What happened to marble/limestone ruins?

Thorfinn
Go to solution Solved by ifoz,

Weren't those a thing? Six or eight or however many pillars there were in I think a temple? And I thought there were some others.

Most ruins are now the local material, and there are some oddball ones here and there, but I have not seen that one in a month of Sundays.

Or was that a mod?

I've seen standard limestone ruins, I think, in the biomes where limestone is the predominant rock type. I know the kind you're talking about though--I had a four pillar altar thing on one of my old worlds. That world was modded, and I've since removed the mods adding ruins and have not seen one like it since. So I'm guessing it's either a very rare vanilla ruin, or something modded(probably the most likely).

Do you run the Better Ruins mod? I'm thinking that one was the likely culprit. It could have also been something from Primitive Survival, although this one seems a bit less likely.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

I think you're talking about the "ancient" ruins, made from unique "ancient" blocks, not limestone or marble.
I haven't seen any since 1.18, though they were indeed in the vanilla game at least back then.
I have some screenshots of them from a completely un-modded world.

Building materials traders can still sell the "ancient" blocks though I think.

I don't know where they went!
I'll keep you posted if I suddenly start finding them again.

image.thumb.png.f018e342adb97107b8ec6d0e38a6cf77.png
This screenshot is from back in 1.18. This is fully vanilla though.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ifoz said:

I don't know where they went!

Going back and rewatching the 1.19 feature trailer; 1.19 reworked the ruins and made them a little bigger and more interesting. Since you confirmed that the marble ruin is a vanilla feature, I suspect it's either been removed from the game entirely due to no longer fitting the lore's direction, or it's been reworked so much that it's unrecognizable now. It's still also possible that it's a very rare spawn, although this seems unlikely for a ruin that is rather simple. It could also still be in the game files but just be prevented from spawning in worlds as it awaits a rework later. Hard to say for certain.

I did see them frequently in 1.18 though. They reminded me of those little star shrines from a mod for a different game. I dug under the pillars on the first one I found and was disappointed to find no treasure. 🤣

• Like 2

That particular ancient ruin was easier to find with the old colored map since they usually made a distinctive pattern of white dots there.  The ruin itself was also often buried with only the tips of the columns showing.  (I recall digging one out of sand more than once.)

It could be rarer now with the revised ruin generation and number of ruins.  Or simply harder to see unless one essentially walks on top of it.

• Like 1

There are a few of the older ruins I don't think I've seen lately. And, yeah, when I was playing MP, a lot of time the map was on, so those really stuck out. There was another kind of similar one, two rows of pillars, always white. I don't think I've seen the house that had a basement. I think I've seen some of the others. But I'm not really looking for ruins, either.

More of a, "Yanno, it's been a long time since I've seen X."

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Are you talking about the stonehenge type ruin?  If so those are a lot more rare but with all the running around you claim to do you should find at least one or two of those lying around.

This current game, I put almost 2 stacks of flax seeds before I began a world tour to find limestone or chalk. By the time I got back home, June 7 or 8, I had another 4+ stacks of flax seeds, and obviously, all the turnips were ready. Even cabbage was almost ready. No idea what I'm going to do with all that linen, but I went ahead and planted them anyway. 

It was on that tour, where the only lime I found was a small chalk seam in a cliff face, that I realized I wasn't even seeing those white ruins which, at a distance, look like a possible limestone outcrop.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.