Lichen - v1.17.0 - GEMSBOK! Antler Windchimes! Shoji Screens!

Lich

large.lichen2.png.4a29f5cf025f0fe1983b2fa5fa2ae624.png

=============================================================================

My first mod for vintage story. Thanks to all the very patient and helpful people in the discord who answered my many numerous questions,

weathered my bug reports and were just generally an extremely overall pleasant community to interact with. 😄

Notably novocain for writing an app to make my workflow from BB to VSMC possible and radfast for helping me troubleshoot issues with VSMC 💙

Lichen is the start of an expansive content mod which will add mostly decor,

building blocks, plants, and animals of a more natural, and even primitive, variety.

If you have any suggestions, please, I'd love to hear!

Please do not hesitate to report ANY and ALL bugs!

This mod is released under a CC0 license, except when under the circumstances i use original game assets (obv),

then that specific part (textures etc) assumes the parent license. have fun kids. we're all ash in the end.

Click here for the Lichen Website

You can read about all the features there!

> Download HERE <

Edited by Lich
Bugfixes for 1.17
  • Like 10
  • Cookie time 4
  • Amazing! 1

• Lich changed the title to v1.14+ - Lichen - v1.0 Wattle Fences!
  • Lich changed the title to v1.14+ - Lichen - v1.1 Wild Deer! Bucks, Does & Fawns!
On 2/16/2021 at 11:41 PM, Thatguy420 said:

Oh man I am so excited to see what you do with this mod! What are its current features?!

As of now, a new animal: White-tailed deer, and wattle fences :) I have a lot of plans, though, so you'll just have to wait and see!

3 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Does the name of the mod happen to imply that you will be adding lichen growing in places? If so, that's something I would very much like to see.

Maybe! I am thinking about flora... right now I am just focusing on fauna. I am trying to learn as much as I can about VS's JSON API as I can, so I will likely make a bit of everything!

• Like 1

Suggestions, hmmm flowered vines?

Vine covered fences?

More herbs to complete the herb family the game already has.

Iris, Marigold, Daisies, Foxgloves, Cowslip, Peony and Snowdrop. Herbs had significant usage in the Middle Ages. https://blog.english-heritage.org.uk/grow-medieval-herb-garden/ Some cool blog with pictures to help you if you are interested.

As for animals Beavers, Weasels and the Barnacle Goose.

All these are just suggestions :)

Really loving this game and community so far!

Thought of this last second, flowered lily pads!

Edited by Thatguy420
Lily Pads
  • Like 1

• Lich changed the title to Lichen - v1.1.1 Wild Deer! Bucks, Does & Fawns!
1 hour ago, Thatguy420 said:

Suggestions, hmmm flowered vines?

Vine covered fences?

More herbs to complete the herb family the game already has.

Iris, Marigold, Daisies, Foxgloves, Cowslip, Peony and Snowdrop. Herbs had significant usage in the Middle Ages. https://blog.english-heritage.org.uk/grow-medieval-herb-garden/ Some cool blog with pictures to help you if you are interested.

As for animals Beavers, Weasels and the Barnacle Goose.

All these are just suggestions :)

Really loving this game and community so far!

Thought of this last second, flowered lily pads!

I love the sound of some of these, especially the lily pads :D

A really quick mini update -- v1.1.1

Fixed an issue with some of the sound formatting, should hopefully fix the issue where sounds were not respecting distance

Edited by Lich

i find bug, in code "deer-fawn"

code: "grow",
                hoursToGrow: 336,
                adultEntityCodes: ["deer-male", "deer-female"],

this get error in logs when this grow

if i replase to this

adultEntityCodes: ["lichen:deer-male", "lichen:deer-female"],

its works

😉

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Evil Toaster said:

i find bug, in code "deer-fawn"

adultEntityCodes: ["deer-male", "deer-female"],

this get error in logs when this grow

if i replase to this

adultEntityCodes: ["lichen:deer-male", "lichen:deer-female"],

its works

😉

Thank you for the translation!! And thank you for the bug fix! I think this explains some other issues I was having as well. I will be releasing a new update later today.

I make very dirty patch for farmlife lichen deer's.🤭

Maybe someone will have better knowledge to fix my bad patching. 😅

Don't use this for play, seriously😆

I did not remove the pursuit of the player with food, I could not implement the carry of the fawn. But trough feeding and breeding is already working.

And there is also a strange behavior when eating food from the ground. Food does not disappear, animals do not saturate, but poop appears (and not only deer, farmlife bug?)

lichen-farmlife-patch.zip

8 minutes ago, Evil Toaster said:

I make very dirty patch for farmlife lichen deer's.🤭

Maybe someone will have better knowledge to fix my bad patching. 😅

Don't use this for play, seriously😆

I did not remove the pursuit of the player with food, I could not implement the carry of the fawn. But trough feeding and breeding is already working.

