Charcoal pits

City Builder

21 hours ago, City Builder said:

I thought I'd read that charcoal pits can be up to 11x11.

This common advice is overly simplistic.  The requirement is that all the piles to be charcoal-ified must be touching each other, and they must be within 5 blocks of the firepit used to ignite the pile.  This is how 11x11x11 is arrived at.  It's not actually the overall dimensions that matter, but the distance from the firepit used to ignite the pile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, redram said:

This common advice is overly simplistic.  The requirement is that all the piles to be charcoal-ified must be touching each other, and they must be within 5 blocks of the firepit used to ignite the pile.  This is how 11x11x11 is arrived at.  It's not actually the overall dimensions that matter, but the distance from the firepit used to ignite the pile.

I know this is on the wiki, but isnt 5 blocks from the firepit, in all directions, 11x11x5? Assuming the fire pit is always above the center of the top-most layer

20 hours ago, Scott Kimberly said:

I know this is on the wiki, but isnt 5 blocks from the firepit, in all directions, 11x11x5? Assuming the fire pit is always above the center of the top-most layer

5 block above and below.  All directions = 11x11x11.  The vertical part is the tricky part, being able to have a pit, light it, get out and plug all the holes in time.  It's indeed much easier to do 11x11x5.

• 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.