Crafting recipes' book

Gianma23

It would be usefull if there was a book with crafting, or some information about animals like an encyclopedia, who tells you the HP, if it's aggressive or not and something like that; obviously it should has to be crafted because it not contains essentials information without which you can't play. For me, I felt lost when I started to play, I didn't know what to do except cut off trees and pick flint from the ground...however I opened the wiki and I looked for some crafting...but I think some kind of craftings' book ingame will improve the gameplay, so you don't have to open the wiki every time you don't know how to do something and in this way you can feel really into the game.

However...the game is so cool!

11 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

As much as an in-game Book would be appreciated and very welcome, what we really need is some sort of NEI/JEI functionality. Something that would read the recipes folder and show the player all possible combinations to use the item block and how to obtain it. 

I'm still hoping for a better solution. When I look at recent minecraft modpack let's plays I can't help but wonder how much the the gameplay has turned into an inventory / gui management game. Implementing NEI/JEI like functionality would be a big step in that direction.

I don't want to make an inv/gui mangement game :/
I would like for players to spend as much time as possible inside the world, and not inside dialogs. 

Thank you Tyron. And I actually support this decision. I can see how valid the argument is and the fact that your approach to the game is to be played outside of the inventory GUI, 
After all, the main thing that convinced me to buy this game was when I watched the video showing things done in that manner.
Like; Knapping, Clayworking, and smithing. 
That said, I still feel that the more content gets added to the game the more the problem of players having no idea what to do and how to obtain that content is worsened.
A good WIKI helps a lot, and Vintage Story would not be the first game that we have to play with one monitor reserved for the wiki. 
That said, I actually feel better knowing that you want to step away from the inventory GUI as much as possible.

Some books should be enough to explain to the player what to do, however i agree with you Tyron, I think stay half an hour on the wiki because you can't do something can get boring, and worst of all get killed by a monster or a wolf when you're on the wiki.

This game doesn't have to be like minecraft with a million of crafting in the NEI/JEI, also a tutorial book would be appreciated by the player who start to play, so they don't feel lost in the world.

Clay working is one of the more important things for a book to explain.  From all the youtubers, it seems like every single one - if they haven't watched other videos or looked at the wiki - misses either the multiple-voxel options, the copy function, or both.   And missing both makes clay knapping very grindy, and that's pretty much the first game mechanic new players will encounter.   So having this covered in an in-game manual would probably be really good.  

Also other obscure knowledge, like the ability to get flint from blocks with just your hand.'

The ability to throw rocks and spears.

How to make a campfire, torches, and baskets.

How to find bees.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:19 AM, Tyron said:

I'm still hoping for a better solution. When I look at recent minecraft modpack let's plays I can't help but wonder how much the the gameplay has turned into an inventory / gui management game. Implementing NEI/JEI like functionality would be a big step in that direction.

I would like for players to spend as much time as possible inside the world, and not inside dialogs. 

I agree. I, for one, don't want this to become just a minecraft clone using all the same ideas.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:43 AM, tony Liberatto said:

Thank you Tyron. And I actually support this decision. I can see how valid the argument is and the fact that your approach to the game is to be played outside of the inventory GUI, 
After all, the main thing that convinced me to buy this game was when I watched the video showing things done in that manner.
Like; Knapping, Clayworking, and smithing. 
That said, I still feel that the more content gets added to the game the more the problem of players having no idea what to do and how to obtain that content is worsened.
A good WIKI helps a lot, and Vintage Story would not be the first game that we have to play with one monitor reserved for the wiki. 
That said, I actually feel better knowing that you want to step away from the inventory GUI as much as possible.

Personally, I don't like needing to go to the wiki. It really breaks the immersion and, feels like cheating to me. Like meta-gaming in roleplay.

I'm not sure the best way to accomplish the goal of being able to learn recipes without them just being handed out like candy but, I would prefer needing to learn them in game. I tend to like doing quests, but I hate the guest games where the quest is just "make this, get that." I would want to see some story involvement. Maybe there can be a mechanic of research and practice to unlock the recipes as part of a progression system? Or ancient scrolls found in ruins?

On 8/30/2018 at 8:18 AM, redram said:

the copy function
the ability to get flint from blocks with just your hand.'

I still don't know these.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree about JEI/NEI, maybe that could be in one play style if necessary but I think one of the things that makes this game so special is the immersive quality.  The functionality options which are being added, like coordinate (V) and the minimap are great for players who want it but notice that many of the  youtubers (and me which you can't see) are turning those off in order to enjoy the game more.  JEI/NEI are a non--immersive solution.  Something that was more immersive (and unique) would add more to the game play along with adding functionality.  I am all for a book that you can add recipes to as you find them/trade for them (really like the trading idea) or a straight out recipe book if the other is too hard to do.  It would add some real need to find traders.

I totally agree Mamma, tho I do love using the mini-map myself. I love your idea of a book that you can add recipes to. Definitely trading for them is a great idea, and a way to "research" to find them yourself, other than just trying different combinations.

Playing on any good servers lately? I kinda haven't been keeping up with Grimm since he's been playing only games I don't have and can't afford to buy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 12:19 PM, Tyron said:

Oh yes please baby!!! JEI will be perfect. And a + button at our crafting table <--- U know what i mean....

why not do something instead of a book but a type of journal log system that allows us to search and look up information as we "unlock it". i know that the crafting table in the inventory should be removed to a in world special system for crafting like in world construction of blocks/buildings and stuff like how we "build" the firepit. but we should definitely get some sort of place to look it up and see examples in game of how to build/construct etc. as a better example maybe like how botania does its book? but instead of a book something that evolves over time and you have access to with a click of a button like a journal that unlocks only when you obtain your first flint/stone, copper ingot, clay, fibers, hide, fat, foods, etc?

I am completely on board with the immersive, non-gui, gameplay.  However, the problem of leaving the game to view the wiki is a very real problem and is the single most immersion breaking thing there is.  You can't get an more "gui" than an internet browser.  Some sort of solution for learning the game mechanics would be helpful.  A book is sub-optimal, but then there really is no great way of going about the slog of learning complex game mechanics.  Having a reference in-game would at least prevent having to leave the game to access the wiki and provide an in-world way to learn the game.

I think the idea of the book could be further improved by only having the information that is actually useful at the time.  For example, a player starting out really needs to know about flint knapping, so that is in the book.  When they have made a flint axe, info on chopping down trees is added.  Once they chop down a tree, info on chopping firewood is added, etc.  This would have the benefit of streamlining their reading of instructional information, meaning they would spend less time poking around on the wiki hunting for information and more time immersed in the game.  The book would essentially be a wiki.

Tyron, I think Minecraft added the NEI/JEI functionality for the same reasons you don't want to add them.  Instead of leaving gameplay to enter a gui, players had to leave the game itself to browse the internet.  The crafting recipes of MC are definitely to be avoided, but constant wiki references even more so.  Other ways of teaching gameplay are entirely unsuited to VC, as far as I can tell.  I can't imagine some NPC talking you through the "opening level".  Having things pointed out to you with tool-tips would break the feeling of independence, openness, etc. and make the game feel formulaic.

That being said, I don't think it is a high-priority item.  Honestly, most of the player base is probably pretty hardcore when it comes to games like this anyhow.  I myself have simply accepted wiki time as part of life, lol, and I don't really mind it.

Archived