Crocks in Storage Vessels

Garjouan

Heyo,

I am sure this was asked time and again, but the search function didn't come up with anything, neither did the wiki.

Do the storage bonuses for crocks and storage vessels add up? Do I gain any benefit from storing crocks with food in storage vessels?

For whatever reason placing crock pots alone or in fours in my cellar didn't display the right tool tip to check (the one displaying when the food will spoil).

~Cheers

My understanding is that crocks in storage vessels and on shelves have the same overall spoilage timers. Placing crocks on the floor or a table, however, will spoil more quickly as they don't double dip the spoilage reduction like the first two methods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

I don't think there's any additional benefit to putting crocks in a vessel.  I think their primary spoilage is determined by presence in a cellar and whether it is sealed.

There is.

Any storage container (chest, vessel, etc) or shelf will apply its decay rate modifier to the crock. This makes for the rather awkward situation of a crock on a table spoiling 4x as fast as a crock on a shelf, but it's how the game works currently.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit confused about crocks spoilage modifiers as well.
I have a meal in a cooking pot which is in a vessel in a closed up cellar. It says "fresh for 20 days".
When I put the meal in a crock though and then that crock in the vessel it says "fresh for 12 days".
So where is the advantage of the crock?

7 hours ago, 0m1k said:

So where is the advantage of the crock?

The crock can be sealed, drastically increasing its shelf life.

Additionally - though I haven't checked in a while - crocks can be placed in groups of eight on a single shelf, four on each level, while cooking pots could not.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Streetwind said:

The crock can be sealed, drastically increasing its shelf life.

Ok, so the crock on its own doesn't give a benefit - only when it is sealed? The survival handbook makes it sound like it already gives a slight benefit even when unsealed …

On 1/27/2024 at 5:21 PM, 0m1k said:

Ok, so the crock on its own doesn't give a benefit - only when it is sealed? The survival handbook makes it sound like it already gives a slight benefit even when unsealed …

its an order of magitude thing.  the crock without sealing does gain a 'slight' benefit.  sealing and stowing in a fully enclosed room (no outside light enters, any openings allowed are doors).  should be a floating help message (unless turned off) that lets you know to what degree something will last/spoil when using the container..

• Thanks 1

I think what puzzled me was the fact that when putting the crock (unsealed) in a storage vessel the benefit of the storage vessel is not put on top of the crock's benefit. And I was expecting that. [Edit:] (compared to a meal in a cooking pot in a storage vessel - which also surprisingly had more benefit than the unsealed crock)

Edited by 0m1k

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.