Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

Did I just miss it, or has no one mentioned that nails included in this mod which don't seem to correlate with any use in-game? I'm getting some ideas, and I don't quite know how to implement them - one of them being how to get 10 nails out of the mold rather than six(by modifying the recipe), though the texture doesn't reflect it, and I haven't actually tried casting them to see if it works.

At any rate, there's at least one other recipe so far that I'd like to try to include nails in, but i'm brand new to modding VS, and I'm not entirely clear on the language. Going to experiment a bit to see if I can skip the coding lessons for now. 😎

11 hours ago, Hal13 said:

That depends heavily on the enclosure you use and therefore it would need more than only detection of captured animals but for example on block types around them too (maybe you just keep them in a 100x100 lit and fenced in grassy area). It would bloat up the issue massively and discourage going on exploration even only for a few days as you'd have to keep the animals fed (and therefore you'd end up with either exploration or animal husbandry). Tending to animals is time consuming af irl, as long as it's not the main focus of a game you wouldn't want to introduce an overly tedious mechanic as a dev, but at what point a mechanic becomes overly tedious is a difficult question for itself.

Perhaps my lack of familiarity with the mechanics owes to my thinking here, but ideas like troughs with hoppers for continuous automatic feeding enter my mind.

I can see what you mean vz. being on a leash to animal husbandry, otherwise.

2 hours ago, Jesse Caron said:

Also, I've been back-and-forth between topics, so I don't want my above reply about nails^^ to get lost in the shuffle. I should've waited for an answer to one before submitting the next...

Both nails and spikes currently have no use in the game.  I *was* working on a separate bridge building mod (as the original version of Primitive Survival had bridges and I was regretting dropping them).  Then OzBillo released a bridge mod, so rather than completely abandon that stuff, I shuffled it into this mod for future use.

11 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

You can have your own bridges as long as they're different, right? 😄

I certainly could, and still might.  I *thought* that OzBillo was going to take on bridges and run with it, but now I'm not so sure.  I was also thinking of something more immersive and flexible in terms of design, rather than just grid crafting and placing blocks.  Not sure how people feel about that though, it seems like a lot of players just want quick and easy.

Edited by Spear and Fang

Just a couple ideas that have been bouncing around the server I'm on and in my head. The first would be to take a scraped hide and surround it in sticks and/or boards (possibly even some cordage) to make a stretched hide as decoration on walls or as a stand up rack on floors. The other idea comes from me overdoing things in the fishing department and getting anywhere from 30-40 fish per day on a server (most go to composting) but rarely do I find enough of the same kind/freshness to make meals out of anything but fillets. Is there a way to make something like a fish barrel or tank to keep fish fresh for longer like alot of fishermen use when they go out? By the way we all love your mod on our server, it's kept a lot of us from starving in the winter which is fairly often with how often some of us are on. 

P.S. keep up the great work, this is a mod I will always use unless Tyron  incorporates the whole thing into the base coding and then I'll look forward to whatever you decide to do after that.

• Like 1

I was thinking more like a container full of water to keep the fish alive until you get home. Fishing ships have water tanks for that purpose and casual fishers use a cooler with water in it, a basket that can be placed in the water and allows water in, or a line that can be threaded through a fish's gills to keep them in water without escaping. The idea is to catch the fish and keep them alive(fresh) until you are ready to take them in and store or use them.

I was thinking more like a container full of water to keep the fish alive until you get home. Fishing ships have water tanks for that purpose and casual fishers use a cooler with water in it, a basket that can be placed in the water and allows water in, or a line that can be threaded through a fish's gills to keep them in water without escaping. The idea is to catch the fish and keep them alive(fresh) until you are ready to take them in and store or use them. Basically to delay the "decay to rot" stage that exists with the current setup rather than to remove it. Take the fish off the hooks and place them in something that keeps them alive for a couple of days then they go to spoiling.

