Darkness at night?

ZanyScum
Go to solution Solved by Maelstrom,

Is it normal to not see ANYTHING at night?

Do I have to change the settings (gamma?) or something? Or is it normal for this game to not see anything at night if you don't have fire/light/torches?

• Solution
Posted (edited)

It is typical for night to be exceedingly dark.  This is intentional by the devs and also why a torch before the first nightfall is a critical day one objective.

Welcome to Vintage Survival... err, Vintage Story where even the dirt wants to kill you. 😊

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZanyScum said:

Do I have to change the settings (gamma?) or something? Or is it normal for this game to not see anything at night if you don't have fire/light/torches?

You could try tinkering with the settings and see if it helps, but otherwise yeah that's normal. As others here have said, the player is intended to get a torch before nightfall, or at least a campfire. I think on nights that have a full moon(or close to it), you'll have a bit more visibility that you normally would, but it's still ideal to have a torch or other portable light source if you're going to be traveling at night.

Alternatively, you could also start in one of the climate zones further to the north, and have some light practically the entire day...as long as it's summer, that is. I don't recommend starting in those zones if you're brand new to the game, however, as they come with more challenges to survival than the standard Temperate and warmer zones.

Thank you guys!

I'll have to life with it then.

My first try was SO bad because I was sitting in a hole I made in a hill and I only had one small opening to be able to see when it gets morning and then I was attacked at night and could not fight back because I did not know where the enemy was.

It was like a 1x2 large hole in the hill and I did not even know if I Iooked up or down or whatever. No chance to kill anything if you don't see it.

On 5/24/2024 at 6:09 PM, ZanyScum said:

Thank you guys!

My first try was SO bad because I was sitting in a hole I made in a hill and I only had one small opening to be able to see when it gets morning and then I was attacked at night and could not fight back because I did not know where the enemy was.

It was like a 1x2 large hole in the hill and I did not even know if I Iooked up or down or whatever. No chance to kill anything if you don't see it.

Depending on your monitor, you can check its settings as well. I know some at least one player on my server was having trouble seeing at night even with a torch in hand, turned out there was a mode setting on his monitor which was darkening everything beyond the normal settings that needed changed, and that seemed to have done the trick for him.

On 5/24/2024 at 5:09 PM, ZanyScum said:

Thank you guys!

Oh, man, that brings back memories. Nightmares, almost. Scads of drifters. I knew for absolutely positive that they would figure out how to get through. I did have the sense to burrow in on a ledge 4 or 5 above the valley floor, though. 

• Like 1

I recall huddling in my packed dirt bungalow that first night wondering if they would be able to dig through the dirt, climb up the sides, bust down the gate I was using as a door.  All those thoughts having watched a few utoob videos on the game before purchasing it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Horsekoch said:

In 'clientsettings.json' you can decrease the darkness level.
Navigate to 'floatSettings' section, and change 'minbrightness'.
I set mine to 0.04 to simulate slight illumination from the moon.

Interesting. Does that also modify the minimum brightness level in caves?

On 6/22/2024 at 3:20 AM, StCatharines said:

Interesting. Does that also modify the minimum brightness level in caves?

I think so. I have not got to venture into the depths yet.
But one time I have cranked it up to 0.50 and everywhere was bright, either under the sky or inside my house.

BTW, moon should give some light. Even during new moon, star light allow to see something for accommodated eye, source:  myself, Gobi desert :)

Of course, closed spaces, like caves, should have no ambient light at all (except fluorescent species)

On 6/24/2024 at 5:01 AM, Wahazar said:

BTW, moon should give some light. Even during new moon, star light allow to see something for accommodated eye, source:  myself, Gobi desert :)

Of course, closed spaces, like caves, should have no ambient light at all (except fluorescent species)

having had to blindly dig up out of a cave system after all the torches got wet was a lesson that was learnt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.