"Dual core" windmill setup

Digitalr

Can anyone help me?

Is this two setups have ~equivalent power output for helvehammers:

a) Two windmill rotors, connected directly to one big gear, and helvehammer one-side connected to this mechanism;

or

b) Two windmill rotors, connected  to different sides of helvehammer.

(Yes, i remember about power loss on each axle/gear, but\ in both setups, it is not so significant compared to main power source).

The hammer will jam up if attached to 2 windmills like that, I think the forces are cancelling eachother. When I tested using the big gear to combine multiple rotors they didnt cancel but they did seize up regularly and were slower on average than a single rotary. The only way is to build taller and limit the amount of axles.

• 3 months later...

it's possible to attach even 4 windmills to the same large gear and more or less make a tower of windmills, but at some point the additional windmills don't really add anything to the system anymore, i'd recommend to not use more than 4 maxed out windmills (20 sails) on the same machine, maybe 8 if you want to go big with several helvehammers on the same anvil. If one jams up the contraption break an axle and add it again.

I have successfully combined the power of 6 max size windmills into one power line without any hiccups. I ran 3 windmills into 1 large gear to the "east" and 3 into one to the "west", the open sides of the two gears have axles attached as outputs into a third large gear in the middle. A fourth large gear is attached to the bottom of the middle gear. All my outputs to run machines are attached to the bottom center gear to prevent the windmills from locking up (why this is needed I don't know but, that's the way it works). If I wanted to I could expand the setup even further but right now I can run a triple helve hammer setup on one anvil, a triple pulverizer setup, and a quern at the same time with minimal speed loss as long as I have a light breeze (.2 windspeed if you use vshud or 20% if you look directly at the rotor). This setup also produces metal plates in about 20-30 seconds each.

I believe I could possibly expand to a total of 20 windmills but in answer to the original question yes you can combine the power of multiple windmills BUT anything you power has to come off a second large gear attached to either the top or bottom of the gear the windmills are attached. When I have a chance I'll go into my creative world and take pictures so that it's easier to see how I set things up without the clutter of the build I put the whole thing into.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 9:25 PM, Papa Cheese said:

I have successfully combined the power of 6 max size windmills into one power line without any hiccups. I ran 3 windmills into 1 large gear to the "east" and 3 into one to the "west", the open sides of the two gears have axles attached as outputs into a third large gear in the middle. A fourth large gear is attached to the bottom of the middle gear. All my outputs to run machines are attached to the bottom center gear to prevent the windmills from locking up (why this is needed I don't know but, that's the way it works). If I wanted to I could expand the setup even further but right now I can run a triple helve hammer setup on one anvil, a triple pulverizer setup, and a quern at the same time with minimal speed loss as long as I have a light breeze (.2 windspeed if you use vshud or 20% if you look directly at the rotor). This setup also produces metal plates in about 20-30 seconds each.

Could we see some photos of your setup?  I'm trying to get a better grasp on windmill gearing, but I don't feel like there are a lot of resources out there. :(

Ok, here goes..... basics of windmill setup step 1: assure proper clearance. This trips ALOT of people up, there are 5 sets of sails in groups of 4 that can be added to a rotor to get to max size sails. That means 5 blocks of clearance right? Wrong! The sails while spinning will actually clip into the sixth block out and if that's a solid block you get broken sails (all of them, not just the end pieces) that will despawn while you're blissfully thinking everything is fine. Make sure you have 6 blocks of clearance in all directions from the rotor.

Edited by Papa Cheese
Limited upload for pics
  • Cookie time 1

Step 2: Basic setup options. There are two options for setting up an automatable tool at first: 1) Direct connection and 2) Indirect connection via large gears. Option 1 only allows one machine to be run off of a windmill at any given time while option 2 allows you to run more than one machine off of a windmill and with transmissions you can turn on and off the machine you want to run at that time. Option two Is best because it allows for more windmills to be added as you build up the materials needed. Speaking of building up, below is a picture of six windmills running one large gear like I use on my server. the blue blocks show the input lines and the red are the output lines. Ok, having some issues with adding a picture right now so I'll try again later.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.