Hay sooooo temporal storm spawns.........

Vinnie Crawford

I was playing by my self and with a pal and of course in both worlds are nice cozy homes.... In old updates I would hide in said homes and run like a coward after it was over to despawn the monsters. But now I face a issue.

When hiding in my home the monsters of the temporal storms spawn inside my home!.

I am unsure if I have made bad homes that dont protect me in the new update. Can anyone explain how to make ones home safe from enemy spawn. I have lanterns and fire places to keep my house lighted up so it can be a light issue.

• Like 1

This is not new in the latest update. Drifters have gained the ability to ignore almost all spawn restrictions during temporal storms a long time ago. If necessary they will spawn in midair to get to you.

The one thing I have found that works (at least it hasn't failed me yet) is being somewhere completely enclosed, with no full block spaces being open on the inside. For example, a one block deep, two blocks tall closet with ladders stuck to the wall. The ladders reduce the available block space to less than full, so no drifters can spawn there, but you can still be in that same space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

This is not new in the latest update. Drifters have gained the ability to ignore almost all spawn restrictions during temporal storms a long time ago. If necessary they will spawn in midair to get to you.

The one thing I have found that works (at least it hasn't failed me yet) is being somewhere completely enclosed, with no full block spaces being open on the inside. For example, a one block deep, two blocks tall closet with ladders stuck to the wall. The ladders reduce the available block space to less than full, so no drifters can spawn there, but you can still be in that same space.

Ah dang...

So what are you meant to do in a storm?

Just run until its over?

Run overland is an option.  Fight the pesky monsters (throwing spears and kiting can be effective) or create a panic room using Streetwind's requirements to prevent monster spawns are the other two options.

Sleeping may work if you have that option enabled.

Edited by Maelstrom

I think this is the worst feature of the entire game.

I like the jeopardy of having to get home quick when a storm approaches and not being able to go outside without risk while a storm is happening. I also like the temporal stability mechanic in general and the risk of going deeper underground but having to wall yourself into a tiny space and just wait for hours is rubbish, especially early game when you might not have been fortunate enough to get tooled up to fight drifters. It seems especially unfair if playing in a true permadeath survival mode when time is always at a premium. I know you have the 'sleep through storms' option but again that's eating up time and doesn't make any sense - if I go to sleep drifters won't spawn in my base but if I stay awake and 'keep guard' they will!

The perfect solution for me would be an option for drifters in temporal storms to respect spawn rules based solely on light level ie they wouldn't spawn in an enclosed area provided it was sufficiently well lit. This would work if you were far from home and had to dig a quick underground shelter and light it. Yes you'd still be deprived of useful hours but that in that case it would make sense as you've been caught away from home and are in an emergency shelter.

This business of putting down half slabs and/or walling yourself up just seems a bad idea so I always play with temporal storms turned off now - a shame as it does make the game somewhat tamer.

Everyone has their own preferences and opinions but the temporal storm spawning mechanic knocks a whole chunk of enjoyment off the game for me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bastez said:

I think this is the worst feature of the entire game.

I like the jeopardy of having to get home quick when a storm approaches and not being able to go outside without risk while a storm is happening...  but having to wall yourself into a tiny space and just wait for hours is rubbish, especially early game when you might not have been fortunate enough to get tooled up to fight drifters. [emphasis added]

LOVE that Tyron makes the game so customizable and always advocate for customizing the game for fun.  Here's how I handle early game storms (but do what is fun for you!)

Turtling isn't necessary to enjoy storms early game.  I, too, was recently caught under-equipped for the first storm of the world.  I pillared up about 20 blocks and spent some time knapping 8 spear heads and then descended for the fight.  Almost bagged me a double headed drifter.  I would have if I hadn't been dumb going after a spear that was too close to him.

If you have a base just run around the perimeter and pick off drifters with spears.  When they get close to you run away some more, turn and plug some more drifters.  Run out of spears?  Just run keep running the perimeter until you get back to where the spear are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

LOVE that Tyron makes the game so customizable and always advocate for customizing the game for fun.  Here's how I handle early game storms (but do what is fun for you!)

Turtling isn't necessary to enjoy storms early game.  I, too, was recently caught under-equipped for the first storm of the world.  I pillared up about 20 blocks and spent some time knapping 8 spear heads and then descended for the fight.  Almost bagged me a double headed drifter.  I would have if I hadn't been dumb going after a spear that was too close to him.

If you have a base just run around the perimeter and pick off drifters with spears.  When they get close to you run away some more, turn and plug some more drifters.  Run out of spears?  Just run keep running the perimeter until you get back to where the spear are.

I know, I get it but... what if you don't have anything for knapping or anything else constructive to do for the duration of the storm or even blocks to create a nerd pole?

Also, if what I read is right, you could just be unlucky and have a drifter spawn on your head, then what? I agree, the customisation options are great but 'spawn only in low light levels/spawn anywhere' for temporal storm drifters is the one option that's really missing for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bastez said:

Also, if what I read is right, you could just be unlucky and have a drifter spawn on your head, then what?

I suspect this is true, but I don't know for sure. I've tried sitting out storms on a pillar trying to find out whether one could spawn in the air above me, but so far it's never happened.

4 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I don't know about 1.18 but I know that before I would chisel every block on the floor because drifters would not spawn on a chiseled block. It really helped during temporal storms

Good to know but hardly a valid early game valid strategy. And why should that be necessary anyway? It doesn't make any sense that drifters will spawn on a normal block but not on one that's had a bit chiselled off!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bastez said:

Good to know but hardly a valid early game valid strategy. And why should that be necessary anyway? It doesn't make any sense that drifters will spawn on a normal block but not on one that's had a bit chiselled off!

