Hello this mod greatly expands upon the current animal husbandry system and attempts to make it more realistic and fun. Features include:

Livestock Hunger System

Spoiler

All livestock animals have a revamped hunger system that ties into almost everything about them. All animals now have saturation like the player and lose one saturation every 24 hours. Although animals do not die from a lack of saturation, it is still important as it is tied to many different things. In order to accommodate the changes livestock AI will prioritize eating food and will eat multiple portions at a time unlike in the vanilla game. Also, AI can path to troughs much better. Likewise, animals can be fed by dropped food items and are attracted to them allowing for early game animal husbandry. They will also follow the player if they are holding food they like.

Baby animals must reach full saturation after they have made it past their needed grow time, in order to mature into adults

malnourished-min.jpg.5cf29e537ee74507a434309d5ce726c9.jpg

Males and females must be at least half-saturation in order to mate. Males lose one saturation upon mating, while females experience an increased hunger rate for the duration of their pregnancy.

mate-min.jpg.6630e0d2f4bcc79b397c303213b1ea7e.jpg

If a pregnant female's health or saturation goes to 25% or more below their max they will experience a miscarriage and lose the baby. Players get a warning of this at 30% health or saturation.

miscarriage.thumb.jpg.4547bf2959f4cfd7c9b7c16b330a1721.jpg

Every time an animal loses saturation they produce poop. Babies only produce the smallest amount of poop for their kind, males the largest amount, and females will produce either amount randomly. Poop can be used as a fertilizer for crops.

Animal Specifics:

Hare

Spoiler

hares-min.thumb.png.cb11e3f1a5d6e6f3d1f21f0aa3c863dc.png

The new livestock addition of the mod, rabbits can be seen as a highly efficient protein source and a source of small hides due to their fast reproduction, growth, and small diet, but they are highly competitive and vulnerable to predators.

Maximum saturation = 8
  Item Food = All vegetables, as well as hay(dry grass).
  Block food = All crops planted on farmland
  Trough feed = Dry grass in small trough
  Poop amount = Small

Gestation time(in game days) = 5
  Pregnancy Recovery Time(in game days) = 1-3
  Litter size = 6-12
  Baby to Adult Time(in game days) = 7

Additional notes = Males are extremely competitive and will attack other males and babies for 1 damage. Despite their small size they need a relatively big pen.

Chicken

Spoiler

chickens-min.thumb.png.2de304b429fcae203c59192988aea544.png

Chickens will provide a daily supply of eggs, given they have enough room and food for them. They have the smallest and most expensive diet though.

Maximum saturation = 12
  Item Food = All grains.
  Block food = All grain crops planted on farmland
  Trough feed = All grain in small trough
  Poop amount = Small

Litter size = 1-2
  Baby to Adult Time(in game days) = 12

Additional notes = Hens will attempt to lay eggs in nearby hen boxes and need to be at least 75% saturation to lay eggs. They lay one every 24 to 36 hours

henbox-min.jpg.a6ae8297fd6f99c6a5663c3b6b83aa91.jpg

Pig

Spoiler

pig-min.thumb.png.7c655a42126af63801ace478a0df6fe2.png

These beasts have the largest litter size and diet of all the animals, being able to eat literal rot. Though they have to eat a lot more, and are a risk to bushes and beehives.

Maximum saturation = 20
  Item Food = All grains, all vegetables, all meat, all dairy, all fruit as well as dry grass, raw meats, and rot.
  Block food = All crops planted on farmland, ripe bushes, beehives
  Trough feed = All grain, dry grass, and rot in large trough
  Poop amount = Small to medium

Litter size = 7-14
  Baby to Adult Time(in game days) = 7

Sheep

Spoiler

milk-min.thumb.jpg.e5660a65ac07ab52ca0a9ea7d6bfecef.jpg

These creatures are currently the only source of dairy in the game and produce the largest amount of poop. Though there diet is somewhat picky and they have the slowest reproduction of all the animals

