Bug: Digging up farmland drops no dirt.

Dilan Rona

Is there a way to turn it back into soil? (maybe it should convert to low fertility soil always instead of dropping nothing?)

I wanted to replace it because I moved my farm, but had to go digging for more dirt to fill the hole xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 4:04 AM, ifoz said:

It's an intentional feature so that you can't just reset all your soil and instead have to wait for the nutrients to replenish.

Alternatively, you can just break the block and replace it with another one. Nutrient problem solved.

• Like 1

I think farmtiles should revert to normal soil tiles if they've fallowed for a while. Like once they've reached their default maximum nutrition storage, after another few weeks or months, they revert back to a regular soil tile. So like after winter you have to till your fields again. This would solve the "I want to move my farm" issues, and give players a reason to keep making hoes. Only real question would be how to handle soil that's had potash applied.

• Like 2

Btw. I can't imagine if I have a 5 stacks of farmland on the fields to dig all out only to reset the fertility. And of course make th e farm land with the hoe again. Show me someone which will do that repeatedly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DejFidOFF said:

Show me someone which will do that repeatedly.

I won't do it the first time. Land is simply not that hard to come by. Though larger plains or even rolling hills of medium fertility seem a little thin on the ground in 1.19. It just doesn't take very long to dig up another 4-5 stacks of medium fertility, particularly if you are simultaneously collecting sidestream flowers for your growing apiary.

10 hours ago, Nisaba said:

So like after winter you have to till your fields again.

Sure, why not?

11 hours ago, Nisaba said:

Only real question would be how to handle soil that's had potash applied.

If you set the standard that you didn't have to hoe stuff that is above its normal value, then if you fertilized in the fall/winter, those plots would not need to be tilled, nor, obviously, the sylvite-enhanced. The longer-term solution is to add wood-ash derived potash, and make all fertilizer values, including sylvite, deplete with crop usage, and restore in fallow only to their normal values.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

The longer-term solution is to add wood-ash derived potash, and make all fertilizer values, including sylvite, deplete with crop usage, and restore in fallow only to their normal values.

Isn't the way it is currently all fertilizers except potash are temporary? I'm not sure I'd be a fan of eliminating the permanent aspect of sylvite. In this scenario, I'd imagine the altered value provided by sylvite would be considered the "normal" maximum value for that tile for fallowing purposes. I suppose the simplest option would be to add a few new soil variants so sylvited fallowed dirt tiles either retain their enhancement when placed and tilled again or also drop a potash when dug up.

And yeah, fertilize in fall/winter to you don't have to till again sounds like an ideal meta.

3 hours ago, Nisaba said:

Isn't the way it is currently all fertilizers except potash are temporary?

Yeah. I suspect the only reason it is permanent is sylvite is so rare, because it makes no sense otherwise. IRL, it would be gone with the first heavy rain, being insanely soluble. Unless I stumble on it while caving, I don't actively seek out halite until late summer, early fall. And even if I did actively prospect, pretty slim chance of finding it while it would still be useful before the second planting.

But say potash were the fraction that didn't get turned to charcoal in your charcoal pit. So you get 4-7 charcoal per block of 32 firewood and 8 (or 7) minus the charcoal yield of ash for that block. Or make it simply 1 per block of firewood. Or a percentage chance of a single piece of ash. Whatever, so long as the rarity ended up about the same as bonemeal, that should be fine. Then it doesn't need to be permanent, and you could be fertilizing your very first crops, rather than just the P crops.

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.