Rooms in houses

David Taylor

I've started building a house and wanted to make something a tiny bit better than my usual dirt box hovel, so I have a cobble L shaped house.

I've looked at the wiki and it says a room is an enclosed space 14x14x14 and I've just tested this in my house using the /debug room hi command.

This means if I want to have rooms in my house (from the point of view of temperature control) I need to put doors between most rooms, which will make moving around a nuisance.

What does everyone else do?

I need to recheck, seems when I left the door open to what was an enclosed room, the room remained in the enclosed status (with the door open).  if this is really true, then leaving the door open removes the need to open/close while passing thru.  I mean the passage is still narrow by a door width idk...

The other thing IR, houses usually have nothing but rooms with doors, and hallways connecting everything.  I like wide open spaces, otoh enclosing sections within the dwelling can look good too?

13 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Tangent question: does anyone know if those doors applies to greenhouses?  Seems like it would, but would like definitive confirmation.

They need doors to be considered rooms, but other than keeping rabbits out it doesn't matter if the doors are open or closed.

Doors. Sometimes they are open sometimes they are closed (the ones leading outdoors are always closed unless im just going right back out again) my biggest room is 7x14 with a combined Forge/Storage room that will be expanded again when i make a Windmill (so will need doors as it will be effectively 7x21 all planned) Everywhere except the kitchen has single doors and they aren't any issue to move thru.

I checked using a door between the two rooms in my house and even when the door is open the /debug rooms hi shows green so I guess interior doors can be open or closed - very good!

The wiki says 14 x 14 x 14 so I guess that allows for 2 stories of about 4 blocks high with an open staircase between them and a ceiling on the top floor if there is a pitched roof.

The current "room" algorithm is kind of wonky. It works perfect when you're actually creating small rooms or houses, but when you want to create something like an actual house - in the way they used to be built in the past - you won't get them, most likely. Add actual chimneys & amenities, and 100% you won't get your house to be one. I have a situation where my house fits exactly within the limits - all with the chiselled blocks for chimney counted perfectly to a single voxel and the game still does not count it as a room. It kind of makes no sense, particularly when chiselling allows you to create elaborate designs with actual working chimneys and I despise the cookie cutter designs where placed limitations completely restrict you in terms of what you can create, causing every single building to look and work exactly the same.

That said, the bonus is basically +1C in base temps and no winds inside. Only Tyron probably knows whether it has any impact at all, might be purely aesthetic, might slow down temperatur loss. I will say this tho - if it's meant to be an actual mechanic, it will have to be revised and seriously. +1 in temps means literally nothing, even in temperate climate, as you'll start freezing in cold seasons without proper clothing and constant warmth generators (like fires).

I'll have to look into it a bit more and maybe there's something that could be done about it. I'd love to have actual working chimneys.

When this topic came up a while ago (6,8 mos?) I did some quick and dirty checking to see if it was ever going to affect me. Max size, solid blocks, fine. Chisel a block, invalid room. Put in a 1 block alcove somewhere, making it just one block larger, not a room. Replace that alcove with a block, valid room. Chisel that block, not a valid room. Add a block inside the max size and chisel it, still a valid room.

From that, I concluded that the algorithm probably counts chiseled blocks as if they are air blocks. It counts out to the first solid block, (though there are exceptions like cobblestone stairs or slabs count as solid, though I understand slabs no longer do) to serve as the outer bound of your room. Which kind of makes sense. You can't make chiseled blocks serve as cellar walls or access points, IIRC, they could not be used as walls for pit kilns, but they can be used in coke ovens (some weird rules apply) and cementation furnaces.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.