Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Yesterday, on the 1st of June, Year 8* in game, I finally acquired the last Jonas part I required to finish building my first Terminus Teleporter!

Screenshot2026-09-30205353.png.8209310c00d55ce865e7dc25b74c1f7d.png

It was the 31st part I'd found. It dropped from a deepsplit shiver that I killed during a temporal storm.

The quest to build the terminus teleporter (TT) is finally over... but I am still waiting for a [Jonas sub-assembly (A difference gear assembly)] to drop for the first time. And I'll need a second [Jonas sub-assembly (A complex joint)] to make my first base return teleporter. Hopefully the wait won't be so long this time...

I had set out to complete the TT before starting my chapter 2 journey, so very excited to finally open the second chapter now that that goal has been achieved.

What's your experience of hunting for Jonas parts been like? I'm interested to hear! Are the people that love to fight in temporal storms flush with parts, or do you also have parts that just don't seem to drop?

* I played 5 years in 1.21, then made a new world with the same seed when 1.22 released, copied my base over, and kept going from there. So it's actually year 3, world 2, but year 8 of my overall journey. I only set out on my chapter 1 journey in year 4, as it took me until year 3 to find iron, and I'd not done much spelunking or fighting before that, so it took about 4 years to really begin my Jonas parts search.

Edited by DarkGold
  • Like 4
  • Mind=blown 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Ah, the elusive Terminus teleporter. I made full set of Jonas gear only once, and it took about 5 years to collect all necessary items in a world with Better Ruins boosted loots. I am not sure if I was looking for some of them particularly, as at that time, I had already full trunk of Jonas parts.

At least, the for story required Rickety Translocator is quite cheap about Jonas parts. I was able to build it quite easily afterward returning from Tobias all three times I played the second chapter. 

What I like that also the resonator is Jonas device in principle (athough Wiki does not list it 😁 ). But otherwise, I am not a big fan of them. The rift ward can be helpful. I run it in my base for a while, but I haven't seen much effect in already well lit late game area, and need for temporal gears as fuel was a bit discouraging (also for night vision mask). Maybe, if I had some solid resource of temporal gears, but I never went to serious drifter farming. 

Edited by Vratislav
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Vratislav said:

What I like that also the resonator is Jonas device in principle (athough Wiki does not list it 😁 ). But otherwise, I am not a big fan of them. The rift ward can be helpful. I run it in my base for a while, but I haven't seen much effect in already well lit late game area, and need for temporal gears as fuel was a bit discouraging (also for night vision mask).

I purchased my resonator from a trader long before I could make cupronickel, so I didn't use any parts to get that one. As I don't like to hang around in dark places, I'm not rushing to build the night vision mask (I might do it one day, but not on my to do list at the moment). The rift ward doesn't seem very useful, as my base is already well lit. I'd love to build some base return teleporters, but they've been terribly hard to get the parts for, and they only last 1 use, so my attitude towards them is "if it happens, it happens" at this point, but I'm not going out of my way to hunt for their parts, unlike the terminus teleporter, which I had been 1 part away from building for years and really wanted to get the final piece for.

Edited by DarkGold
Correcting typos
  • Like 2
Posted
25 minutes ago, DarkGold said:

I purchased my resonator from a trader long before I could make cupronickel, so I didn't use any parts to get that one. As I don't like to hang around in dark places, I'm not rushing to build the night vision mask (I might do it one day, but not on my to do list at the moment). The rift ward doesn't seem very useful, as my base is already well lit. I'd love to build some base return teleporters, but they've been terribly hard to get the parts for, and they only last 1 use, so my attitude towards them is "if it happens, it happens" at this point, but I'm not going out of my way to hunt for their parts, unlike the termius teleporter, which I had been 1 part away from building for years and really wanted to get the final piece for.

The rift ward is more than just "my base is already well lit". It actively stop rifts from spawning. Doesn't do much during a temporal storm though.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DarkGold said:

Yesterday, on the 1st of June, Year 8* in game, I finally acquired the last Jonas part I required to finish building my first Terminus Teleporter!

