Hay sooooo temporal storm spawns.........

Vinnie Crawford

You build a kill box!

At first, we felt helpless, made tens of flint spears, stashed inventory, and ran around during storms dying over and over. Run away, kite, throw a few spears, run away, pick up spears all over. Our base was near spawn so we would just run back upon death and try to kill enough drifters to harvest a couple of blue gears.

Then we read a few Streetwind things and built a panic room (kill pit), essentially a 5x5 room above a 7x7 water pit, flowing water around the perimeter pushing drifters (who walk up to the room and fall in) to the center of the pit, where we spear them from above through a hole in the middle of the 3x3 floor. There is no way to climb up. 

Infrequently something gets into the panic room, I would say we've been surprised to find a single drifter show up in there about 1/10 of the storms, and only since 1.18. Our particular design (which is evolved for our own laziness) might let them climb up?

We had to do the spear & kite, run & gun for quite a while.  The breakthrough item for turning storms into a far lesser threat is the copper saw, which lets you make buckets (to get & place the water that controls the drifters), and also doors on the kill pit so you can run back in if you fall into the hole (which can happen if you aren't crouching). 

Temporal storms have become another farming task. Going into deep holes is still pretty tough. 

Edited by Cranching

15 hours ago, Cranching said:

The breakthrough item for turning storms into a far lesser threat is the copper saw, which lets you make buckets (to get & place the water that controls the drifters)

Don't even need that. It's easy to find a pond that's at least 7x7, place blocks around that, sop up everything you want to become flowing water with blocks of some sort, then remove them.  And a single fence post in your kill room above that hole in the floor will keep you from falling in. Though it used to be better to sit on the edge anyway. Might still be. It would be an easy build for morning of day 1.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the fence post note, will try. It never occurred to me to use an existing pond. Nor have I tried sitting (didn't know you could spear while sitting). Thanks! 

We use a slab at 1.5 - 2 blocks height next to the kill center to harvest drifters throughout the storm (else some disappear at the end). A good heavy storm sometimes returns 5-6 blue gears, 15+ brown gears, 30+ flax. Will try it with the fence post!

I hope the folks finding storms lethal can see that once they build the right trap, they are a harvesting opportunity, instead! 

Edited by Cranching

Additionally, drifters have a difficult time attacking downward through half blocks.  So you can set up a kill pit where drifters are collected, the floor composed of vertical slabs with a space underneath for you to attack them through.  To my understanding it is safe from drifter attack.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cranching said:

We use a slab at 1.5 - 2 blocks height next to the kill center to harvest drifters throughout the storm (else some disappear at the end).

Used to be that sitting gave you enough reach to harvest loot from the dead drifters 2 full blocks down, much like what I think you are accomplishing with the slab. Don't know if that's still the case. Haven't bothered to check.

If @Streetwind is correct that ladders stop spawns in that block, putting ladders on top block of each corner and on the lower block of each side, and running the fencepost to the ceiling would absolutely prevent any spawns in your kill box.

[EDIT]

I also suspect that you could make the trap just a bit bigger so the center block is dry, and you being resourceful think this would be an ideal place to fire some pottery during the storm. You wouldn't need any spears, just a knife.

[/EDIT] 

Edited by Thorfinn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For holing up in a base, I would just dig a moat with a chokepoint bridge (perferably made out of trapdoors since drifters think theyre solid even when theyre up, which means easy drifter moat fodder for the morning harvest of delicious temporal gears) with a one block tall fence both behind and in front of the moat if youre REALLY keen on pest control and dont need temporal gears (lucky you).  Then make sure my bedroom or panic room is small enough to where my character's no enemy spawn radius covers it all (unless stormy drifters ignore that too in which case ive been EXTREMELY lucky so far lol), i think mine is about a 7 or 8 x 5 x4 space or something.

Out in the open world, I just run.  I NEVER leave home without at least three days worth of food and i usually forage and keep a stack of fresh fruit while im out, too, so hunger is never a problem.

If I have armor and poultices at that point in the game I, as has been suggested already, put on 'DOOM Eternal OST - The Only Thing They Fear Is You (Extended Intro).m4a' and farm the entire storm.

I would suggest farming out in a flat area if you can.  Dont want any Difters falling down from the hill tops and don't wanna get ganked climbing hills or running through and getting caught up on undergrowth.  Always have an escape route, keep moving and only stand still to aim and shoot/throw, don't hesitate or panic, dont get backed up against a wall, ect., ect.  If you can, keep a flattened plain or desert nearby your base for storm farmin'. 

Mid to late game temporal storms become a blessing rather than a curse.

On 4/28/2023 at 6:30 AM, Bastez said:

I think this is the worst feature of the entire game.

I like the jeopardy of having to get home quick when a storm approaches and not being able to go outside without risk while a storm is happening. I also like the temporal stability mechanic in general and the risk of going deeper underground but having to wall yourself into a tiny space and just wait for hours is rubbish, especially early game when you might not have been fortunate enough to get tooled up to fight drifters. It seems especially unfair if playing in a true permadeath survival mode when time is always at a premium. I know you have the 'sleep through storms' option but again that's eating up time and doesn't make any sense - if I go to sleep drifters won't spawn in my base but if I stay awake and 'keep guard' they will!

The perfect solution for me would be an option for drifters in temporal storms to respect spawn rules based solely on light level ie they wouldn't spawn in an enclosed area provided it was sufficiently well lit. This would work if you were far from home and had to dig a quick underground shelter and light it. Yes you'd still be deprived of useful hours but that in that case it would make sense as you've been caught away from home and are in an emergency shelter.

This business of putting down half slabs and/or walling yourself up just seems a bad idea so I always play with temporal storms turned off now - a shame as it does make the game somewhat tamer.

Everyone has their own preferences and opinions but the temporal storm spawning mechanic knocks a whole chunk of enjoyment off the game for me.

This is how I stay productive during a Temporal Storm. Make a Well once you have a Bucket. Get one Block of Dirt, a Gold Pan, and as many 64 Stacks of Gravel as you can carry. Go sit in the Well. Put the Block of Dirt above your Head, and then surround yourself with Gravel Blocks. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.