Panic room for temporal storm

Saricane

Hello,

I built a small "panic room" in which I wait during temporal storms. It's just a 2x3 closed room covered with 6 cobblestone slabs, a hay bed (useless) and an oil lamp. It's been ok for several storms, and through the door, I could see drifters roaming in the base. But this time ... a deep drifter spawned in the panic room. Second later, I was dead. I don't understand how this was possible. Have you ever seen the same situation ? Is there a major flaw in my room or even in the concept of such a room ? Thanks.

12 hours ago, Saricane said:

Hello,

I built a small "panic room" in which I wait during temporal storms. It's just a 2x3 closed room covered with 6 cobblestone slabs, a hay bed (useless) and an oil lamp. It's been ok for several storms, and through the door, I could see drifters roaming in the base. But this time ... a deep drifter spawned in the panic room. Second later, I was dead. I don't understand how this was possible. Have you ever seen the same situation ? Is there a major flaw in my room or even in the concept of such a room ? Thanks.

Try something like that

2021-03-06_11-07-13.png

2021-03-06_11-07-20.png

• Mind=blown 1

Better option than a panic room- build a murder pit. 

• Dig a 5x5 hole, two tiles deep.
  • Line the inside of the top tile with some block that you chisel back to it's smallest remaining layer.  Mobs recognize the chiseled block as a whole block and simply walk over the edge and fall into the pit.
  • Build a pillar in the middle, at least two blocks high.
  • Stand on the pillar till the storm passes. You can afk wait doing that. Or, make sure you have a good ranged weapon arsenal on you and a good long-sword and slaughter them till the storm is over. Then descend and reap the spoils of victorious combat.

Feels sort of like cheating, and I hope they tinker with the reach of some of the more dangerous drifters to make it harder to do such things, but for now it works like a charm.
Drifters with shards of rusty metal knife looking bits attached to their hands should, I'd think, have a bit longer reach on them.  Some drifter variety that had a short-ish ranged attack would certainly mix the battle up.

~TH~

Thanks a lot, Craluminium & Thalius, for your answers. Being new to the game and still experiencing copper/bronze age, I am probably far from being able to work with chiseled materials (I guess the nice hollowed box shown by Craluminium is made from such chiseled chalk elements. Nevertheless, I keep those designs for the moment I'll be able to build them.

• Cookie time 1

In lieu of being able to do anything else, you can stand on top of a two or three block high pillar and wait it out. They can't reach you to hit you up there.
Just make sure no other blocks are stacked nearby within a two block radius that they could stand on to possibly hit you.

Edited by Thalius

On 3/7/2021 at 7:15 AM, Hal13 said:

As drifters can spawn anywhere in temporal storms, even in midair, but not inside of blocks the only completely safe way is that chiseled cell Craluminum has shown.

Maybe I've just been lucky then. I've stood on top of a pillar in the midst of a pit as I described, and afk rode out a heavy temporal storm and took no damage. Pit was full of drifters when I came back to see how it went.  Killed them all and reaped the spoils.

No, Thalius, it's a good way to go through the storm but it's not enough to be completely safe. Last time, one of them spawned on the pillar. To be precise, I don't know if he managed to spawn on the same tile as me or if spawned above me and fell on my shoulders, but it was there and almost killed me before falling in the pit with the others.

The pillar can still be made 100% safe if you include a chiseled cell on the top. Like, chisel out everything from the top two blocks except a one pixel wide "support" in each of the four corners. You can stand in there just fine, but since it is strictly speaking still the inside of a block, drifters cannot spawn there.

...Oh, yeah, you might want to put something on top to close it off. Anything is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the most dangerous time are after a heavy temporal storm, corrupt drifters don't flee, even bright sunshine day time. So a pit is good idea, and a longer escape tunnel under the soil, for 15, better 20 blocks/meters. Lot of spears also a must have.

Edited by RobinHood

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit of a newbie, so this is just a work in progress, but it traps everything quite nicely.  The half slabs look like full blocks, so they keep pathing up the stair (right behind the drifter) and falling down repeatedly.  

That said, it needs to be wider.  Some drifters have enough reach to get one hit in when they come in from the left.

After I've survived a 100% intensity storm I'll have a much more elegant and useful design, but for now this works.  I don't even bother killing them - I just trap them in the morning to get them out of the way without needing to damage my weapons.

Does NOT work on wolves! For wolves you need halfblock - empty space - halfblock, then can walk right over a mere halfblock - halfblock.  

EDIT: I have a ceiling to keep anything from dropping on my head, and a backup platform behind me in case my current platform is somehow compromised.

2021-04-06_17-24-08.png

Edited by RedPine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.