Exploiting Bugs

Steel General

Very handy for the early game, I've noticed that very small amounts of food are extremely filling.  I wait until I've taken a bit of starvation damage, then eat a single berry, grain, or other small-value item.  I'm now good to sprint for most of the day with no ill effects.  If you eat more than one item it won't work - your satiety will crash right away.

I'm not sure rationing is supposed to be that effective.

In the past, I've eschewed bush meat for its high fuel cost, but it turns out I was cooking it wrong.  Put a stack in the fire and pull it out before it cooks; repeat.  As long as nothing finishes cooking, the stack gets hotter and hotter.  When you've got it to efficient cooking temperatures, drop one piece at a time from the stack into the fire, replace it when it cooks.  Far less fuel is required for the stack like this.

In this case, I think resetting the stack's temperature might be a bug, and I'm avoiding a bug rather than exploiting one.

4 hours ago, Steel General said:

Very handy for the early game, I've noticed that very small amounts of food are extremely filling.  I wait until I've taken a bit of starvation damage, then eat a single berry, grain, or other small-value item.  I'm now good to sprint for most of the day with no ill effects.  If you eat more than one item it won't work - your satiety will crash right away.

I never got that to work before, but I just tried it again, and sure enough. I must have held down right click too long and ate two berries or something. I usually just hold down right click while running until the satiation bar moves, and looks like that is quite often two berries. And since I couldn't get it to work, I never bothered to try it ever again. You are right. Feels a little cheaty for 1 berry to tide you over for a full day of sprinting (from start to just after midnight of day 1, in addition to your normal baskets, plus a stack of clay and a stack of peat.)

I don't think it's probably worth it, unless you are playing Snowball or something. The food is all over the place, and at that stage in the game, getting my hit points up is a priority, so the first thing I craft after a knife is a torch to put in off-hand, and I take a short fall or a bit of drowning damage so I'm injured so as to burn through food faster. But that does explain why sometimes it seemed my bar would just flippin' stall out when I'd really prefer to keep boosting HP. 

Edited by Thorfinn

21 hours ago, Steel General said:

You're correct in the outcome but incorrect on the reasoning. The food cost to restore health is the same as the damage loss from starvation, so no profit there.
What's instead happening is that you're eating your berries slowly which allows you to get the most food invincibility out of them. If you eat them back-to-back (like most players would) then you're essentially wasting the hunger pause as it caps out at whatever the saturation level of the food is. I personally don't agree with the system and especially not its implementation, but I'd rather players know about it than wonder why they're suddenly eating way less now that they're preparing their meals in a bowl.

Edited by Omega Haxors
  • Like 1

You can use your crafting grid as a temporary storage spot giving you up to 9 extra slots to store things. Great in the early game when you are trying to make storage and need that extra 1-2 slots to get those ingredients home. The down sides are that you have to toss the stuff out of the crafting window to craft and that if you accidentally close the crafting window you will drop all the stuff (I often do this oops when I close my map by hitting escape instead of the X on the window).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Omega Haxors said:

What's instead happening is that you're eating your berries slowly which allows you to get the most food invincibility out of them.

Wait, what? There IS a food invincibility for eating food less than 100 SAT? Never noticed that before. So cranberries might be the power berry, because they last twice as long as other berries and because of their lower SAT, you end up with more food invincibilities per SAT? And flax grain is not only the best thing since sliced bread, it's actually better, because it lasts much longer and you end up with more hunger invulnerabilities per SAT? And you have a metric crapton of it sitting around anyway.

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedivere. (Not making fun of you. More of me, since I had never noticed this in hundreds of hours of play time.)

Again, I don't think it helps much if your goal is to get your HP up, but once you get fruit capped, you might as well stretch the berries. Etc.

2 hours ago, Vallen said:

(I often do this oops when I close my map by hitting escape instead of the X on the window).

I did not know that. I often slid it off to the side to be out of the way of other windows, but holding down ALT to get the mouse look back while also holding down CTRL and W to sprint was such a pain. He asked hopefully, "Or is there a way to toggle mouse look?" 

i'm hesitant to try answering that, but i'm also curious because i always play in immersive mouse mode
does alt work the opposite way in regular mode, to let you control the camera instead of a cursor?
i like using immersive mouse mode so i can open a container, walk away and open another
...if i switched modes, would alt allow me to do the same? but i like it, anyway
would your woes be solved by switching mouse modes? then you can have inventory up and be able to look around

2 hours ago, Straille said:

if i switched modes, would alt allow me to do the same?

Yes. You can pivot in place, facing all directions, even move some. I think the limit is the distance you can open a chest from. 4-5 blocks, maybe, but it can allow you to go through a door and move stuff from one container to another in a different room.

Can you move in immersive, or just mouse look?

On 8/18/2023 at 10:31 AM, Thorfinn said:

Wait, what? There IS a food invincibility for eating food less than 100 SAT? Never noticed that before. So cranberries might be the power berry, because they last twice as long as other berries and because of their lower SAT, you end up with more food invincibilities per SAT? And flax grain is not only the best thing since sliced bread, it's actually better, because it lasts much longer and you end up with more hunger invulnerabilities per SAT? And you have a metric crapton of it sitting around anyway.

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedivere. (Not making fun of you. More of me, since I had never noticed this in hundreds of hours of play time.)

Again, I don't think it helps much if your goal is to get your HP up, but once you get fruit capped, you might as well stretch the berries. Etc.

Food invincibility duration is based on the saturation provided, the only thing that gives you a bonus over ignorant players is the knowledge that it doesn't stack.
For example, if you ate a food item with 100 sat and it had a modifier 0.1 that would mean you'd get an invisible 10 extra saturation.

Edited by Omega Haxors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.