The Night time is far too dark

DarthDraken

The night is pitch black like your in a sealed box. I can understand in caves and the like but right now its ridiculous to have pitch black on the surface when the stars are out and the moon is too.

Yes its night and yes its dark at night but the human eye can still pick up details at night with like reflecting form the moon and the like. but you cant even see your hand in front of your face and your missing out on some awesome atmospheric opportunities for night fun. and when you die that's it your stuck until daytime.

• Like 2

Same. Some nights are very dark and others are about bright enough to walk around without a light source.

You can also adjust your graphics settings in the game so that "dark" is less dark.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

7 hours ago, DarthDraken said:

Yes its night and yes its dark at night but the human eye can still pick up details at night with like reflecting form the moon and the like. but you cant even see your hand in front of your face and your missing out on some awesome atmospheric opportunities for night fun. and when you die that's it your stuck until daytime.

That strongly depends on weather, surroundings and several other factors. Most seem to be rather blind in the dark needing some lightsource, while others (like me) see good in the dark but get blinded easily even by normal amounts of daylight... But these experiences are not necessarily applicable for the game as the player characters are not human.

But you can change the gamma settings to have less dark nights, and it could be a screen issue too, depending on which screen i play i have to adjust that setting for the graphics to look good.

I think it's perfect feature cos VS is about realism. It depends on many factors as Hal13 has said. And I like it a lot. Isn't it amazing to crawl through dense forest, to hear wolves howl and to not to know what direction from they'll attack you ? 😉

• Like 1

I almost didn't get into Vintage Story for this reason exactly. For some reason whenever we set up the server it would start the world at night. It was too dark to play, and it didn't matter how I tweaked my settings. 

Not knowing anything about the game, and having to wait 20 minutes before being able to do anything was very discouraging, we gave up on it and I had no real incline to try it out again. A week later we decided to give it another shot, In the end I just looked up a command to set it to daytime. 

I don't mind it being pitch black. In rust, that was an exciting part of the game. But in Rust you also start out with a torch. 

Edited by Mikel Monleón
  • Like 1

You used to start VS with a torch, but that was removed a while back. But you are not meant to start at night - I think that must be a bug. It should always be morning when you start, giving you plenty of time to get your first light source. If your server starts you at night, it's perfectly valid to just use a command to set it to day.

My concern, however, is eyestrain. If I play the game for more than an hour or so I get terrible headaches because I'm constantly straining to see details in the dim lighting, even during the day. Turning up the gamma doesn't really help, it just makes it look washed out. In previous versions the lighting was much brighter and it was easier to see, but that was changed in favor of gritty realism. I hope in the future we can get some good options for lighting in each world, so those of us with various degrees of visual impairment can enjoy the game fully.

• 1 month later...

Until the game changes or I can find a mod to fix the darkness of night I won't be able to play this. Two saves I have died because by nighttime I can't see anything, no torch, little or no food yet, and I am literally just standing dying in a field from starvation because I can't see anything. 

I like that the game is more realistic...but I dont want to waste 20 minutes staring at a black screen. 

• 3 weeks later...

They should definitely make it so that all your torches don't go out when you fall in water. It can be such a game ender when you fall down a pit into water and you forgot to split your stack of torches. 

Frankly I like the darkness, makes it exciting. But perhaps only have complete darkness during cloudy nights. 

• 2 years later...

Note that you can easily craft a bed on day one, before even midday. You just need to cut 18 (IIRC) grass with your first stone knife.

Doesn't change the fact that nights can get pretty dark, I know. But not having a bed is not an argument, because it's easier and faster to make on average than your first reed basket.

An extra note: if you play on world heights greater than 256, you'll have additional issues with visibility, which may impact your impression of how dark nights can get. Reason being: VS adds additional inclement weather fog based on altitude above sea level. Unfortunately, that function isn't aware of the world height at all, and just assumes the sea level as it would be in a 256-high world.

So the taller your world is, the greater the chance that active rainfall will ruin your visibility, and the less rainfall is needed to make it get really bad. In my 384-high world, and some 25 blocks above sea level, at 100% precipitation I couldn't see the opposite wall of my home. While indoors during the day, mind you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.