Animal Spawn Conditions?

Ari

Is there anywhere I can find info about the spawn conditions for the different animals? Is it based specifically on biomes (temperature/humidity)? Or on other factors? I remember seeing something about hares spawning on grass blocks with tall grass growing on them. Can that happen anywhere? I'm still fiddling with possibilities for challenging survival scenarios on the new worldgen and I'm trying to see if there's a way to actually survive in a superhot/superarid world. No animals spawn there by default and no edible plants other than cactus fruit - but if I gathered together a lot of soil from ruins and laid it down in a single area, is it possible I could get hares and chickens to spawn there? Or is it truly impossible to survive in these worlds (since even seeds found in loot vessels won't grow fast enough to avoid starvation)?

Here are the spawn conditions in entities/land/hare-male.json

runtime: {
					group: "neutral",
					tryOnlySurface: true,
					chance: 0.002,
					maxQuantity: 3,
					"__comment": "Make them spawn away from artifical light so they don't spawn inside farmland",
					maxLightLevel: 8,
					lightLevelType: "onlyBlockLight",					
					groupSize: { dist: "uniform", avg: 1, var: 3 },
					insideBlockCodes: ["tallgrass-*", "snowlayer-1", "frostedtallgrass-*"],
					minTemp: -5,
					maxTemp: 25,
					minRain: 0.3,
					maxRain: 0.9,
					minForestOrShrubs: 0.25,
					maxForest: 0.75,
					maxShrubs: 0.75,
					companions: ["hare-female-{type}", "hare-baby", "hare-baby"]
				}

As you can see, there's indeed certain climate requirements for them to spawn. When in-game you can look at the climate conditions on where you're standing by typing

/wgen pos climate

...or by using a mod. I think @Novocain made a thing that shows you the rainfall and temperature on the top left corner of the screen. Maybe it was VSHUD?

Great, thanks. Maybe I will mod the hare file (maybe some of the other animals too) for a desert challenge run so they can spawn (at least occasionally) in hotter/drier areas, and make that my strategy for survival: live off cactus fruit while I race around finding soil in ruins, and hope I can get something to spawn soon enough that I can use their meat to keep me going until I can get some seeds to grow... Would be difficult, but maybe possible! Or maybe I'll make the hyenas able to spawn in these areas. Meat, but not nutritious meat, and they will fight back, so it's a proper challenge to obtain... I'm full of ideas now!

• Amazing! 1

Awesome, thanks, that's very helpful! By the way, are there restrictions on weather where the crops can grow as well? I'm messing around in a creative test world and I got some cabbage to grow, but the parsnips wouldn't grow at all even after many game days. They're still at stage 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is it correct that animals are not a limited resource, and that they respawn at random, regardless of existing population (males/females)?

Assuming that is the case, are there any plans to change this by making all animals either non-respawnable, or have it tied to the number of existing population in an area (or some other similar mechanic that might involve climate, food, etc)?

23 minutes ago, whatthepoop said:

Is it correct that animals are not a limited resource, and that they respawn at random, regardless of existing population (males/females)?

Assuming that is the case, are there any plans to change this by making all animals either non-respawnable, or have it tied to the number of existing population in an area (or some other similar mechanic that might involve climate, food, etc)?

i do think they respawn and i also think thats ok. it's not like a single person with a spear can drive the whole wildlife to extinction. and there is also benefits for domestication so breeding your own pigs/sheep/chicken is something you might wanna work on lategame.

1 hour ago, Jeremy McArthur said:

HOW ARE THE RABBITS GETTING IN!?

As Kaelty says, they spawn in grass sprites growing on full blocks (farmland is not a full block).  So you need to have no dirt with grass growing on top in your fields, OR as the top row in walls.  If your walls are made of dirt, they can grow grass on top, and rabbits will be able to spawn on top of the wall.    If you're ok in that regard, then you need to make sure there's nothing adjacent to your fence/wall they can climb on to get over.   And finally, in certain situation if they get bunched up one can actually get 'boosted' over a fence.  To try to avoid inside corners adjacent to field fences if possible.  Or use a trench in addition to a fence.

Ah ha! It must be the bunching thing and I was actually wondering that. If I sit on top of my wall and watch they spawn and slowly walk towards my farm like a tower defense game. So many rabbits! They get it but I have never seen how. No grass anywhere and my walls are rabbit proofed. Annoyingly they went straight after my cabbage and left me only 1 😭 so hard to find... 

Anyways I’ll have to try a trench or something. 

4 hours ago, redram said:

As Kaelty says, they spawn in grass sprites growing on full blocks (farmland is not a full block).  So you need to have no dirt with grass growing on top in your fields, OR as the top row in walls.  If your walls are made of dirt, they can grow grass on top, and rabbits will be able to spawn on top of the wall.    If you're ok in that regard, then you need to make sure there's nothing adjacent to your fence/wall they can climb on to get over.   And finally, in certain situation if they get bunched up one can actually get 'boosted' over a fence.  To try to avoid inside corners adjacent to field fences if possible.  Or use a trench in addition to a fence.

I used cob to top my walls and just replaced with path slabs

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.