Screenshot2026-09-30205353.png.8209310c00d55ce865e7dc25b74c1f7d.png

It was the 31st part I'd found. It dropped from a deepsplit shiver that I killed during a temporal storm.

The quest to build the terminus teleporter (TT) is finally over... but I am still waiting for a [Jonas sub-assembly (A difference gear assembly)] to drop for the first time. And I'll need a second [Jonas sub-assembly (A complex joint)] to make my first base return teleporter. Hopefully the wait won't be so long this time...

I had set out to complete the TT before starting my chapter 2 journey, so very excited to finally open the second chapter now that that goal has been achieved.

What's your experience of hunting for Jonas parts been like? I'm interested to hear! Are the people that love to fight in temporal storms flush with parts, or do you also have parts that just don't seem to drop?

* I played 5 years in 1.21, then made a new world with the same seed when 1.22 released, copied my base over, and kept going from there. So it's actually year 3, world 2, but year 8 of my overall journey. I only set out on my chapter 1 journey in year 4, as it took me until year 3 to find iron, and I'd not done much spelunking or fighting before that, so it took about 4 years to really begin my Jonas parts search.

I LOVE THIS! 

I actually spend a lot of time on the mantle and LOVE hoarding Jonas parts. Storms are welcome too. (Temporal Gears are a side effect of the Jonas Assemblies too as grinding the shivers, drifters and bowtorn (yes I slay them all) provides all kinds of goodies.)

The terminus teleporter is a GAME changer. 

Do make yourself the Nightvision goggles too if you havent done so yet. Theyr'e another game changer IMO. ( I should add here that the Nightvision does negate the armor bonus of a helmet as you will not be wearing one.)

Edited by OBAMFSpike
  • Like 1
Posted
21 minutes ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

The rift ward is more than just "my base is already well lit". It actively stop rifts from spawning. Doesn't do much during a temporal storm though.

With my base being well lit, rifts are prevented from spawning by the light level, so I don't need a Jonas device to stop them spawning there. It would be useful if I wanted to do something outside my base, but usually I just pick calm temporal weather in that case, or I'm underground, and I need to put lights everywhere to stop things spawning without rifts anyway, so I just don't see much use for them? I know some mods make them more useful (they effect temporal stability), but I'm playing vanilla, so by default I just don't have much of a use case for them. I wish they worked on temporal storms!

Posted
10 minutes ago, OBAMFSpike said:

Do make yourself the Nightvision goggles too if you havent done so yet. Theyr'e another game changer IMO.

I guess they'd be really helpful down on the mantle! What do you get up to down there?

Posted
6 minutes ago, DarkGold said:

I guess they'd be really helpful down on the mantle! What do you get up to down there?

I am a resource hoarder. I hunt and hunt and hunt for anything and everything! Plust some of the ruins down low have translocators and thats another thing that I hoard is the locators. They are a powerful asset in this game and I cannot comprehend the people that do not like their use. Vast networks of travel can be set up with these locators. And used in tandem with other assets in the game really opens up a method of travel that covers long distances in record time. 

I usually build my bases on cavern system as I mine all ore as whole blocks and bring it back to my base and squirrel it away in the caverns. The most valuable ores go closer to the mantle and ill develop the system into a dungeon of sorts including a nightmare room to holdover in storms (I set my spawn in the room and slay nightmares and stilts and bells and whatever may come my way and this is a large part of gathering gears, temp gears, flax fiber and Jonas parts.)

This game is a load of fun. They've done a marvelous job with it. 

Lately, ive been watching some fellas on the ol YouTube and theyre using the Interesting Geology and Mining mod and im uber intrigued. It adds a boat load of work to mining like irl. 

To add to the gravity of my hoarding situation I even collect the bone arrows (which you bet your butt I whomped the chp 2 boss with free of charge) and the hardwood crates will hold almost 1600 of em so theres no reason to not collect everything I say. =D 

I love this game. 