Maximum saturation = 16
  Item Food = All grains, as well as dry grass.
  Block food = All grain crops planted on farmland
  Trough feed = All grain and dry grass in large trough
  Poop amount = Medium to Large

Gestation time(in game days) = 20
  Pregnancy Recovery Time(in game days) = 14-21
  Litter size = 1
  Baby to Adult Time(in game days) = 16

Additional notes = Do not continue hold right click after a failed milking attempt. This could lead to a loss of milk due to a bug. Also ewes need to be at 75% saturation to produce milk

Food Troughs, Compost Bins & other Changes/Additions

Spoiler

Troughs have been revamped in order to meet the new food needs of the animal. It now takes 1 item to make one portion in either trough. The large trough capacity has been increased to 64 and the small to 32. Rot can be placed in large troughs for pigs, and dry grass in small troughs for hares.

smalltrough-min.jpg.770a68891e71ab90cf7fc01aeb9cbf49.jpg

largetrough-min.thumb.jpg.62e62836578744c457e7431a469d79d2.jpg

Compost bins are added for getting rid of unwanted food to give to pigs. It has four slots and most things will rot in less than 24 hours inside of it. The amount of rot gained from food items like grain, fruit, and vegetables has been increased.

compostbinrecipe-min.jpg.34e2b5134b7e6ab01f2fc53cf85e31dd.jpg

Rice, rye, and spelt now drop dry grass on harvest.

Animal handling gloves can be crafted from 4 leather and 2 twine and can be used to carry small animals.

Note: There is an in-game Farmer's Guide with the rest of the guides

Note: The hitboxes of the troughs were removed in order to allow better pathfinding.

Note: While animals can eat dropped items, they cannot do so if they are unloaded, say if you were to go far far away. Troughs will automatically feed them while unloaded so they are a definite upgrade to have.

Update notes

Spoiler

Version 0.98.6

• Added PathRange and PathItemRange to config. May need to delete config so it can regenerate
  • Remove berry bushes and honey from pig diet

Version 0.98.5

• Added German translation thanks to @Kiava for translating!

Version 0.98.4

• Food targets an animal cannot make a direct line of sight to will now go to the failure list and the entity will not attempt it again for 5 minutes
  • Animals will eat in large heaps from troughs to improve performance
  • Increased poop compost recipe from 4 to 1 to 64 to 1

Version 0.98.3

• Added FarmerConfig in VintageStoryData/ModConfig. Load the mod up once and it will generate
  • Added RestrictPathfinding field. Enable it so animals will not path for blocks through walls.

Version 0.98.2

• Made the animal gloves a little less glitchy

Version 0.98.1

• Fixed food seeking failure system
  • Animals will wait five minutes before trying to go to a food block they do not have a direct line of travel to and 1 minute for items

Version 0.98

• Large and medium poop now drop 3 and 2 small poop for better storage.
  • Poop can now be used to make compost in a barrel in a 4:1 ratio for 5 days
  • "nopoop" in poop attributes. Set to true to disable animal poop
  • Baby rabbits will now flee from male rabbits regardless if they attack or not
  • CompatibilityLib must be installed in order to use this mod with Capture Animals mod.

Version 0.97.2

• Addressed compatibility issue with capture animals
  • Added tip about gloves in guide

Version 0.9.6

• Added new mechanic where animals will follow you if you have food in your hands. Does not pacify animals though!
  • Added new animal handling gloves. Visually very weird, but they are functionally sound and can be used to transport small animals.

