Jump to content

First chicken coop built


RetroTekGuy

Recommended Posts

You really don't want to see my chicken coop. At least it has a slate roof, because I had too much slate sitting around, but other than that, it's just 2 concentric drystone fences (to keep bears at a distance), 6 nestboxes, and 4 troughs.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, Thorfinn said:

You really don't want to see my chicken coop. At least it has a slate roof, because I had too much slate sitting around, but other than that, it's just 2 concentric drystone fences (to keep bears at a distance), 6 nestboxes, and 4 troughs.

I mean...that's more coop than my chickens have 🤣 I suppose I should go build them a real home now...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RetroTekGuy said:

Did you chisel the Chick-fil-A logo?! haha looks awesome!

Maaaaaaaybe...now all I need is a way to make chicken sandwiches!

48 minutes ago, Grummsh said:

Haha yeah the logo is fancy :D

 

Thank you! I'll probably find something lighter-colored later to add to it so it stands out a little better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swear to you all, I do actually build beautiful structures in game! I just found myself in a rush on getting domestication up and running, you know how it can be sometimes. It's the critter trap/"barn/coop" version of a first night dirt house.

  • Like 1
  • Cookie time 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StCatharines said:

It's the critter trap/"barn/coop" version of a first night dirt house.

I'm definitely not laughing.

Before basket traps became a thing, I used "pit kiln" traps. Place a single block 2 higher than surrounding territory, dig a hole under it, (so there is only a 1-tile gap). For whatever reason all kinds of critters will jump in the 1x1x1 "pit" and not be able to get out. If you surround a trough by a bunch of "pit kiln" traps, you can get the whole herd.

  • Amazing! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

I'm definitely not laughing.

Before basket traps became a thing, I used "pit kiln" traps. Place a single block 2 higher than surrounding territory, dig a hole under it, (so there is only a 1-tile gap). For whatever reason all kinds of critters will jump in the 1x1x1 "pit" and not be able to get out. If you surround a trough by a bunch of "pit kiln" traps, you can get the whole herd.

Did you know that you can fire pit kilns with baby bunnies inside and they won't die? I'm guessing it's due to pit kilns only counting the top layer as the fiery part, so adults will clip through that layer and burn to death but the juveniles won't.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

Did you know that you can fire pit kilns with baby bunnies inside and they won't die? I'm guessing it's due to pit kilns only counting the top layer as the fiery part, so adults will clip through that layer and burn to death but the juveniles won't.

Reading that post was an emotional rollercoaster, as I've died more than once trying to rescue rabbits from dumb situations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StCatharines said:

Reading that post was an emotional rollercoaster, as I've died more than once trying to rescue rabbits from dumb situations.

I may need to amend my previous post, as I've just filled a pit kiln and ignited it with an adult rabbit inside. It's not dead(yet), and doesn't appear to be on fire, so perhaps I was wrong and the adults can survive it too, provided they were already in the pit kiln to begin with. 🤔

The only reason I figured it out in the first place is that I got tired of killing the rabbits that fell into the holes in order to use my pit kilns. The adults at least provide a bit of meat and sometimes hide, but the baby ones just burn a point of weapon durability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

I may need to amend my previous post, as I've just filled a pit kiln and ignited it with an adult rabbit inside. It's not dead(yet), and doesn't appear to be on fire, so perhaps I was wrong and the adults can survive it too, provided they were already in the pit kiln to begin with. 🤔

The only reason I figured it out in the first place is that I got tired of killing the rabbits that fell into the holes in order to use my pit kilns. The adults at least provide a bit of meat and sometimes hide, but the baby ones just burn a point of weapon durability.

And they also tip your alignment to the evil side, don't go around killing baby bunnies! 😛

I need to write a mod to just make them invincible, the same way I did for 7 Days to Die. I couldn't stand hearing the unfortunately realistic scream of a rabbit in pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StCatharines said:

And they also tip your alignment to the evil side, don't go around killing baby bunnies! 😛

Is it more evil to leave them trapped in a small hole for eternity, or to put them out of their misery ASAP? 🤔 As a side note though, it turns out the adult rabbits will also survive the pit kilns, provided they're buried underneath all the stuff before you light it. It doesn't make sense, of course, and it's more hassle, but it is kinda funny.

No need to hunt wabbits though with so many moose around!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

But moose are so friendly. Rabbits run away. Moose run over you. Kind of the way overly-friendly labs do to small children.

I am absolutely thrilled that moose in-game don't act like moose in real life. I am, rightfully and justifiably, more terrified of elk and moose around here than the bears around here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StCatharines said:

I am absolutely thrilled that moose in-game don't act like moose in real life. I am, rightfully and justifiably, more terrified of elk and moose around here than the bears around here.

They don't? I have a bunch that spawn in the area around my base(seriously, there's at least three different moose spawns near the front door alone!) and they always try to come stomp my face when they notice me nearby.

As for what they do in real life...I don't really know other than I've heard they will absolutely try to stomp you if they decide you need stomped. There aren't moose where I live and the only time I've actually seen a real live moose was on a trip to Yellowstone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.