locating Kimberlite & Phyllite

RationallyParanoid
Go to solution Solved by dakko,

• Solution

Apparently an understanding of rock strata is helpful in finding different rocks. I'll be interested to see the replies here, as this is something I've been unable to grasp on my own. Meanwhile, here is the wiki page (kimberlite is an igneous rock, and phyllite is metamorphic):

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Rock

EDIT: Btw, kimberlite can only be made into cobblestone (and polished stone). It can only contain chromium, titanium and uranium so that might help narrow it down if using the propick.

Edited by dakko

I have found my kimberlite above a very interesting formation: ideal circle of lava pool with ideal sphere above. I.e. spherical round cave with lava on its bottom side - half a ball of air next to mantle. The kimberlite had dome form with ~15 blocks diameter above this cave, going up to sedimentary layer. Generation of 1.16.

The only time I have met phyllite was when looking very deep for iron, and it also had something unusual: phyllite was under igneous layer. It was a border between granite and andesite provinces, when granite plateau is on the bottom, and andesite is going on top of the granite. Phyllite was supposed to be the metamorphic layer of granite, i.e. above any igneous, a very small patch, but actually in this area it was above granite but UNDER andesite. And even worse: on the very edge of granite - phyllite was placed on the mantle. With igneous andesite above it.

All this is quite understandable if looking into the JSON for rock strata: phyllite - unlike all other metamorphs - is generated bottom-up instead of top-down.

• Like 1

I have been having trouble finding these two aswell. Pic related is some kimberlite I found underneath andesite sand in a granite desert. Pretty interesting. As far as I know kimberlite can be very deep, you will never see it on the surface. It is a host for diamond so you might see that show up with propick? As for phylite I have had great difficulty finding it. As far as my understanding goes it is located in the same types of areas you would find slate/marble.

Hope this helps.

image.thumb.jpeg.70b4831c85a8e455aa7270e6444ecb5e.jpeg

Edited by Parmind

19 hours ago, BenLi said:

I have found my kimberlite above a very interesting formation: ideal circle of lava pool with ideal sphere above. I.e. spherical round cave with lava on its bottom side - half a ball of air next to mantle. The kimberlite had dome form with ~15 blocks diameter above this cave, going up to sedimentary layer. Generation of 1.16.

Nice. Apart from the cave, that's pretty much the most common hypothesis for the formation of kimberlite pipes, maybe even dikes, though those are on the top end of what that kind of phenomenon should produce, But, yeah roots down into the mantle. IRL, lit will likely be within peridotite or basalt.

3 hours ago, Parmind said:

As far as my understanding goes it is located in the same types of areas you would find slate/marble.

Again, nice. Not so sure about the marble, which is a metamorphic limestone, but phyllite is metamorphic slate, which is metamorphic shale, which is metamorphic clay or claystone. IRL, you expect to find phyllite towards the bottom edge of deeper deposits of slate.

Sounds like the team did a decent job getting the petrology correct. One of the few quibbles is every sample of olivine in my real life collection is in a basaltic matrix, and despite mining a lot of basalt in the game, have never encountered any olivine. If I'm remembering the Handbook, it can't even form there.

19 hours ago, Parmind said:

I have been having trouble finding these two aswell. Pic related is some kimberlite I found underneath andesite sand in a granite desert. Pretty interesting. As far as I know kimberlite can be very deep, you will never see it on the surface. It is a host for diamond so you might see that show up with propick? As for phylite I have had great difficulty finding it. As far as my understanding goes it is located in the same types of areas you would find slate/marble.

Hope this helps.

image.thumb.jpeg.70b4831c85a8e455aa7270e6444ecb5e.jpeg

What you picture is the best way I know of for finding kimberlite.  As I understand rock strata generation for kimberlite "pushes up" the rock strata above it producing the odd surface generation pictured.

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to find phylite. It's needed for the colorful dry stone blocks but it seems impossible to find. I've traversed tens of thousands of blocks of the world, regularly digging down to check beneath any sedimentary areas I find, but I've never found a single block of it. I wish it wasn't so rare, given that you can't make one of the prettiest blocks in the game without it... And also it's such a nice color of stone for building! When I saw this thread I was hoping to find some secret tip for locating some but it sounds like it's down to sheer luck... :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.