1.17 altering existing game coordinates?

SaltySpecula
Go to solution Solved by Robert Johnson,

After loading my 1.16.x world up in 1.17, blocks are now referred to with different coordinates. For example, my previous spawn position yesterday before updating to 1.17 had the coordinates 0, 118, 0. In 1.17 today however, standing in the same exact spot, that block now has the coordinates 65, 118, -63.

I wasn't aware if this alteration to the coordinate system was intentional or not so not reporting it as a bug yet. Is this intentional?

EDIT: Also, why does the player character now sound like a harmonica when being damaged? <_<

Edited by SaltySpecula

I don't know about the coordinates, but the player voice is an intended change which is mentioned in the changelog.

A while ago, new seraph voices were introduced, based on musical instruments in the same style as Don't Starve. Tyron wasn't fully happy with them then, so they remained optional (you had to intentionally opt into them). Now, a few updates later, they have improved to the point where Tyron is satisfied, and so he has enabled them by default.

You can change your seraph's voice "instrument" in the character editor.

• Solution

In Regards to Unexplained Coordinate Changes

I've noted this inexplicable change in coordinates a few years back in a comment on a post on here as well. Here is that thread:

I've noticed it happen literally every time I leave and go back into the game. I originally had set up a prospecting grid of every 50 blocks using the coordinate display in game. So one at 0,0, one at 50,50, 50.-50, -50,50, and -50,-50, etc. Then I did the 100s, 150s, 200s, and so forth. I bet you can guess what happened to this carefully planned idea once I had begun to execute it in the world but then left and came back to the game the next day. Yep, all my coordinates were off by anywhere from 1-100 and nothing lined up as it should, essentially breaking my ability to create my planned prospecting grid. I had to change how I was doing it and ultimately resorted to using the '.debug wireframe chunk' command to setup a chunk-based prospecting pick grid where I marked the corners of every chunk with a cross of blocks and prospected in the exact five blocks at the center of each chunk instead.

I've noticed this happen with my macros I had for teleporting back to my house as well. I'll set up the macro, and it will work fine until I log out and log back into the game. The coordinates, which were correct and worked just fine minutes before now would teleport me to the same coordinates, but at a different location in proximity to my base. So, I would change my macro, but once I left and came back it was inaccurate once again.

In Regards to New Seraph Voices

The player character now sounds like a harmonica due to what seems like the permanent addition of musical instrument sounds as your avatar's 'voice', with six or seven different ones to choose from at character creation. My guess as to why yours sounds like a harmonica is that is the default instrument sound? Can Tyron or anyone who knows the game better confirm this?

EDIT: Apparently all Seraph avatar traits are randomized at the beginning. But does that also apply to seraphs that had been created already when the change took place? Not sure.

Edited by Robert Johnson
Expansion, Clarity
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert Johnson said:

My guess as to why yours sounds like a harmonica is that is the default instrument sound?

I've noticed that character customization is randomized, so hair style, skin color, etc AND seraph voice are all random when you start a new world.

23 hours ago, Robert Johnson said:

EDIT: Apparently all Seraph avatar traits are randomized at the beginning. But does that also apply to seraphs that had been created already when the change took place? Not sure.

Yes, it does apply to older worlds, because the new voices have existed since 1.15. They were just hidden behind an opt-in toggle in the settings menu until now.

As for worlds from 1.14 or before? No idea, admittedly.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.