Cold food storage

Jeremy Betts

Snow/ice from lakes can be collected and compressed into ice slabs, which you can line a cellar with to keep it cooler and preserve things longer. Needs to be replaced every week or so, perhaps. Perhaps also an icebox/"freezer" which if filled with snow can preserve food for much longer. Carryable like a backpack, for long trips.

• Like 8

• 2 years later...

Honestly it is pretty possible. But it will be resource intensive. (As it was pretty stated that people did use freezing to preserve their meals in the middle ages, but mostly in the northern areas). Something like an Ice Box, or making a cellar dedicated as an "freezer" with winter ice or so.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:51 PM, Thorfinn said:

I don't know. This strikes me as more of a case where it's realism for realism's sake. Maybe I'm just not getting how a change like this would improve the game rather than just another box to check off.

If you play on a multiplayer server, time passes always, whether you are connected or not.  That means every time you log on, odds are good that all your stored food will be rotten.

• Like 1

Yeah, that can be a problem for sure, @Pestilence. I think the solution has to be something more like stuff within land claims only "ages" while that player is logged into the world. Something other than what it is now, anyway. Multi-player is really counter-intuitive. And that's just the beginning of the problem. Assuming the point of multi-player is to form a little community, latecomers have to either be given seeds from existing players or go increasingly far to find wild crops and berry bushes. And, of course, surface copper.

Once you are canning jam and putting grain in your cellar, the dozen or so year shelf life makes that less important. By the time you could implement the ice box, you don't really need it, and because the ice presumably melts through the summer, doesn't solve the problem anyway.

I wish there was away to have world recognize underground like lower areas to either form heat via lava, or ice from water freezing due to lack of light or at least small enclosure recognizing the level of ice or snow as colder than the surface area.

I am not sure if this would be away to make a cold room though. Anyone test this already?

Edit: Zeeka has fridge that uses ice that suppose to work but I am using currently 1.6.3 and mod is for 1.6.0. So I guess someone has figured out how to get storage to stay cold but I can't figure out how to go back to that version.

Edited by DX65
adding words about a fridge I can't use.

• 1 month later...

In a world without refrigerators, an ice cellar would be a very good substitute.
Just like rock salt, which you just don't know where to find, ice has to wait for the water to ice over the winter or be found somewhere else.
My point is that not everyone can salt or cellar with ice.

I know this is not the main point of this topic, but it would be nice if there was an easier way to smoke it.
I wonder if the order of shelf life would be something like this, taking into account storage in a mod.
Ice cellar + salted > ice cellar + smoked > cellar + salted > ice cellar + smoked > ice cellar > cellar > salted only > smoked only > dried > aged > raw

• Mind=blown 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:20 AM, macoto_hino said:

In a world without refrigerators, an ice cellar would be a very good substitute.
Just like rock salt, which you just don't know where to find, ice has to wait for the water to ice over the winter or be found somewhere else.
My point is that not everyone can salt or cellar with ice.

I know this is not the main point of this topic, but it would be nice if there was an easier way to smoke it.
I wonder if the order of shelf life would be something like this, taking into account storage in a mod.
Ice cellar + salted > ice cellar + smoked > cellar + salted > ice cellar + smoked > ice cellar > cellar > salted only > smoked only > dried > aged > raw

Very clever. Of course that just applies to meat/fish. Don't forget that vegetables, fruits and grains also benefit in the cold storage method too.

• Amazing! 1

1 hour ago, setne550 said:

Very clever. Of course that just applies to meat/fish. Don't forget that vegetables, fruits and grains also benefit in the cold storage method too.

Vegetables and grains have more time to decompose than fresh meat, so I didn't think preservation was that important.
Come to think of it, I have never heard of smoking vegetables or grains.
Then again, cellars and ice cellars are important.🤣

2 hours ago, macoto_hino said:

Vegetables and grains have more time to decompose than fresh meat, so I didn't think preservation was that important.
Come to think of it, I have never heard of smoking vegetables or grains.
Then again, cellars and ice cellars are important.🤣

Well from my experience as someone living in a farm, keeping vegetables and grain in good preservation is important so yeah. While they last longer than meat, usually it is much best to keep them "fresh". Although vegetable and fruits do get the benefit of the cold storage, while grains don't even need it, just put them in a cellar and they last really long

• Like 1

I have used this stuff called cellar ice on MoonDrop server, the only thing it sucks is it disappears and if you're in place that is hot and far away from any glacier ice its a hassle to keep a supply of it. Plus if you put it on certain way it injures your avatar.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.