1.18 copper

Scorpinax

I swear surface deposits of copper bits were made more rare this update because I can't find hardly any anymore. Before I could find multiple deposits of copper on the surface, since 1.18 I have found a a single surface deposit. Went creative and flew around for literally 2 hours and found practically nothing. Extremely frustrating since it's absolutely essential to progressing, anyone else experiencing this? 

I think they might spawn less frequently because the world is "noisier" with the new terrain generator. There may be fewer places where it can spawn.

That said, I've seen surface copper deposits generate. Spotted around a dozen in my current 1.18 playthrough.

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I think they might spawn less frequently because the world is "noisier" with the new terrain generator. 

Honestly think the new generation is partially to blame because I keep finding a single copper bit on the side of cliffs. As if it cut off generation partially.

Of course I could just be getting unlucky but I've never had this much trouble getting surface copper before. Im about to just make a new world with copper set to uncommon instead of the default rare

I had the same experience in 1.18, finding copper very rarely and then it be only one copper bit. That was with an "uncommon" setting which is what I usually choose. However one deposit had the largest amount of surface copper I'd ever seen. So.... not sure what to make of it yet.

I'm not finding it that much different, once I adjust for the fact I'm searching only about half as much due to rougher terrain. On default wilderness settings, I'm still making molds and crucible at the first clay or peat (whichever is later) in suitable rock. Plus a small 1 block charcoal pit. I'm still almost always pouring hammer and pick by sunset of day 2, often propick, too.

The new terrain makes it much more likely to find exposed veins of ore, so propick is lasting longer, too.

I'm also having a few problems finding surface copper, in my current game I've scavanged enough to make a pick & hammer but struggling to get much else.

However 1.18 seems to have increased the amount of gravel in the worldgen (well at least mine) and some of the copper I found came from vast areas of gravel I have nearby.  So I think my next strategy is increased panning, as I don't really want to waste my one and only copper pick digging speculative tunnels.

Edited by Hafthohlladung

HI,
I noticed that in the creation of a new world, if you go to its customization and look among the various options there is one regarding surface copper where by default it is set to "Rare" I think that is the cause.

I don't remember if in my old pre 1.18 world there was that option and if by chance it had other wordings, but sure as hell, if you change that item the old story changes.
Me in my new world since I'm literally playing the game a third time I changed the entry from Rare to Common and I must say that now copper happens to me as often as before :)

29 minutes ago, Jackal Black said:

I don't remember if in my old pre 1.18 world there was that option and if by chance it had other wordings,

Yes, it's been there for a while. Maybe since 1.16?

Since that setting has been available, I've been setting copper to Uncommon and did notice a change (as I noted above).

Edited by dakko

• 3 months later...

I'm new to the game, so I don't have a legacy opinion. Though I actually did come to the forum to talk about how much I am struggling to find surface copper! I have resorted to panning though that is a recipe in tedium bahaha. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on finding it? Maybe I'm just blind AHA. I spent a good 45 minutes looking at every rock I came across. Only found 3 or so little chunks of copper or about 10~ units or something. Panning has been a lot better time / gains though it's psychologically rough.

A couple, ok a few, options...

1. Run through gravel and sandy biomes.  No grass makes seeing copper nuggets easier.
2. Start wildfires to clear grass and bushes.  No grass makes seeing copper nuggets easier.  
3. Run far and wide.
4. Abandon the current world and increase surface copper abundance in the world settings when creating a new world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

5. Nerdpole/ladder up 15-20 or more so you get a bird's eye view. (Ladder is my preference because you only have to break the one on the bottom to get them all back.) This gives you a pretty good shot at noticing bears and wolves, too.

11 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

A couple, ok a few, options...

1. Run through gravel and sandy biomes.  No grass makes seeing copper nuggets easier.
2. Start wildfires to clear grass and bushes.  No grass makes seeing copper nuggets easier.  
3. Run far and wide.
4. Abandon the current world and increase surface copper abundance in the world settings when creating a new world.

Thank you both, I'll have to try this! I think I might just be blind BAHAHA. I appreciate the advice though 🙂

If you are having trouble getting used to the perspective, try the mod Zoom Button to confirm what you think are copper bits. Pretty soon, you'll gain confidence in your ability to see copper, flax, terra preta, distinguish between rye and spelt, between wolves and pigs, etc., at a distance, and won't need it.

If you are a purist, technically, I don't think its "cheating" because it's just automating the Field of View slider from the game settings page.

Running around sand/gravel areas is also a good way to spot lead and some other minerals sulfur, coal, alum, etc. if the sand/gravel is sedimentary in nature; e.g. shale, claystone, etc. since those minerals can leave surface bits.  There are also rare times you can find silver or gold bits on the surface as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.