Bears climb ladders

Mustatruv

It's what they do. In the game. I thought I was safe on the roof, only to see the bear doing the same as me: scurrying up the rope ladder, running animation and all. The bear neatly climbs down if I get out the front door. Maybe bears shouldn't be able to use the ladders, as they also don't ring the bell or knock the door. Or add a circus as a feature, so I can fit Misha a tutu and let it ride a bicycle. 😜

Misha are you proud of yourself.png

• Haha 4

I've seen wolves climb a ladder, too. I guess it's more believable with a bear since they are naturally strong climbers, but it's a video game. I'd rather not have the animals climbing ladders. I've found though that spacing the ladders out by 1 block makes it much more difficult for animals and drifters to climb. 

39 minutes ago, Rhyagelle said:

I've found though that spacing the ladders out by 1 block makes it much more difficult for animals and drifters to climb. 

I wonder if that would be true for bears? Since they can 'climb' a taller wall than the others, I'm thinking that a 1 block spacing might not affect them. I'd be curious to know!

Edited by dakko

35 minutes ago, dakko said:

I wonder if that would be true for bears? Since they can 'climb' a taller wall than the others, I'm thinking that a 1 block spacing might not affect them. I'd be curious to know!

They will still end up climbing it, but it'll be a little more difficult, meaning that they shouldn't speed up the thing like Speedy Gonzales. It's definitely not a sure fire way of preventing them from climbing, especially since they jump like the Hulk. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, LJim said:

For bears, you just need to put the first ladder two blocks up from the ground.

Thanks! I've always been a little hesitant to bring the ladder down because playing permadeath, it wasn't worth the risk. So you are saying if I leave the first two blocks of the cliff empty, and a ladder on the 3rd, that's bear proof? That would be a heck of a lot easier of a jump to make. Almost not missable.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Thanks! I've always been a little hesitant to bring the ladder down because playing permadeath, it wasn't worth the risk. So you are saying if I leave the first two blocks of the cliff empty, and a ladder on the 3rd, that's bear proof? That would be a heck of a lot easier of a jump to make. Almost not missable.

Yup, tried and tested. Works every time. Then just grab your weapons and poke it to death :P

EDIT: But! When jumping up to reach the ladder, make sure you are not standing next the wall, otherwise you are going to hit the "bottom" of the ladder and fail to grab on to it. I died a few times because of that.

Edited by LJim
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 7:07 AM, Rhyagelle said:

I've seen wolves climb a ladder, too. I guess it's more believable with a bear since they are naturally strong climbers, but it's a video game. I'd rather not have the animals climbing ladders. I've found though that spacing the ladders out by 1 block makes it much more difficult for animals and drifters to climb. 

Was chased up a ladder by an angry ram that I was trying to corral so he wouldn't die to the local fauna.  I had a two high fence opposite the gate we ran through, jumped on the ladder to scramble over the fence to close the gate and was shocked when the ram helped me over the top of the fence to give me a piece of his mind about the rock I had pitched at him a couple kliks back.  

• Haha 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.