VSProspectorInfo - conveniently store prospecting pick results directly in your map data

Capsup

Abandoned by author. No further support.

VSProspectorInfo

This mod takes the results from your prospecting pick attempts and stores the results automatically, on the appropriate chunk in the world map. This makes it a lot easier to dig for local peaks of ores, generally just prospecting whenever you're out spelunking and gives you visual aid as to where you have prospected before.

I recommend you to read more at the moddb instead: https://mods.vintagestory.at/vsprospectorinfo

This mod is a fork of P3t3rix's original mod, ProspectorInfo, from here, so all credit to him for the original idea of the mod and the original code! I merely forked it, fixed it for v1.14.2 and added some new features.

The mod is purely client-side, and will not require the server to have it installed, but neither will any data be shared with others. Don't install on a server.

Features

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f524241474242672e706e67.png.cd39d898c58ca43030b6bc4a5db42351.png

• Parse, save and load prospecting pick data, per chunk
  • Toggleable visual aid on the world map, of which chunks you have data for

Installation

1. Download the zip package for the latest release here: https://gitlab.com/vsmods-public/vsprospectorinfo/-/releases
  2. Drop the zip directly into %appdata%\VintageStoryData\Mods (or where ever your VS data is installed to)
  3. Don't extract it
  4. Make sure you do not have the old vsprospectorinfo (or prospectorinfo) installed

Commands

• .pi - main command for the mod and the default sub-command is to 'showoverlay', which will toggle the rendering of the texture on the map
  • .pi showoverlay [true,false] - Sending no arguments will simply toggle the value of the RenderTexturesOnMap config option. Sending either true or false, will set the config option to the appropriate value
  • .pi setcolor [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] - Set's the value of the TextureColor field in the config & rebuilds the texture.
  • .pi setbordercolor [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] - Set's the value of the BorderColor field in the config & rebuilds the texture.
  • .pi setborderthickness [number] - Set the BorderThickness value in the config & rebuilds the texture.
  • .pi toggleborder [true,false] - Set's the `RenderBorder` value in the config & rebuilds the texture.

Configuration

• TextureColor [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] - The default color to use for the texture. Default: 7 52 91 50
  • BorderColor [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] [0-255] - The default color to use for the border texture. Default: 0 0 0 200
  • BorderThickness [number] - The thickness, in pixels, of the border color. Default: 1
  • RenderBorder [true,false] - Whether or not to render the border at all. Default: true
  • AutoToggle [true,false] - Whether or not to toggle the texture on map automatically, based on the player equipping/unequipping a prospecting pick. Default: true

Usage

Whenever you finish prospecting a chunk, the data is saved into the ModData folder and added to the chunk info of the world map. This is just a 1:1 parsing of the chat message that the prospecting pick sends. 

The mod renders a transparent square of all chunks that have been prospected. If a chunk is re-prospected, the message is simply overwritten. The rendering of these squares can be toggled with the .pi command.

Contribute

Want more awesome Vintage Story content? Help me spend more time developing mods than enterprise software, by becoming a patron or donating straight to paypal!

Prospecting mini-guide

All you gotta do for prospecting is find the ‘local peak’ of whatever ore you’re trying to find. Run around the world and start prospecting each chunk until you get like a reading of Medium or above, then you can begin finding the local peak. Propick once, if nothing, skip like 5 chunks.

Use `.debug wireframe chunk` to visualize chunk borders, so you always stand in the middle of a chunk to do it, so the distance between your propick attempts are consistent. Remember that only the first block destroyed matters, the two other do literally nothing besides making it a non-trivial task to propick.

It shouldn't take very long to find the local peak if you propick once in a chunk, then go 1 chunk in each cardinal direction from the same chunk and propick again. Then keep going like that, until you find the local peak. 
As long as you do it once per chunk (and save data with mod or bookmark), you will very quickly see the pattern of the ore map. Then you just have to continuously walk in the direction in which the concentration of ore increases, to quickly home in on the local peak.
If you 'overshoot' by skipping like 2 or 3 chunks at a time, and then the percentage starts going down, then you already know that one coordinate of the local peak is between where your concentration started to drop and where you propick'ed the last time where you saw it increase.

Once you found the local peak, dig straight down in the corners of the chunk + the middle, until you find the veins of ore. Optionally, use the secondary propick mode on the way down to help you find veins. 

You never want to be digging horizontally, only vertically. To find every single vein in a chunk will, at most, require 6 tunnels from the top to bottom, if you use secondary-mode propick at every 6th block going straight down in your tunnels.

