realworld climate bands as good as it can on an infinite level surface. One of the config options for each world is called "pole-equator distance", and depending on the preset you picked when starting this world, it is likely either 50,000 or 100,000. That's, quite literally, the number of blocks between a pole and an equator. Each time you pass a pole, it's that distance to the next equator. Each time you pass an equator, it's that distance to the next pole. There's a theoretically infinite number of both, in both the northward and southward directions. In practical application, the world border exists and will cut you off eventually. But by default that's 1 million by 1 million blocks, centered on your spawn, so you can walk a long while before you get anywhere near it.

Between the poles and equator, there's a climate simulation running. The closer you are to a pole, the colder it is; the closer to an equator, the warmer. The sun follows the correct seasonal shifts; in the northern hemisphere, days are longer in summer and shorter in winter, and the temperature changes along. This flips at the equator and reverses in the southern hemisphere. There, it is also summer in January and winter in July. Close enough to the poles, you can get a polar night (the sun never rises at all) or a midnight sun (the sun never sets at all), depending on time of year.

Your world spawn / zero coordinate at default settings is at roughly 47.5° north. To get to warmer areas, walk south. You can check your current latitude with the command /wgen pos latitude. Far enough to the south (like 25° or lower), you may encounter different flora and fauna.

The east-west direction has no influence on climate bands. Only north-south does.

• Like 3

With luck you find also a translocator - which teleports you some thousand blocks southwards, some people did think, most translocators are near by traders.

With deafult settings you can also walk (2-3 ingame-days) until you see redwoods, they have winters too, but you will see, winters here are not very cold and even also without snow. In a multiplayer world, I have a base in these redwoods, I can made agriculture between march/november, for some fruits with cold resistance even for the whole year. Peanuts growing in a green house for the whole year. Summers are not too hot too, I love the northern redwoods-zones :D - either too cold, neither too hot.

Edited by RobinHood

• 1 month later...

Starting at block 0, my husband and I travelled 11,000 blocks before we saw a solid shift in climate and we only stopped there because we found our first translocator so we're building a house near by. It's noticeably more temperate though. Doesn't get as snowy for as long in the winter, crops have a longer sustainable outdoor growth period, not as depressingly rainy, but it comes with it's own quirks.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:43 PM, Garjouan said:

Is there a way to change the starting position to be more north/south?

In addition to what /u/rowwie said, if you forgot to specify it at worldgen, you could always "tp" to a more agreeable starting location.

Or switch to creative move ("gamemode creative") and "fly" south, like a little birdie.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:00 PM, rowwie said:

Starting at block 0, my husband and I travelled 11,000 blocks before we saw a solid shift in climate

Consider that the default pole to equator distance is 100,000 blocks, it doesn't surprise me you traveled so far for such a small change in climate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.