Best way to farm rot?

Builder Bob

Hey folks,

I haven't been able to find any of the top of the line dirt.  Instead, I'm looking to use rot to make composted soil.

Does anyone have recommendations on an efficient way to farm/gather material to rot?  I haven't found any so far.  I let my game meat rot but there's not a ton of that.

Thanks in advance!

In my experience the quickest way if you're in a temperate climate is gathering berries and letting them rot in your bar and/or in a reed basket left outside. That being said it'll still take quite a while to fill a barrel with rot - the game just doesn't have a very realistic or terribly efficient way to make compost at this point.

Meat and berries for the early stages of the game. Like @allstreets said though, there technically isn't a set reliable way to making rot if you're in desperate need for better fertility farmland.. However, most common items you will probably have an abundance of is berries and meat.
This however comes from personal experience and it may vary for others.. But for me, I always have a large quantity of meat and berries at the ready, to even a point where I end up chucking it, Wolves for example always end up on the menu, including any stray hare or goat or boar that wanders in and isn't domesticated. And berries... Well, if you go exploring a lot to find certain resources or interesting places.. I tend to pick up a lot of berry bushes. Which are a massive income of berries by the time they all ripe, including an added income of bush-meat from raccoons.

• Like 1

if you're looking for a high quantity of rot and have food to waste, meals produce a lot of rot (i just cleaned out a bunch of rotten bowls in my base and got 4 from each of them, tho idk if that's the only number you ever get or if it's a range). you might try making a porridge or soup or something, picking up all the servings, and then leaving it either outside in a reed basket or just sitting outside (whichever has faster rot time) until they're bowls of rot. and then toss 'em in water, let the rot float to the surface, and repeat.

obviously it's more labor intensive than just gathering berries/hunting, but it's how i get the majority of my rot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 11:21 AM, Builder Bob said:

Hey folks,

I haven't been able to find any of the top of the line dirt.  Instead, I'm looking to use rot to make composted soil.

Does anyone have recommendations on an efficient way to farm/gather material to rot?  I haven't found any so far.  I let my game meat rot but there's not a ton of that.

Thanks in advance!

Composting isn't viable in VS unless you dedicate a certain amount of farmed crops to compost (Google "60 30 10 agriculture" for more info on how it's done in the real world). I'd think that the least labor intensive way of getting rot is through egg farming, like others in this thread have said. Though the best method in my opinion is farming pigs. Sows give birth to like 4 piglets at a time and multiply very, very, quickly. If you need a quick way of killing them, you can just aggro a few of your highest generation pigs to a secluded area, box them in, and then use pit kilns to kill the rest of your animals. After that just destroy the pit kilns and let in your high gen piggies back in. From experience I've gotten over 30 stacks of redmeat with gen 5 pigs giving birth, which is around 480 compost (240 high fertility soil) after 20d of sealing.

• 2 months later...

If you really want rot, then the newly introduced fruit mash (obtained from squeezing juice out of fruit in the fruitpress) is amazing for farming rot - it spoils relatively fast, and you get 1 rot per 1 mash. You get 10 mash per 32 juiced fruit. Problem is, I have way too much wine now.
That being said, farming on medium fertility soil is efficient enough for farming IMO. However, compost itself is useful as an N fertilizer.

I am personally trying to figure out what to do with growing pumpkins that refused to mature... they take so long to spoil.

Edited by Jacob Kos
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.