Can animals starve?

TorandoChaser

Hello, noob here.

I know that you have to feed animals in order for them to breed, but do I have to keep feeding them to keep them from starving or some such? I assume I don't, since exploration for further than a day's away from base would be impossible if animals had to be fed every day, but I'm running low on grains for my chickens and it's winter now...

Extra side question: do pregnant animals need to be continually fed in order for their pregnancy to progress, or is it going to take the same amount of time no matter if they have no food since becoming saturated enough to breed or not?

Hi! :)

Nope and nope. ;) Not sure if there are plans to change that, though.

It's almost March in one of my worlds and I haven't fed my chickens for a couple months and even the pigs just get fed if I want more of them. And they don't need more food once the females are pregnant.

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:39 AM, Jesse Caron said:

It would be good if there were a differentiation in the code to detect captured animals, so that they could be assigned a hunger mechanic, since they can't forage/hunt due to captivity. Not sure if it's possible, though.

That depends heavily on the enclosure you use and therefore it would need more than only detection of captured animals but for example on block types around them too (maybe you just keep them in a 100x100 lit and fenced in grassy area). It would bloat up the issue massively and discourage going on exploration even only for a few days as you'd have to keep the animals fed (and therefore you'd end up with either exploration or animal husbandry). Tending to animals is time consuming af irl, as long as it's not the main focus of a game you wouldn't want to introduce an overly tedious mechanic as a dev, but at what point a mechanic becomes overly tedious is a difficult question for itself.

Edited by Hal13

Granted, I'm spitballing, but a trough with a hopper - for continuous dispensing of feed, comes to mind. I know 2% of what it takes to mods, not to mention program, so it may be a pipe dream. I see where you're coming from though, vz. being on a leash to animal husbandry.

• 1 month later...

Animals despawn if they are without sunlight for some time.

It's enough for sunlight to come in from the side, so there is no problem with for example putting a roof over your pen so that it doesn't fill with snow.

But when they are in caves, they may move too far away from any source of sunlight, and in that case, they will despawn.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.