Official Mod Database

Tyron

Hey modders,

In order to further support your modding efforts I've begun work on an official mod database that is tailor-made for uploading and downloading mods. A rudimentary version of it is now online at https://mods.vintagestory.at

In the very near future I will develop an API for this site that directly integrates your mods into the client. Ideally we'd want players to connect to modded servers and auto-install all required mods with the press of a button.

Happy modding!

• Like 8
  • Amazing! 4
  • Mind=blown 3
  • Thanks 7

• Tyron pinned this topic
21 hours ago, Tyron said:

Hey modders,

In order to further support your modding efforts I've begun work on an official mod database that is tailor-made for uploading and downloading mods. A rudimentary version of it is now online at https://mods.vintagestory.at

In the very near future I will develop an API for this site that directly integrates your mods into the client. Ideally we'd want players to connect to modded servers and auto-install all required mods with the press of a button.

Happy modding!

I always wonder why are you guys so awesome... we don't deserve you guys! I hope you are well, WE all hope you guys are well ! Thank you, from ALL the  VS community! 

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice to have something that tracks successful launches vs. crashes and errors for a mod with different versions of VS. 

So if the game launches successfully, it sends a signal to moddb with the version number and a list of active mods and moddb increments the launch counter for each active mod for that version of VS.  When it fails, do the same thing with a fail counter instead.

It would help pin down problematic mods.  With a bit more complex setup, you could also find which mods are incompatible with each other.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2021 at 1:05 AM, l33tmaan said:

We don't need downvoting mods, but upvotes are fine.

Yeah now that I think about it, it might be nice but I think downvoting (or low rating) is a good way to show that a mod causes issues without someone having to suffer from finding out the hard way. Either way, we really need a way to rate mods.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to have better integration with the forum: I'm finding it a bit tedious to create both a mod and a forum post, then edit the mod with the forum post's url, and try to remember to keep both pages updated.

I prefer the forum for discussion (upvotes and email subscriptions, etc.) and the Mod Database for hosting and release tracking.

Would it be possible to automatically create a forum post for each mod and embed the forum page in an iframe or something?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, goxmeor said:

I'm finding it a bit tedious to create both a mod and a forum post, then edit the mod with the forum post's url, and try to remember to keep both pages updated.

I prefer the forum for discussion (upvotes and email subscriptions, etc.) and the Mod Database for hosting and release tracking.

The idea is that the mod db is going to replace the functionality that the forums once provided for mod releases.

Some have been asking for a review system. Here's some of the issues with current review systems in use.

"Too Much of a Good Thing—Overly Positive Online Ratings—Makes for Difficult Decisions - By Evan Nesterak - Behavioral Scientist" https://behavioralscientist.org/too-much-of-a-good-thing-overly-positive-online-ratings-makes-for-difficult-decisions/

• Mind=blown 1

1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

I hope it has more functionality of the forums, then. The current comment-based format isn't entirely appropriate for long-form discussion.

Eventually. Right now the focus is on game development but once the focus comes back to the DB there will definitely be a review of suggested features.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, l33tmaan said:

Isn't that what the All Mods page defaults to?

Sorry. Didn't notice this. For like a long time.

Not what I meant. The thumb shows a graphic, the name, the number of downloads, the number of comments, the author, and the tag list. I would vastly prefer the date it was last updated instead of, say, the number of comments. I don't play as often as I'd like, so when something piques my interest, I have to go to the mods folder and see when I last downloaded anything, then go to the files tab on ModDB to see when the last update was. Whereas if I knew I only needed to look back to July 18th,  I wouldn't have to open one and go to the Files tab now and again to see if I've gone back far enough. The date would be right there on that page.

Unrelated, is the plan to integrate the game to the ModDB more completely? For example, minetest has (or did as of maybe 6 months ago when I last looked) a pretty good mod browser in the game launcher. Not only can you find new mods, you are informed of any that have updates and a single click to update all. Stardew Valley had a mod that similarly informed you of updates, and let you update one at a time, IIRC.

• Tyron changed the title to Official Mod Database
  • 7 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.