  • Like 2
Posted
17 minutes ago, DarkGold said:

With my base being well lit, rifts are prevented from spawning by the light level, so I don't need a Jonas device to stop them spawning there. It would be useful if I wanted to do something outside my base, but usually I just pick calm temporal weather in that case, or I'm underground, and I need to put lights everywhere to stop things spawning without rifts anyway, so I just don't see much use for them? I know some mods make them more useful (they effect temporal stability), but I'm playing vanilla, so by default I just don't have much of a use case for them. I wish they worked on temporal storms!

I use the Riftwards in the struggle spots. The game seems to favor some locations for the rifts and this is precisely where I place them. I think it's kind of cool how they track how many rifts they block. Im of the opinion that when you have the implements we've been speaking of that temporal gears will be a byproduct of the activities you partake in. 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DarkGold said:

What's your experience of hunting for Jonas parts been like? I'm interested to hear! Are the people that love to fight in temporal storms flush with parts, or do you also have parts that just don't seem to drop?

It's generally both, in my experience. I've typically acquired several many parts by the late game, both from storm loot and ruins loot. However, the part type can be very hit-or-miss. The flux gap connector tends to be the most difficult to acquire, while also being one of the more useful since it's used for both the teleporter and the rift wards. You also need them for the BRTs, so...yeah.

I don't think Jonas parts should be craftable, necessarily, but I do wish you could barter with a dear old friend and exchange parts you don't need for parts that you do. Well, that, and just having more Jonas tech to mess around with in general.

34 minutes ago, OBAMFSpike said:

Do make yourself the Nightvision goggles too if you havent done so yet. Theyr'e another game changer IMO. ( I should add here that the Nightvision does negate the armor bonus of a helmet as you will not be wearing one.)

I second this, though I do think the nightvision mask should have some bit of armor to it. Because I mean, it's still made from metal, and getting smacked in the head by the nasties in the deep can easily be a death sentence. It doesn't need to be super armor or anything, just enough to allow the player to wear it in the places it's most useful, without as much risk of near-instant death.

Edited by LadyWYT
Verb tense
  • Like 3
  • Cookie time 1
Posted
9 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

getting smacked in the head by the nasties in the deep can easily be a death sentence.

Especially since the game DOES support locational damage, however I think it's more likely that you'll get hit in the body or legs.

Posted
5 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

I don't think Jonas parts should be craftable, necessarily, but I do wish you could barter with a dear old friend and exchange parts you don't need for parts that you do. Well, that, and just having more Jonas tech to mess around with in general.

I second this, though I do think the nightvision mask should have some bit of armor to it. Because I mean, it's still made from metal, and getting smacked in the head by the nasties in the deep can easily be a death sentence. It doesn't need to be super armor or anything, just enough to allow the player to wear it in the places it's most useful, without as much risk of near-instant death.

Ive not used many sets of nightvision but the few I have used involved an eye piece like those of the binocular which blocks light from polluting what you're seeing. 

I think it would be super awesome if the old man in the cave could help out with things like making the nightvision goggles compatible with say the steel plate helmet. Id imagine it was quite enough a struggle creating the goggles to begin with but a seraph can dream. 

  • Like 1
Posted
5 minutes ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

Especially since the game DOES support locational damage, however I think it's more likely that you'll get hit in the body or legs.

I wish I wasnt a bullseye for the critical head hits but it would seem I manage to take many of them. 

And still it hasn't knocked a lick of sense into me. 

  • Haha 1
Posted
8 hours ago, DarkGold said:

Are the people that love to fight in temporal storms flush with parts [...] ?

Storms only drop at most ~0.4 parts per person per storm if you're lucky, so you'd need a huge amount of time to accumulate any meaningful quantity of them. If you need to get a lot of Jonas parts, fighting near the mantle is the preferred option.

 

8 hours ago, DarkGold said:

[...] do you also have parts that just don't seem to drop?

Given that all thirteen parts are obtained almost entirely randomly, it would seem much more difficult to find people who got exactly what they needed right away.

 

1 hour ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

The rift ward is more than just "my base is already well lit". It actively stop rifts from spawning.