Source Code:

https://gitlab.com/vsmods-public/vsprospectorinfo

Releases:

v4.1.0(19/07/2021): https://mods.vintagestory.at/download?fileid=1881
v4.0.2(10/05/2021): https://gitlab.com/vsmods-public/vsprospectorinfo/uploads/719ff5a6d2c29dccf088ddfa9fd826fb/vsprospectorinfo_v4.0.2.zip
v4.0.1(28/04/2021): https://gitlab.com/vsmods-public/vsprospectorinfo/uploads/ee1b7ba875f76b2664cd5de053045bf6/vsprospectorinfo_v4.0.1.zip

Edited by Capsup
  • Like 14
  • Cookie time 1

2 hours ago, Brent Strickland said:

it makes me so happy to have prospecting results added to the mini map for 1.14! i am wondering if the white squares that pop up on the mini map are toggleable on and off though for when i'm done prospecting in an area.

I think those white squares are just trees or something like that. The mod overlay is actually the grayish tinted rectangle. You can toggle it with the .pi command.

• Cookie time 1

On 12/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, LocoMiner said:

Does this work for 13.4? I havent upgraded yet.

It should work for 1.13.4, yep.

On 12/23/2020 at 6:41 AM, Anesos said:

Nice. Thanks for the update for 1.14.

One thought... could there be an option for the overlay to only show up when holding a propick in your hand? Then it would automatically toggle itself on and off rather than requiring commands.

I'll add it to my list. It wouldn't be a quick change to make, but it's probably a really good idea. I'm thinking I can make .pi still force toggle, while making the propick equip toggle if .pi was not used.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, LocoMiner said:

Does this work for 13.4? I havent upgraded yet.

If it doesn't use the original mod, linked in the first post.

btw. nice addition that rectangle of the prospected areas. should be way easier to find the messages on the map that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the prospector data saved? I doubt it is server side like waypoints.

I play on 2 different devices. It would be nice to copy the data for the server i play on from one to the other.

Wish for a feature: allow us to set the path where the data is saved, so we could put it in cloud storage (dropbox / onedrive ...).

4 hours ago, hachnslay said:

Where is the prospector data saved? I doubt it is server side like waypoints.

I play on 2 different devices. It would be nice to copy the data for the server i play on from one to the other.

Wish for a feature: allow us to set the path where the data is saved, so we could put it in cloud storage (dropbox / onedrive ...).

The data gets saved in

%appdata%\VintagestoryData\ModData

on a per world basis.

I added the suggestion as a future todo.

• 2 weeks later...

@Capsup I found a dependency due to which the visualization of the VSProspectorInfo mod does not work. If the language of the server and the client is different, it does not work. If the language of the server and the client is the same, everything works fine.

There is an idea how to solve this bug.  Of course, I don't understand the code, but I think it makes sense to add a variable for the language with the ability to change by entering a command into the chat.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, Evil Toaster said:

@Capsup I found a dependency due to which the visualization of the VSProspectorInfo mod does not work. If the language of the server and the client is different, it does not work. If the language of the server and the client is the same, everything works fine.

There is an idea how to solve this bug.  Of course, I don't understand the code, but I think it makes sense to add a variable for the language with the ability to change by entering a command into the chat.

Thanks. 

I had the same issue. Until the problem is solved, I think a short comment about it should be added in the mod presentation.
Otherwise, the mod works perfectly fine and saves a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...

for the longest time after you added the borders, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't change anything in the config file that is mentioned here.  I finally deleted the old config file (I think it only had one line about rendering on map) and my next load had the options that were added.  

I don't think I understand how to enable the autotoggle (where the squares show on the map if your prospecting pick is active but not if you're using a different tool); I have it set to true, but it doesn't seem to work that way

3 hours ago, Lisabet said:

for the longest time after you added the borders, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't change anything in the config file that is mentioned here.  I finally deleted the old config file (I think it only had one line about rendering on map) and my next load had the options that were added.  

Yeah, unfortunately there's no way "good" way for me to do this, assuming that I don't want to ruin people's already-existing modifications to the config, whenever I make changes to it. I don't want to force regenerate the config, so for now I'm just doing it like this and putting a big fat note in the changelog, that says you should do exactly that (4.0.1 had it too).

3 hours ago, Lisabet said:

I don't think I understand how to enable the autotoggle (where the squares show on the map if your prospecting pick is active but not if you're using a different tool); I have it set to true, but it doesn't seem to work that way

"RenderTexturesOnMap" has a higher priority than "AutoToggle", do you have that to true? You can toggle it with `.pi`. If you currently see the textures on your map all the time, then use `.pi` to turn it off and after that, AutoToggle will automatically toggle that whenever you have the prospecting pick equipped. If RenderTexturesOnMap is false, hit me up on Discord at Capsup#8250 and we can try to debug it for you. It does work for me in-game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.