Version 0.9.5

• Fixed bug that caused multiple animals to get saturation from one item
  • Animals will attempt to eat till they are mostly full from a trough when unloaded for a long period of time
  • Added new "digestion" entity stat that determines how much saturation an animal or player gets from food
  • Narrowed down patches for better mod compatibility

Version 0.9.4

• Made compost bin spoil meats and fruits 20 times faster

Version 0.9.3

• Fixed a bug causing animals to lose all saturation when being reloaded from the disk

Version 0.9.2

• Added Russian translation thanks to ZigtheHedge
  • Fixed male hare making rooster sound when attacking

Version 0.9.1

• Made text translatable.
  • Added a tip for dealing with hares in farmers guide

Please let me know of any bugs, and feel free to leave any suggestions or feedbacks. Happy farming! 🧑‍🌾👩‍🌾

farmlife_v0.98.6.zip

Compatibility:

Download the CompatibilityLib in order to use this mod with Capture Animals mod.

Edited by jakecool19
v0.98.6
  • Like 6
  • Cookie time 2
  • Amazing! 1
  • Mind=blown 1

Now this seems like an excellent mod, unfortunately my current playthrough couldn't accommodate the change. I'd have mass die offs of chickens, pigs and sheep if I tried it. On the other hand the composting bin seems very useful as it sits both to quickly deal with large amounts of slowly spoiling crops (I vastly over prepped for my first winter and there's no way I can get through all the onions and stuff that are slowly going bad; not with the stuff in the jars that's slowly going bad as well).

Any chance you'd be willing to give us a second download for the composting bin by itself?

5 hours ago, ZigTheHedge said:

Awesome work, man!

One request though. Please make everything you have in mod translatable. Now some texts seems to be hardcoded (Like text in tooltips ("Saturation: 10/10", "A risk of Miscarriage" etc).

Just released a patch to fix that, thanks for pointing it out.

4 hours ago, Godogma said:

Now this seems like an excellent mod, unfortunately my current playthrough couldn't accommodate the change. I'd have mass die offs of chickens, pigs and sheep if I tried it. On the other hand the composting bin seems very useful as it sits both to quickly deal with large amounts of slowly spoiling crops (I vastly over prepped for my first winter and there's no way I can get through all the onions and stuff that are slowly going bad; not with the stuff in the jars that's slowly going bad as well).

Any chance you'd be willing to give us a second download for the composting bin by itself?

Here you go. Just do not use them together or otherwise it will probably crash.

farmlife(CompostBinOnly).zip

• Like 1

Thanks :) Now I'll be able to quickly deal with that issue and clear up a LOT of storage.

EDIT - Unfortunately after putting the file in the mods folder it doesn't show up to be enabled in the game mods list and I don't see the recipe in the handbook crafting menu nor is it showing in creative mode?

Edited by Godogma
1 hour ago, Godogma said:

Thanks :) Now I'll be able to quickly deal with that issue and clear up a LOT of storage.

EDIT - Unfortunately after putting the file in the mods folder it doesn't show up to be enabled in the game mods list and I don't see the recipe in the handbook crafting menu nor is it showing in creative mode?

My bad I zipped it wrong. Here this one should work

Compostbinonly.zip

• Like 1
1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

Something is going wrong. On our multiplayer server we feed our animals, but for whatever reason they're ALL back to 0 sat within a few minutes. This makes the mod basically unplayable, can you fix it?

Is it all animals or just a certain kind? Also do you have any other mods that change animal behaviors? Do the animals complain of not being fed? (Babies malnourished/females too hungry to mate?) Do they poop? Also kind of a silly question to ask, what is the game time speed set to on the server?