The idea is to have a specialized container that resets the fish to max freshness which is 2 1/2 days if I remember correctly, currently the only way to get that effect is to fillet the fish. A fish that's 99% spoiled can be turned into a fillet that's at max freshness but it's at the cost of satiety. I don't know the logistics of the coding needed to make a container that can do that or if it's even possible without removing the spoiling to rot mechanic of the traps and lines. As I said in the original post it was just an idea I had to possibly extend the usefulness of the actual fish in a server setting.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, Papa Cheese said:

Just a couple ideas that have been bouncing around the server I'm on and in my head. The first would be to take a scraped hide and surround it in sticks and/or boards (possibly even some cordage) to make a stretched hide as decoration on walls or as a stand up rack on floors. The other idea comes from me overdoing things in the fishing department and getting anywhere from 30-40 fish per day on a server (most go to composting) but rarely do I find enough of the same kind/freshness to make meals out of anything but fillets. Is there a way to make something like a fish barrel or tank to keep fish fresh for longer like alot of fishermen use when they go out? By the way we all love your mod on our server, it's kept a lot of us from starving in the winter which is fairly often with how often some of us are on. 

P.S. keep up the great work, this is a mod I will always use unless Tyron  incorporates the whole thing into the base coding and then I'll look forward to whatever you decide to do after that.

Hi @Papa Cheese thank you for the kind words and the suggestions.  Sorry for the late reply, I've been feeling overwhelmed of late and quite frankly, not very chatty.  Those are solid ideas and I've been pretty open to adding things that other people have suggested, BUT...I've got no shortage of ideas of what I'd like to implement myself, so I've made my own ideas a priority going forward.  Modding is only a hobby so I've got to really enjoy it if I'm going to keep doing it!

Having said that, I'll gladly tackle any bugs...

On 3/9/2021 at 9:34 AM, Hexedian said:

What about limiting fish types per biome? Arctic char shouldn't spawn in warm biomes, for example.

@Hexedian That's a good idea, and one I've considered myself in the past.  I'm just not sure I'd ever tackle it because I can't help but think that fishing will find it's way into the vanilla game sooner than later.  Having said that, there is another modder that MIGHT be working on a system which would at least allow areas (chunks) to be "fished out", which would be very helpful when it comes to limiting fish overall.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Spear and Fang

Heya! I've been playing vintage story for nary a day or two, and I was messing around in creative mode to test out THE UNSPEAKABLE and after testing based on what you revealed upon Hexedian I have to ask:

Spoiler

Is it a bug that both the Hydra and Dagon statues are activated with Astral gears? I tried using Ethereal Gears on both but only Astral ones work, also is the "portal the size of an X" referring just to the size of the damage aura, and can you increase it further by building a proper little temple with the appropriate blocks, i.e. temporal for Cthulhu etc.

Thanks for making the mod, and I'd be happy to test out more of THE UNSPEAKABLE for you if you add anything else to it.

5 hours ago, Dezdanna said:

Heya! I've been playing vintage story for nary a day or two, and I was messing around in creative mode to test out THE UNSPEAKABLE and after testing based on what you revealed upon Hexedian I have to ask:

Hide contents

Is it a bug that both the Hydra and Dagon statues are activated with Astral gears? I tried using Ethereal Gears on both but only Astral ones work, also is the "portal the size of an X" referring just to the size of the damage aura, and can you increase it further by building a proper little temple with the appropriate blocks, i.e. temporal for Cthulhu etc.

Thanks for making the mod, and I'd be happy to test out more of THE UNSPEAKABLE for you if you add anything else to it.

Hi Dezdanna,

Spoiler

That is not a bug, no.  Since Hydra and Dagon are companions in the lore, they share the same behavior (at least with respect to the "basic" altars that you've built.)  The damage aura can only be increased to 4 (the amount of gears that the cube will receive).  I've added several related blocks (in creative only) iwith the intention of using them to worldgen in some temples (or partially destroyed temples) which would then provide  (1) more items to extend the behaviors of the altars (delivering them all via fishing was starting to annoy me), and (2) a template for how to build actual full blown temples (to house these altars) with more powerful and unique behaviors.

Sadly, that's about as far as I've gotten with all of that.  I have no shortage of ideas about how I'd like to proceed, but have been distracted by (1) simpler, more accessible items (2) fixing bugs (3) creating new bugs :) (4) how few people were actually able to figure out even the basic altars, and (5) the degree of difficulty in extending the unspeakable.  

Not sure when/if I'll get back to the unspeakable side of things any time soon.  :(

Thanks for you interest in the mod!

Edited by Spear and Fang

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.