New wind mechanic in 1.15

DArkHekRoMaNT

It is very inconvenient to build something high in windy regions. It is impossible to move with Shift, because the same wind effect is applied to the player with Shift as the player without Shift. The same problem exists when moving in heavy armor. You are heavier, but you fly away like a feather 😦 Can you do something about it? For example, the effect of the wind may depend on the player's speed.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Pluffy said:

"Can now disable wind affected player and creature movement via /worldconfigcreate bool windAffectedEntityMovement false"

This may not be exactly what you want, but this was posted recently.

The mechanics are good, but it seems to me that it can be improved. I know that you can turn it off. But, for example, I cannot turn it off on TOPTS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I turned it off after a minute or two. It's just annoying being pushed around and losing control over your movement. If there are people who have fun with stuff like that, I'd definitely recommend putting it in a mod or adding an option to turn it on in the settings or a command for that instead of the other way around. Especially newbies might be too annoyed by it and not know that there is a command to get rid of it. Please don't add too much stuff to the game that people have to know how to turn off or change in the settings or with commands, or avoid in the game.

• Wolf Bait 1

I thought that my game was glitching when I first encountered wind pushing me around. I couldn't understand why it was such a struggle moving in a certain direction. I restarted the game and it was fine, so I thought it was a bug. I'm happy that there's an option to disable it, but I do wonder why wind should affect a player in such a way.

• Wolf Bait 1

I'm revisiting this topic after playing a while in 1.15, the server i play upgraded.

As it's multiplayer, i cannot disable this mechanic. I've been building quite a big castle, working very high up near the build limit. If I shift, the wind will push me backwards easily where i am just barely hanging onto a ledge. When I walk without shift, the wind pushes me at an angle and i fall off my build often and die. It is a far more annoying experience than I have anticipated. I am astounded such a mechanic was added to the game at all. I can understand fluffy leaves blowing around on a windy day, but an armored me shouldn't be affected at all lest there be some sort of major storm. 

• Like 4

I wanted to give it a try when i noticed it in the game even if i found it a little annoying. It haven't grown on me. Sure, even a gale can be pretty hard to walk straight in but the thing is the wind effects you even down in holes or in a trench. I guess winds are hard to program any other way. The only way i can think about, without making it too complicated is to make strong winds appear as a squall in windy regions and than move in the wind direction, like an invisible cloud - but moving much faster. If they hit something - a tree, a wall or the ground they die. (sure irl they can change direction and move around objects but it weakens it's strenght and this is going to be way to complex to calculate and take a lot of power from the performance) They could die by themself after let's say 5000 blocks, don't know what would work. That would open up for a future mechanic where the winds can effect the blocks they hit. tearing down trees - lifting roof tiles and so on. Don't know if this can be done though.

Edited by Fredrik Blomquist
adding a little
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 10:38 AM, l33tmaan said:

If I had to guess, it was something that's easy and quick to throw in.

Could have spent that time doing some other quick and easy feature that would be more appreciated (like an initial quick, easy tool repair mechanic?)

• Like 2

As it is, it's really not a good effect. In any first-person game, pressing forward should always make you go forward. Never slightly off to one side or the other. That's instant motion sickness.

One way this could be improved is to remove the part that changes a player's movement direction, leaving only the part that changes their speed *based* on direction. So if you're trying to move into the wind, you might struggle a bit, and you might go a little faster running with the wind. That much already works. The main issue is when moving *across* the wind. You should never push "forward" and not go forward.

So instead of adding a "wind vector" to the player's "movement vector" which it seems to be doing now, take the dot product of the wind vector and movement vector, add some value greater than one to it, scale the result a bit, and multiply that result into the movement vector component-wise.

Edited by mossy
  • Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.