The rift ward does nothing that light sources don't, and still requires upkeep and has a small chance to fail, which means that you still need light sources in case the rift ward fails. Its only benefit is very high range, but I personally don't believe that saves it from being virtually useless.

 

7 minutes ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

Especially since the game DOES support locational damage, however I think it's more likely that you'll get hit in the body or legs.

It's purely chance-based - 20% head, 50% torso, 30% legs.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MKMoose said:

fighting near the mantle is the preferred option

Ahhh, a nugget of wisdom I will store away. I generally avoid the deep dark underground, because I am a coward, but I know there would be clever ways to use this information to seek Jonas parts in the future.

9 minutes ago, MKMoose said:

Given that all thirteen parts are obtained almost entirely randomly, it would seem much more difficult to find people who got exactly what they needed right away.

You say "almost entirely randomly"... is there anything that modifies the randomness that you are aware of? If they all dropped evenly randomly, I would have hoped to get 1 of each part by now (31 drops is more than 2x 13, the odds are good that most drops would have happened by now), so I was wondering if some parts do show up more often, or if I have just been unlucky to not hit a 1/13 chance in 31 chances yet.

Edited by DarkGold
Correcting typos
Posted
2 minutes ago, DarkGold said:

You say "almost entirely randomly"... is there anything that modifies the randomness that you are aware of? If they all dropped evenly randomly, I would have hoped to get 1 of each part by now (31 drops is more than 2x 13, the odds are good that most drops would have happened by now), so I was wondering if some parts to show up more often, or if I have just been unlucky to not hit a 1/13 chance in 31 chances yet.

If I recall correctly, you can get the eccentric gearbox from the refinery fairly often. There may be one or two more places where you can get a specific part, though I wasn't able to confirm.

Some places in structures will have only Jonas parts, and some will have only Jonas sub-assemblies - but this seems mostly negligible in practice. Maybe the Jonas parts could be slightly more common, but I'm honestly not even sure if it's make any practically meaningful difference.

Otherwise, it is entirely random, be it from locust nests, highest-tier monsters, bells, ruins, story structures or whatnot.

 

43 minutes ago, DarkGold said:

I was wondering if some parts to show up more often, or if I have just been unlucky to not hit a 1/13 chance in 31 chances yet.

To never hit 1/13 odds in 31 attempts is an 8% chance. Not a high chance, but it's more likely than breaking a tool on the first quenching.

Frankly, uncontrolled randomness is one of my biggest gripes with VS. It could be really cool if different Jonas parts required finding some rare materials, looting a specific ruin in short story quest, killing a unique mini-boss during a temporal storm - but no, it's just random. And sure, the current implementation is easy and efficient, but it doesn't strike me as something that speaks to the game's quality or the developers' vision.

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MKMoose said:

The rift ward does nothing that light sources don't, and still requires upkeep and has a small chance to fail, which means that you still need light sources in case the rift ward fails. Its only benefit is very high range,

The rift ward range is 50 blocks radius cylinder, if I remember well. It may depend on everyone's base development, but as the rift ward is pretty late game device, the most of the area would be already thoroughly lit when the rift ward becomes available. At least this was my experience, when I built it once. 

Still, I can imagine practical usage, first, if we do NOT want to have the base fully lit for sake of realism (like not to have lit fields around the base), second for construction site in new location, maybe as a safe area in multiplayer servers, or so. So I do not consider the rift ward entirely useless.

Also, 50 blocks radius may be bigger to take the advantage. Sometimes, even 25-30 blocks radius may be enough, sometimes 50 blocks is not enough. Maybe, we could have "small" and "large" modifications of the same device? Or to add a possibility to set up effective range between e.g. 15  and 100 blocks, and make temporal wheel consumption dependent on protected area. This would also allow to run the rift ward in "standby" mode with minimum range and consumption, and bump it up, e.g. when player wants to do extensive works outdoors.

Edited by Vratislav
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, Vratislav said:

The rift ward range is 50 blocks radius cylinder, if I remember well. It may depend on everyone's base development, but as the rift ward is pretty late game device, the most of the area would be already thoroughly lit when the rift ward becomes available. At least this was my experience, when I built it once. 

