[Merged]Travelling Merchants

jakecool19

This mod is now a part of Useful Stuff. You must download Useful Stuff to get the welcome mat for VS 1.16+

Feeling a little bit lonely around the base? Wish someone would come and visit sometime? This is a very simple mod allows you to create inns for travelling merchants. In order to create an inn, you need to craft a welcome mat and place it in an area without another mat nearby. You will need a bed close to the welcome mat, as well as a container with food in it for your guests. They will not take cooked meals like porridge, but will eat things like bread, cooked meat, and other simple foods. (They will eat honey AND take the bowl for themselves.) Merchants can be any of the type of traders found in game. They come every 3-4 days and stay for 1 day. You cannot place any block above the mat or it will break. If your guests enjoyed their stay they will even leave you a little gift for your hospitality. Drifters will hunt and kill traders now, and dead guests do not leave gifts!

Pictures

Spoiler

2021-01-01_22-15-40.png.8c65e2c1726728056c943781f08add93.png

Let me know of any bugs or feedback you may have. Have fun being innkeeper!

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/49

Disclaimer: Please post any bug reports, suggestions, and feedback on the forum page of this mod. Anywhere else, such as Discord, will be ignored!

Edited by jakecool19
v0.95
  • Like 3
  • Amazing! 2
  • Mind=blown 1

11 hours ago, Aleksandr Urbanovic said:

i have a problem with this mod, i cant craft a welcome mat , i can find it on recipes, but just cant craft it. I've tried to do it without any mods , on server, on single player creative mode, nothing helped.

I just released an update so that instead of requiring linen, it will require 4 twine instead. Can you let me know if it works?

1 hour ago, jakecool19 said:

I just released an update so that instead of requiring linen, it will require 4 twine instead. Can you let me know if it works?

ok cool i will try , and i found one more bug . Mat doesn't work if you build inn with windows. And it would be cool if we could build bigger buildings, not only 7x7x7, or we can ? and the problem was only in windows ? :D

3 hours ago, Aleksandr Urbanovic said:

ok cool i will try , and i found one more bug . Mat doesn't work if you build inn with windows. And it would be cool if we could build bigger buildings, not only 7x7x7, or we can ? and the problem was only in windows ? :D

The mat requires a completely enclosed space, so if your windows are open blocks it will not work. That being said, there seems to be a bug in 1.14.3 with the room registry system that if you have an open door in the room it will not count as an enclosed space. I have reported it to the bug report section so hopefully it can be fixed soon if it is not something on my end. Also since I am using the vanilla room registry system the maximum size on a room is 7x7x8 for performance reasons. Likewise, this mod does a lot of expensive calculations, so it would probably get very laggy if it got much bigger. Though only the space inside has to be 7x7x8 so you can have a small guest room inside a massive mansion/castle. Depending on how fast they can patch it out I might release a mod with the enclose requirement in the meantime.

5 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Any chance we can get a version without the garish 'HELLO' on it?

What do you have in mind? My art skills are...basic to say the least so I am limited in that regard on what I can do😅. Would it being more brown and less noticeable help?

1 hour ago, jakecool19 said:

The mat requires a completely enclosed space, so if your windows are open blocks it will not work. That being said, there seems to be a bug in 1.14.3 with the room registry system that if you have an open door in the room it will not count as an enclosed space. I have reported it to the bug report section so hopefully it can be fixed soon if it is not something on my end. Also since I am using the vanilla room registry system the maximum size on a room is 7x7x8 for performance reasons. Likewise, this mod does a lot of expensive calculations, so it would probably get very laggy if it got much bigger. Though only the space inside has to be 7x7x8 so you can have a small guest room inside a massive mansion/castle. Depending on how fast they can patch it out I might release a mod with the enclose requirement in the meantime.

What do you have in mind? My art skills are...basic to say the least so I am limited in that regard on what I can do😅. Would it being more brown and less noticeable help?

Window i mean - leaded glass pane. If i put them on building  - mod doesn't work.

4 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

The regular rug looks great! I just think the big red HELLO is ugly. My welcome mats in real life don't have words on them because I think it's silly. 😛 

I have changed it to the regular rug texture.

3 hours ago, Aleksandr Urbanovic said:

Window i mean - leaded glass pane. If i put them on building  - mod doesn't work.

I have gotten in contact with the developers, seems like they have upgraded the room registry from just a block search to something like a collision box search, so any type of open space like an open door, half slab, etc will count as an exit. So for now I have removed the building requirement so the space can be as large as you want😄. HOWEVER you still need to make sure the bed and food container is nearby and you cannot place mats too close to each other. Also to discourage players from just putting their merchants in the freezing cold, drifters will now hunt and kill traders just like they do players. And dead guests will not give you gifts.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, LOVE-INJECTION said:

the new version really hates this mod. the merchants despawn right in front of you, become "dead" when they are still walking around, and they always take the things you sell them without giving you gears!

New version? Do you mean the stable 1.14.7 or the 1.14.8 release candidate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CJHKnight2 said:

@jakecool19 Was just wondering if you could add to have the Merchants take money from ZigTheHedge's TradeOMat mod ? Personally, I never liked gears as a monetary system.

Thanks!!

You can open up the mod and in assets/merchant/blocktypes/welcomemat there should be an array called gifts. You can add any item or block you want, and when it comes time to pay the merchant will choose an item randomly from that list.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.