For what it's worth, so far they don't appear to spawn on paths, either, and those are available day 1. And so far, none have been able to spawn on a bed if the ceiling is only 2 high, i.e., you have to crouch to get onto the space. If the space is 3 high, so they can spawn in the air, yes, they can, but 2, not yet.

[EDIT]

But even if your world has no copper at all, and you have to pan for everything, you should be able to have a chisel by 10 days in.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

14 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

But even if your world has no copper at all, and you have to pan for everything, you should be able to have a chisel by 10 days in.

Of course getting a chisel is possible, but it seems silly having to chisel the entire floor,  use a nerd pole, use paths or half slabs everywhere or have inconveniently low ceilings - they all seem like unrealistic strategies to mitigate something that shouldn't be happening (in my opinion). If death was utterly inconsequential (unlimited respawns, no loss of gear or stats etc) then the 'spawn anywhere' mechanic would be fine - although we'd be playing a 3D shooter then -  but it seems to completely negate the purpose of building a house/base.

I'd even be happy if drifters were able to damage blocks and beat their way in; at least we could try to repair/replace blocks or build traps but having them spawn inside seems unfair to me if playing permadeath. Anyway, I've ranted about this in several threads and can't ever see it changing so I'll continue to play with storms turned off but enjoy the game a little less. TBH the area I've settled in at the minute seems to have thunder and lightning every five minutes so that's enough storms to be going on with :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I play permadeath, too, which is why I welcomed 1.18. Now there's a reason to bother with drifters. What's the point of repairing a translocator? There's plenty of stuff to harvest nearby. So Temporal Gears were worthless to me before. I usually spend storms running around outside, but now I focus on killing the bigger ones. It's only because of those who don't want to fight through the storm that I've bothered trying to figure out something to accommodate them. It would be nice if I could find something easy to recommend to avoid storm spawns, but sounds like you are completely uninterested in that anyway. Which seems weird -- the whole lore regarding rifts and storms  and even translocators means they should be "spawning" without regard for what size room you use, or what you do with the floor. The only defense should be slaying the drifters or somehow send them back from whence they came.

I don't know what the rule is, but I rarely get more than two or three drifters spawning in a normal-sized room during an entire storm, even with just a regular old dirt floor. (Playing Wilderness, there's no warning of the storm, so I'm usually not close enough to anything to try other than what I can slap together with what I have on hand. 2 or 3 drifters per storm? That's just too infrequent for my tastes. But I do understand that those who play more for the building aspect might think it too frequent.

• Like 1

I'm too early game and too inept at combat to be eager to kill drifters in my house.

My understanding of the way to avoid in-house spawns is to put a rock on every floor block. The drifters won't spawn on a block with an item on it, but the player can walk on floor blocks containing rocks.

Here's another possibility I tried an hour ago. It's only been through one medium storm so far, so take that for what it's worth. It's also low ceiling, at 2 high. But it was a 16x16 space, so pretty good area. Anyway, I filled every floor tile with either something to knap or something to clayform. I went through the storm, replacing the completed work with another knappable or formable item as soon as possible, and got no spawns.

Not proof, I get it. I've been through storms before with just my regular old 7x7x4 or 5 without getting any spawns, either. Usually it's at least a couple, but the god of the RNG has final say. 

@Echoweaver so far as I know, that's true only for regular spawn rules. I've plopped down a 5x5x4 (or so) house between 3 rifts, just out of range of taking stability damage, placed stones on each floor tile, with high rift activity, just to see, and got through the night without any spawns. But that is not going to work to prevent spawns in a storm.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Bastez said:

I know, I get it but... what if you don't have anything for knapping or anything else constructive to do for the duration of the storm or even blocks to create a nerd pole?

Also, if what I read is right, you could just be unlucky and have a drifter spawn on your head, then what? I agree, the customisation options are great but 'spawn only in low light levels/spawn anywhere' for temporal storm drifters is the one option that's really missing for me.

For the former - I just run overland away from home.  As long as you have a bit of food on you there's no problem, just keep running.  I've been caught a long way from home while heading home when a storm hits.  Since I play blackguard I don't have the hunter's speed bonus and only get hit by a rock once or twice.  If you don't have anything, just run away from home and circle back when storm starts winding down.

The storm I described?  It hit pretty quickly, I think May 6 or 9 on a 12 day month cycle.  I was knapping spear heads for the first half of the storm atop a single block tower of hay and no drifters spawned next to me; although I saw drifters spawning below me.  After I finished knapping my arsenal I took down my nerd pole and ran around attacking drifters the second half (sans armor).  Mind you, I'm not good with combat.  I built up some space between me and the drifters, turned and tossed two or three spears, ran away some more and repeated the process.  When I ran out of spears, circled around to pick up the ones I had thrown and started the process over.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

For the former - I just run overland away from home.  As long as you have a bit of food on you there's no problem, just keep running.  I've been caught a long way from home while heading home when a storm hits.  Since I play blackguard I don't have the hunter's speed bonus and only get hit by a rock once or twice.  If you don't have anything, just run away from home and circle back when storm starts winding down.

This. If you are playing with map, have some key near at hand set to a macro to mark your map with whatever you find interesting. One game quite a while ago, I stumbled across tin when running in an early storm, and I did not mark it, and never did find it again. It was probably only 500 from my house or so, and I thought I would recognize the landmarks later, but no...

9 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

This. If you are playing with map, have some key near at hand set to a macro to mark your map with whatever you find interesting. One game quite a while ago, I stumbled across tin when running in an early storm, and I did not mark it, and never did find it again. It was probably only 500 from my house or so, and I thought I would recognize the landmarks later, but no...

Veering off topic but...  we can set macro keys?! Or is this a mod?

EDIT I mean to replicate map commands, I know about chat macros.

Edited by Bastez

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.