Edited by jakecool19

I'm not the server owner so I can't tell you the last one, but I think it's default. I don't think we have any animal changing mods besides this one. Here's the modlist

Spoiler

MODLIST
BerryBread		1.1
BetterDrifters(Loot)	1.0
BetterStairs 		1.0.2
BushmeatMeals	 	1.0.6
CarryCapacity 		0.5.2
CavePaintings 		1.2.-B
ClothesCrafting		v1
CompatibilityLib 	1.1.0
ExtraChests		1.3.0
FancyDoors		1.0-B
FancyTools 		0.3
FarmLife		0.9.2
FixRoads 		1.2.0
GrassStuff		1.1
GraveMod 		2.2.1
Instruments		1.0.14
LazyTweaks 		3.1.0
MedievalExpansion 	3.2.2
MetalRecovery 		0.1.4RC
MeteoricExpansion 	1.0.3
MoreClasses 		1.0
MoreRecipes 		1.4.3
MoreRoads 		1.3.1
MoreVariants 		1.3.1
Necessaries 		0.7.8-B
OreCrystals 		1.2.1
PrimitiveSurvival 	2.4.0
Reed Walls		1.0
RopeBridges 		1.0.5
StepUp			1.2.0
Superfuel		1.0
TemporalTinkerer 	2.2.2
TrailFood 		1.0.1
Vinegar 		1.2
WeaponPack 		1.0.4
WorkbenchExpansion 	1.2.4
Xlib			0.4.2
XmasTime 		0.2-B
Xskills			0.4.2

Yes, females were too hungry to mate and were at risk of miscarrying. I didn't check to see if it's happening to rabbits and chickens, but it's happening to sheep and pigs.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

I'm not the server owner so I can't tell you the last one, but I think it's default. I don't think we have any animal changing mods besides this one. Here's the modlist

Reveal hidden contents

MODLIST
BerryBread		1.1
BetterDrifters(Loot)	1.0
BetterStairs 		1.0.2
BushmeatMeals	 	1.0.6
CarryCapacity 		0.5.2
CavePaintings 		1.2.-B
ClothesCrafting		v1
CompatibilityLib 	1.1.0
ExtraChests		1.3.0
FancyDoors		1.0-B
FancyTools 		0.3
FarmLife		0.9.2
FixRoads 		1.2.0
GrassStuff		1.1
GraveMod 		2.2.1
Instruments		1.0.14
LazyTweaks 		3.1.0
MedievalExpansion 	3.2.2
MetalRecovery 		0.1.4RC
MeteoricExpansion 	1.0.3
MoreClasses 		1.0
MoreRecipes 		1.4.3
MoreRoads 		1.3.1
MoreVariants 		1.3.1
Necessaries 		0.7.8-B
OreCrystals 		1.2.1
PrimitiveSurvival 	2.4.0
Reed Walls		1.0
RopeBridges 		1.0.5
StepUp			1.2.0
Superfuel		1.0
TemporalTinkerer 	2.2.2
TrailFood 		1.0.1
Vinegar 		1.2
WeaponPack 		1.0.4
WorkbenchExpansion 	1.2.4
Xlib			0.4.2
XmasTime 		0.2-B
Xskills			0.4.2

Yes, females were too hungry to mate and were at risk of miscarrying. I didn't check to see if it's happening to rabbits and chickens, but it's happening to sheep and pigs.

Thank you so much for bringing this serious bug to my attention! I will release a patch for it in a few minutes.

EDIT: 0.9.3 has been released!

Edited by jakecool19

This is the log from a crash while starting up a new single player world.

Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)2020-12-30 8:29:40 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Farmlife.EntityBehaviorConsume.get_timer()
   at Farmlife.EntityBehaviorConsume.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, JsonObject attributes)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.EntitySidedProperties.loadBehaviors(Entity entity, EntityProperties properties, IWorldAccessor world)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.EntityProperties.Initialize(Entity entity, ICoreAPI api)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.Entity.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, ICoreAPI api, Int64 InChunkIndex3d)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.EntityAgent.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, ICoreAPI api, Int64 InChunkIndex3d)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.LoadEntity(Entity entity, Int64 fromChunkIndex3d)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemSupplyChunks.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<loadOrGenerateChunkColumn>b__0()
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.ProcessMainThreadTasks()
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.ProcessMain()
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Stop(String reason)
   at _Ine8FeGTtDXciSIfaZMHMwCLKGBA._7qFtOrLrruN94uuyGVDb8Un9J6o()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

All I have to go on. When firing up my server with 0.9.3 (First time using this mod) server's cmd prompt just exits abruptly and there isn't even an error message.