Note that blocking rifts, disabling rifts and blocking monster spawns are not quite the same effects.

  • A small lantern can block monster spawns in a 10-block taxicab range as well as block rifts in a 15-block taxicab range. Do keep in mind as well that rifts are only relevant on the surface, so underground monster spawns can only be prevented by directly blocking monster spawns.
  • A rift ward disables rifts in a 50-block euclidean horizontal range (disabling a rift makes the game still consider it as if it were active for the purposes of the maximum allowed quantity of rifts, so the effect is better than just blocking), but doesn't prevent enemies from spawning within a 20-block euclidean range of rifts.
  • The rift ward also has a 2.5% failure chance (so a light source is always desirable in case the rift ward fails) and an upkeep cost of one temporal gear every 21 days.

 

1 hour ago, Vratislav said:

Still, I can imagine practical usage, first, if we do NOT want to have the base fully lit for sake of realism (like not to have lit fields around the base), second for construction site in new location, maybe as a safe area in multiplayer servers, or so. So I do not consider the rift ward entirely useless.

The rift ward is not completely useless, but it has no unique purpose as well as an additional flaw and runtime cost to contend with.

In most cases where you are using the rift ward, you'll still want to use light sources to help with the 2.5% failure chance, or just for lighting - while exceptions are not impossible, I find that it is very rare at the stage in the game where rift wards become available that a player doesn't have or doesn't want to use at least a few lanterns. And the funny thing is that using light actually nullifies the extra advantage of rift wards related to them disabling rather than blocking rifts, so placing a rift ward in an already well-lit area has no effect.

 

1 hour ago, Vratislav said:

Also, 50 blocks radius may be bigger to take the advantage. Sometimes, even 25-30 blocks radius may be enough, sometimes 50 blocks is not enough. Maybe, we could have "small" and "large" modifications of the same device? Or to add a possibility to set up effective range between e.g. 15  and 100 blocks, and make temporal wheel consumption dependent on protected area. This would also allow to run the rift ward in "standby" mode with minimum range and consumption, and bump it up, e.g. when player wants to do extensive works outdoors.

This is a fine suggestion - would certainly make the rift ward more flexible. I would also consider limiting the rift ward's uptime with the number of blocked rifts and not with time, as that would introduce a more direct relationship between cost and benefit.

But that said, I personally think that the rift ward will never be an actually good feature unless it's given a unique purpose that is not fulfilled by light sources, at least as long as light sources last indefinitely which probably isn't changing anytime soon. The two most common suggestions for this are (1) blocking spawns in a small radius even during temporal storms and (2) increasing temporal stability in an area - both are essentially trivial to implement, and there are at least a couple mods which make some similar tweaks already.

Edited by MKMoose
  • Like 3
Posted
27 minutes ago, MKMoose said:

limiting the rift ward's uptime with the number of blocked rifts and not with time, as that would introduce a more direct relationship between cost and benefit

Yes. If we would know that 1 temporal gear may prevent creating e.g. 10 or 20 rifts, it would make its cost-benefit consideration much easier.

Posted
On 10/2/2026 at 4:37 AM, MKMoose said:

There may be one or two more places where you can get a specific part, though I wasn't able to confirm.

In one of the small Blackguard barracks underground ruins, there's Blackguard shoes, a jug, metal scrap and a parallel transfer vessel underneath one of the beds 100% of the time.
In my experience this also makes the parallel transfer vessel the most common Jonas part, since it's a guarantee if you find that ruin.

For anyone out there hunting Jonas parts, I also recommend poking around in the structures surrounding a certain chapter 2 location (not spoiling anything, but if you've been there I'm sure you know which one I'm likely referring to). The larger structures especially have the chance for quite a few Jonas parts in their loot pools.

  • Like 4
Posted

That final part I had yet to find dropped from another deepsplit shiver I encountered in a story location today. Now I've found one of each part. So not too long after my 31st part. Maybe the 33rd or so. It'll take me a while to get back to base and check how many were in the chest.

  • Cookie time 1
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.