Bears are no joke now, got greifed by one camping my front door.

Yes, they are lethal, but can be dealt with. On starting a game, switch to 3rd person camera and zoom all the way out, then switch the view back to what you want to play. Practice running with the camera following you. You need to get good at timing your jumps to ascend slopes and jump over small ponds and ravines. With that view, you can see not only where the brown bear is, and when you need to zig-zag, but also what kind of obstacles he has trouble navigating.

20 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

With that view, you can see not only where the brown bear is, and when you need to zig-zag, but also what kind of obstacles he has trouble navigating.

I think it's brown bears and polar bears that you can't outrun, if I'm not mistaken. Any of the other bears I think you can outrun, provided you aren't weighed down too much by armor, but it's still a bit difficult.

My general strategy is to try to spot the bear before it sees me, so that I can either avoid it or come up with a plan to deal with it. If one spots me I try to run and use the strategies that @Thorfinn pointed out to help get the bear off my tail(although if I have good armor I'm going to just fight the bear). If there's deep water nearby though, I'll try to lure the bear there as then it becomes rather easy to poke the bear to death with a spear. Currently, the player can swim faster than bears, and bears can't dive under the water to get you, so it's just a matter of staying just out of reach.

If you've got some spears and good aim, you might also try turning the bear into a pincushion(especially if you're playing a Hunter!) You can build a makeshift pillar to stand on(I think it needs to be at least 3 blocks tall, maybe 4) to stay out of reach, or if you're the more brazen type you can bring a shield and healing items for a backup should you take damage. Granted, the early tiers of armor/shields won't stop a bear, but it might just buy you enough time to finish it off in case you can't kill it at range.

There's also the Mortal Damage mod, if you're not opposed to modding your game: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/3846

Basically what it does is make the damage a bleedout rather than instant, giving you time to either finish off a nearly-dead enemy, get to a safer spot and heal, or at least get to a safer spot to die. The main drawback though is that healing will no longer be instant either, as healing items now just prevent a portion of bleedout damage, and some types of death will still be instant(such as pancaking on the ground).

• Like 1

Browns you can outrun, absolutely, so long as you are not weighted down by armor or try to run away in a straight line. Thus the bit about F5 and getting used to controlling your seraph from that POV. 

It's easier if you have rolling terrain or bushes, or better yet, a forest. It's all in figuring out how. I have very little experience with polars. It came as a surprise (though it should not have) that unlike the other bears, they outswim you in deep water. But they cannot out-dive you.

• Like 1

I've started building my base at least 4 blocks high and then I climb out in the morning to survey the area for bears. Especially my first shelter because they always like to find me after the first night and try to camp me in my packed dirt shack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second day, 4 beginner players, total chaos, there is only wooden frame of the house without wall  filling (dirt is ugly, don't put it here), somebody mounted ladder to the frame to make thatched roof, bravo one going dark, suddenly bear incoming! Abrupt chaos and panic, somebody is shouting "use ladder" (there was voice channel), we are climbing on the roof, bear is also climbing...

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 5:56 AM, Maelstrom said:

You forgot moose.  If the mauling by the bears, wolves, drifters don't get you then there's the Moose Stomp and a lightning strike for the piece de resistance.

The moose freak me out, man!
They always run right up to you and breathe really heavily, and most of the time they don't even attack, they just rush you for no reason.
-Then when they do decide to attack, it does a ton of damage. 😅

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2024 at 2:56 PM, Maelstrom said:

You forgot moose.  If the mauling by the bears, wolves, drifters don't get you then there's the Moose Stomp and a lightning strike for the piece de resistance.

I tend to get triple moose spawns near my base. It's great for keeping the protein bar filled...not so great when I don't have the means to deal with them efficiently. 🤣

I've yet to have issues with lightning though. However, I do tend to find a lot of fried chicken and fish after strong thunderstorms.

• Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.