Low crop growth rate

PhantomX7412
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

I have a problem. Now I have a summer season, my beds are on chernozem, with all fertilizers. But the growth rate, for example, is N 30%. Wikipedia says that you need to wait 3-4 game hours to update the amount of nutrients. I slept for 3-4 game hours, nothing has changed, I sat near the crops for 3-4 game hours, nothing has changed. At the same time that the crops were not shown. What am I doing wrong?

2023-08-24_14-01-55.png

• Solution

You will not be able to grow the same type of crop on the same block of farmland over and over.

Each crop requires one of the three nutrients, and drains it from the soil. The less nutrient remains, the slower the crop grows. Nutrient recovers over time, but much slower than plants consume it. Fertilizer helps, but releases only gradually over time (hence the tooltip literally saying "slow-release fertilizer"). Some crops with high nutrient needs will still drain the soil much faster than fertilizer can restore it.

To get around this, you need crop rotation. That means: first, plant a K crop. Once its fully grown and harvested, plant a N crop. Once that's fully grown and harvested, plant a P crop. And once that is done, the K nutrient will have fully recovered and you can start again from the beginning. You don't even need fertilizer or good soil for this to work. If you do have good soil and fertilizer, you may be able to alternate between just two crop types instead of all three.

But you can't expect to just plant flax over and over without a break on the same soil. This is intentional.

• Like 1

Another trick I've found early game was when I was stuck in a situation where all of the seeds I found used the exact same nutrient. I only had medium fertility soil, stacks of it from digging out areas to shape my base, so after harvesting a crop, I would dig up the depleted soil -- which destroys it as tilled soil cannot be dug up -- then placed a fresh medium fertility block and tilled it.

I'm hoping to end up with a more sustainable solution once I have more crop types, but for now this lets me keep my tiny little farm growing.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:32 PM, Thorfinn said:

It's not like space is at a premium. Why not just lay down another couple rows of medium fertility and call it a day? If you don't have anything to plant on the one that's partially depleted, just leave it fallow.

At the moment, lack of irrigation water. I expect to have a saw soon, but as I got off to a slow metal start, no saw meant no buckets. I had seeds and wanted to get them into the ground so I had food. All of my farmland is based on placing dirt blocks into a pond so they would stay irrigated. To leave blocks fallow, I would have to have another farm at another pond with its own fences and rabbit pit... so just easier on resources and time to replace the soil -- which I have plenty of from working on other things.

For future farms once I have a bucket, I expect to use field rotations, and hopefully crop rotation once I find seeds that are not all the exact same nutrient requirement

9 hours ago, Dralnalak said:

All of my farmland is based on placing dirt blocks into a pond so they would stay irrigated.

I assumed that to be the the case. I think it generally is. Definitely in my worlds. For an initial "base", my major criterion is that it has a very large shallow pond/lake where I can place a couple hundred blocks of medium fertility soil in the standard 8-around-1 pattern. Peat is a nice bonus.  Copper/tin, it doesn't take more than a couple hours game time to mine out a seam and then the value of having a base there just went way down.

I get making a base in some scenic landscape, but that's way down on my list of important qualities to look for in a starter home. It's all about getting seeds in the ground.

If I didn't need a bucket for processing honey (what was the thought process behind honeycomb stacking to only 8, anyway?), I doubt I would bother with one in most games until I was going to make the jump from linen sacks to backpacks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.