Temporal stability

HuskyTemple

5 hours ago, HuskyTemple said:

I have been wondering what temporal stability is. Could someone explain it for me?

Basically when your stability gets too low, The world will start to be distorted, and more powerful drifters will start to appear due to the time distortion. They're powerful, even if you're on the surface (unlike 'normal' drifters).  And they can appear very close, even in light, again unlike normal situation.   It's basically a time to watch your back.   If it's a temporal storm, it'll pass eventually.  But if your personal temporal stability got low, I think you need to kill drifters to raise your stability, or if you have a temporal gear and I think a knife(?) you can use that to instantly gain some stability.  You personal stability goes down when you're in areas of low stability.  Patches of low stability can happen randomly on the surface (not like, dynamically, but they generate at world gen), but stability is also generally lower the deeper underground you go.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Jeremy McArthur said:

Wait the surface areas are static? Are we sure? I could have SWORN there was a spot of heavy distortion on the surface that appeared and then left after a while?  

while there are areas on the surface that are instabil, those should persist and never end if i remember correctly. maybe there was a temporal storm at the time?

No I was on a multiplayer server helping someone start and after about a day I noticed the music changed to the creepy temporal music and I noticed the gear spinning. Now maybe it took me that long to notice? But i've been through there since I didn't notice the same effect. Does the temporal music start when the disruption reaches a certain %? I may go back just to see, because I know right where it was. Oh I think SCC was there to at one point and he said it was abnormally strong and covered a large area. He would know better than me. 

39 minutes ago, Jeremy McArthur said:

Does the temporal music start when the disruption reaches a certain %?

Not sure on that.  But what you want to watch, is simply which way your gear is spinning.  If it's spinning counter-clockwise, then the area is temporally unstable, and the faster it spins, the more unstable.   If it's spinning clockwise, the area is temporally stable.

1 hour ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

I think torches burn out faster and likely food spoils faster during a storm

hmmm i think tyron once mentioned in a twitch stream (via the chat, he was watching most of the evening. The streamer was Gronkh, the most well known german let's player) that temporal areas (and i think the storms as well) have no effect on how fast processes finish right now.

He also mentioned that he liked the idea of, for example, fields growing faster in a temporal unstable region as "time flows faster inside" which would lead me to the conclusion that it will probably added at some point.

As for the stream, i'm gonna drop a little link Vintage Story Stream with Gronkh (german) it's also the stream that made me (and probably a lot of other german speaking people) buy the game. Might have been the best puplicity the game got until now, at least in german speaking countrys.

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2020 at 4:28 AM, EMSpara said:

So my multiplayer server just had a  temp storm. Now my temp stability keeps going down. Will it eventually disperse? It is right at my home.

The temporal distortion caused by temporal storms is temporary and only lasts as long as the storm causing it lasts.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah just figured out that where I built my base has a constant temporal flux downward. DO after the storm it would continue to decrease. After leaving the area I found a spot that evened out and eventually had to rebuild a new home there. 

• 3 years later...

I was mining olivine around y55 and not surprisingly it was very temporally unstable. I had the entire quarry lit up to excess. Drifters didn't spawn while I mined, but as I was leaving or getting ready to, they would start appearing. I couldn't figure out why this was happening. I read something about drifters and temporal stability and redram just confirmed it. I was heading up when my stability was around 10%. I have now learned that if your stability is too low, drifters can spawn even in well lit areas.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.