Edit: I should say this is not a new world, it's ongoing.

Logs:

Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)12/30/2020 8:27:54 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Farmlife.EntityBehaviorConsume.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, JsonObject attributes)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.EntitySidedProperties.loadBehaviors(Entity entity, EntityProperties properties, IWorldAccessor world)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.EntityProperties.Initialize(Entity entity, ICoreAPI api)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.Entity.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, ICoreAPI api, Int64 InChunkIndex3d)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.EntityAgent.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, ICoreAPI api, Int64 InChunkIndex3d)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.LoadEntity(Entity entity, Int64 fromChunkIndex3d)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemSupplyChunks.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<loadOrGenerateChunkColumn>b__0()
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemSupplyChunks.LoadWorldgenHandlerAndSpawnChunks()
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.EnterRunPhase(EnumServerRunPhase runPhase)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Launch()
   at ‏‏‏‍‮‪‬‬‏‮‍‌‮‎‮‭‬‍‮‫‫‭‌‌‫‮‌‮‌‭‮.‪‭‫‬‎‌‏‬‫‫‭‎‫‏‌‮‮‪‫‍‫‌‮()
   at _lErb0L2e9E9htuT2VVnAsXIZqc7A._8puLW8J44fiq3A5hthQTfB8WNxc(ThreadStart )
-------------------------------
Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)12/30/2020 8:28:31 PM: Critical error occurred
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemSupplyChunks.LoadWorldgenHandlerAndSpawnChunks()

Edited by Raio_Verusia
36 minutes ago, Taska Raine said:

This is the log from a crash while starting up a new single player world.

Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)2020-12-30 8:29:40 PM: Critical error occurred
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.ProcessMain()
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Stop(String reason)
   at _Ine8FeGTtDXciSIfaZMHMwCLKGBA._7qFtOrLrruN94uuyGVDb8Un9J6o()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

34 minutes ago, Raio_Verusia said:

All I have to go on. When firing up my server with 0.9.3 (First time using this mod) server's cmd prompt just exits abruptly and there isn't even an error message.

Edit: I should say this is not a new world, it's ongoing.

Logs:

Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)12/30/2020 8:27:54 PM: Critical error occurred
Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)12/30/2020 8:28:31 PM: Critical error occurred

Thank you both so much for giving me your logs that made it a lot easier to fix. Hopefully now this will fix the bug and not cause any more crashes🤞. Let me know if you find anything else.

farmlife_v0.9.4.zip

• Thanks 1

@jakecool19 This new release has fixed the issue @l33tmaan was describing above, at least for my game it did. I am having an issue now where the hopper hooked up to a trough empties the hopper completely, even if the trough is full. Doesn't matter how it's hooked up to the trough, dried grass, oats, whatever, it will absorb it into the void.

2 hours ago, pawsbrake said:

@jakecool19 This new release has fixed the issue @l33tmaan was describing above, at least for my game it did. I am having an issue now where the hopper hooked up to a trough empties the hopper completely, even if the trough is full. Doesn't matter how it's hooked up to the trough, dried grass, oats, whatever, it will absorb it into the void.

Unfortunately that is a bug with the game itself. You see the trough is a container like a chest and holds items ex. food for animals. When the player puts food in it counts it as a portion and puts it in the trough. However a hopper just simply pushes items into a container with an open slot. This means that it bypasses the feed system so it does not count as a meal. The items should be in the trough inventory though, so breaking it will return whatever items the hopper put in. Hopefully they will fix it in the next big update.

The items should be in the trough inventory though, so breaking it will return whatever items the hopper put in

Wow, yeah that was a mess. Wish I'd have known that before I pumped hundreds and hundreds of dry grass into it, lol