Mod compatibility patch and .net7 experimental build (v1.17.11 and net7-v.1.17.11)

Tyron

Dear Extraordinary Survivalists
v1.17.11, a stable release, can now be downloaded through the account manager.

Version 1.18 still will take some time - here are a few important bugfixes for 1.17.
Plus one new major release! @Th3Dilli has been hard at work upgrading our codebase to the latest .net framework. This has the potential to yield a significant performance boost for free, since .net 7 compiles to native code! It is currently an experimental build that we invite you to try out and see if there are any issues with it. Please download it from info.vintagestory.at/v117-net7

Aw, no 1.18 yet
Indeed. The main story event is a very large undertaking - in need of several new smaller systems to make it all work. We'd also like you to have a complete lore experience already from the first pre-release, as well as try to minimze world gen changes during pre and rc releases, which means we need to prepare better. That being said, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, so to speak. Although estimating release dates for games and software are notoriously hard, I still believe we have a good chance to get 1.18 to a rc.1 state within Q1 2023, as mentioned in the previous post. Do keep in mind though, rc.1 is not a stable version.

2023-01-29_14-14-25.thumb.png.07b361eeb36995b91a8fe03186869275.png
Screenshot by nebux#0287 as shared on discord

Game updates in 1.17.11

• Fixed: Rotating a chiseled block broke its side solid properties
  • Fixed: Hacked locusts despawning in some cases
  • Fixed: When attempting to join a modded server, mod load errors are no longer silently ignored and instead the game stops and displays an error
  • Fixed: Game crashing when clicking buy/sell in the trader dialog then quickly switching tabs
  • Fixed: Lightning rods not working on chunk reload
  • Api Fixed: Compatibility lib no longer working for json patches
  • Api Fixed: Exception thrown by the Compatibility lib on some patches
  • Api Fixed: Barrel content names not respecting mod domain
  • Api Fixed: Barrel recipe ingredients with a wildcard threw an exception if no wildcard name was defined
  • Api Fixed: FakeDictionary.Clone() not working correctly

View full record

• Like 3
  • Amazing! 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tyron said:

Plus one new major release! @Th3Dilli has been hard at work upgrading our codebase to the latest .net framework. This has the potential to yield a significant performance boost for free, since .net 7 compiles to native code! It is currently an experimental build that we invite you to try out and see if there are any issues with it. Please download it from info.vintagestory.at/v117-net7

Quick question - can you play on the normal servers with the experimental build? [EDIT] Nevermind, I read the answer. :P

• As far as game content is concerned, this version should be idential to the standard .net 4 v1.17.11 version and also freely interoperate between both versions on multiplayer.
Edited by Ezra
  • Like 2

I gave the two versions a quick test.
This is my first time getting back in after version 1.16.5, so i benchmarked that too for comparison and had to upgrade my world.

fullscreen 50 fps avg, min 45 fps
borderless windowed 50 fps avg, min 45 fps, felt choppy despite same framerate

1.17.11 (.net4)
fullscreen 26-30, min 6-14
borderless 20-27, min 8-16

1.17.11 (.net7)
fullscreen 27-30, min 14-23
borderless 28-30, 14-15

I was stood in the same spot, looking roughly in the same direction. Some ingame time had passed by, which could've affected things due to weather etc. Framerate seemed heavily varied even when standing still.
I only gave each run a few minutes, I don't know if maybe the new versions do some aggressive caching upon world load compared to 1.16.5.

I didn't see a huge improvement between the two .net versions but then again, neither my CPU nor GPU were pegged at 100% which is very annoying, given how I've got high end hardware (5950x, 6900xt, 64gb ram). My ram never got close to 75% usage, and the game is installed on an SSD. I was running in 4k maxed settings, google chrome being the only intensive app open on the side, with a couple streams playing.

Another thing of note, I'm using the latest "stable" AMD graphics drivers (22.5.1). I've got a very negative experience with AMD drivers in the time I've used them (i've tried the beta drivers, but they caused graphical glitches in some games, and still retain other issues), especially users running multiple monitors tend to be most affected (myself included, I'm suffering from stutters on a daily basis), so it's possible that the performance hit between 1.16.5 and 1.17.11 comes from driver issues.

Also, borderless windowed mode in the .net7 version didn't frame the game properly. The place where the titlebar used to be would still be cut off after switching the window mode.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Posting here to confirm my framerate did not improve after updating my AMD drivers to version 23.3.1
Even at the lowest internal resolution setting, I'm peaking at 30 fps. GPU usage does seem to be roughly at 100% though the card runs about 10c cooler than other games that max it out. And to reiterate, I'm experiencing no performance issues in other games.

Weird. I'm getting quite respectable results with my ancient (in computer-speak) box I built in, I think '15. Overclocked i7 6700K, goosed 980 Ti, antique SSD, and still running Win7, runs this just fine. Granted, I'm not doing the whizbang graphics settings -- ultra high says it's getting 55, 51 or so min, but it just feels a little off. High graphics cruises along in the upper 70s, low 80s, only occasional spikes. Absolute maximum is somewhere in the 30s typically, but it drops to mid 20s or even the upper teens from time to time, frequent stutters, as in if sprinting, one every 10-15 seconds. Suffice it to say, not an enjoyable experience.

It is a marked improvement over 1.17.11, at least on my box.

[EDIT]

Oh, and I have Brave open with 33 tabs, most of them Amazon, NotePad++ with 8 tabs, and a program called Simple Sudoku. There are also 6 file manager windows if those count.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

Just gave it another whirl. I'm not seeing any difference in terms of responsiveness between Absolute Minimum and Medium. Sprinting for a minute or two makes High just a tad less responsive, but looks like that's probably mapgen. Stopping sprinting and doing things like harvesting reeds or digging clay for 10-15 seconds it gets back to where I can't see any difference between High and Absolute Minimum.

[/EDIT2]

Edited by Thorfinn

Here's the only issue I've run into more than once, apart from some graphics artifacts:

image.png.b43beca0ddd2c2e4c6417ae42d6add13.png

Happens when Quitting from the main menu. I'm pretty sure it doesn't always do it, but it's been that way six times in a row now. Whether I load the savegame and quit immediately,  or play a few minutes. Same with creating a newgame. Doesn't matter how long I play it. Crash to, um, Main Menu, I guess.

[EDIT]

Incidentally, I can only access this popup by Ctrl-Alt-Del, start Task Manager. Alt-Tab does not cut it, even with an instance of Task Manager running.

[/EDIT]

And once it gets to that state, I cannot seem to close out without using Task Manager to End Task. Or maybe it just takes longer than a dozen tries clicking on "OK" in the above popup.

[EDIT2]

Hey, I just got it to crash same way with just opening the Main Menu and clicking "Quit". Might have always done that, though. I don't believe I have ever tried it.

[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]

I just figured out why I did not encounter that message all the time. I often Alt-Tab out of the Main Menu and just leave VS running. Or I convert it to windowed and minimize it. Sometimes my inability to grasp the obvious amazes even me.

For the record, I'm the guy whose kids keep telling me, "Dad, your phone is running 37 apps in the background! You should close them instead of..." well, whatever it was that I did instead. One would think that someone who can type "G=C800:5" in his sleep could remember whether to push the circle or square, but NOOOO.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

18.6 .net7 release still has the same crash-on-exit error. Performance on ultra-high is a tad less -- average 53, minimum 48. If I'm sprinting all the time (and, more or less, I am) it feels a just little hinky. Stand still and in a dozen seconds or so everything smooths out. But on High, it's a bit better than 1.17. Almost a rock steady 80.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Mind=blown 1

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.