And there is also a strange behavior when eating food from the ground. Food does not disappear, animals do not saturate, but poop appears (and not only deer, farmlife bug?)

lichen-farmlife-patch.zip 4.02 kB · 0 downloads

Oh, thank you! I am currently working on the deer not eating properly right now, that is because I forgot to patch this behavior into the base food files. This will be part of tonight's updates. 😄

4 minutes ago, Lich said:

Oh, thank you! I am currently working on the deer not eating properly right now, that is because I forgot to patch this behavior into the base food files. This will be part of tonight's updates. 😄

I just tried to take the code from farmlife and adapt it for deer.  🤭

I think it's worth using compatibility whenever possible so that there are patches for players with and without farmlife.

• Lich changed the title to Lichen - v1.2.0 Wild Deer! - Antler resource update!

I've now added antlers as a harvest-able item from bucks 😄 I'll be adding crafting recipes relating to them soon, so for now, just get yourself a stockpile going!

I'll also take a look at farmlife later myself and see how trivial it'll be to make and maintain a patch for it.

Edited by Lich
  • Like 2

• Lich changed the title to Lichen - v1.3.0 Modular Tent System Update!

Updated to 1.3.0! I wanted to know your opinion on the tent system. I do not plan to make it any form of fancy instant multiblock system that automatically constructs itself (someone already asked, lol), but if anyone has any input of desired features for the tent system (specific pieces for building, really), please let me know. I already notice myself missing an inverse corner piece, so I will probably start working on that.

I'm not sold on the tent window(not that there is no such thing, it just doesn't jibe(no glass), but the tent itself is really cool. As is everything else you have so far. Also, I wonder at how things like vines aren't used more often, for instance as lashing - as might be on the tent door, but people just aren't using them in mods as much as they seemingly could - where it would be logical.

Edited by Jesse Caron

The new tent system is looking excellent.

By the way, I just noticed that the line underneath the mod's title ("Lichen  a simple slow-growing plant that typically forms a low crusty, leaflike, or branching growth on rocks, walls, and trees.") is actually incorrect. Surprisingly (and rather interestingly), lichen is not a plant, but is a composite organism of fungi and either algae or cyanobacteria (sometimes both); the fungus provides structural integrity and sometimes contributes to extracting nutrients from a substrate, while the algae/cyanobacteria photosynthesize and provide energy and some important nutrients to the fungus. This isn't really relevant to the mod of course, but I think it's worth pointing out because although it's not an especially important thing to get correct, I do think it's much more interesting to know about what lichens actually are, rather than to make the common mistake of thinking that they're just another kind of plant.

• Mind=blown 2

Regarding my above comment about the windows, it occurs to me that perhaps they're not meant to be insulating.

I'm still unclear on some of the mechanics of the game like interior temperature, since only outside and body temperatures are displayed. Maybe I'll try them - and like them. 🤔🙃

A lot of comments! 😅

On 2/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, exile1st said:

I personally would advise half of the amount of pelts per tent block recipe or double the outputs, this would allow people to use it as an early game structure as well.  Great work so far though!

I felt that the amount was appropriate, as I was able to achieve a decent sized tent in single player game while still in the stone age relatively easily, but it does take some work. I did not want to make them too easy and therefor unbalanced, however they were originally going to be more expensive before I tweaked them to output more blocks per recipe.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:14 PM, septemberWaves said:

By the way, I just noticed that the line underneath the mod's title ("Lichen  a simple slow-growing plant that typically forms a low crusty, leaflike, or branching growth on rocks, walls, and trees.") is actually incorrect. Surprisingly (and rather interestingly), lichen is not a plant

Huh, seems you are correct! I had quickly googled the definition of lichen for flavor text and the top definition seems to be incorrect. 😅

On 2/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, Jesse Caron said:

I'm not sold on the tent window(not that there is no such thing, it just doesn't jibe(no glass), but the tent itself is really cool. As is everything else you have so far. Also, I wonder at how things like vines aren't used more often, for instance as lashing - as might be on the tent door, but people just aren't using them in mods as much as they seemingly could - where it would be logical.

I think a glass window in a tent would be stranger! You aren't obligated to use the window blocks however, they're separate craftable pieces. Vines tend to be pretty expensive in that they're hard to find especially depending on where you live, so I opted not to use them.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:14 AM, Streetwind said:

Do the deer spawn in place of other wild animals, partially replacing them? Or do they spawn in addition?

Important to know when considering to add multiple mods with additional mobs. Don't want the base game animals to disappear, but don't want to overcrowd the world either ;)

They spawn in addition! Any entity mod that is made correctly will spawn in addition, the API is quite nice for that. It's quite trivial to add new animals and things like that.

As far as overcrowding, I specifically set it so they did not 100% overlap any of the spawn conditions of prexisting animals, but overlap with some of them, as well as having their own unique spawn area (gravel forest) that no other vanilla animals currently have. I'm not sure how the base game handles overspawning, but at the moment, there is no issue with this. As lichen grows and adds more animals (and the base game adds more animals), and if we do run into the issue of overspawning and spawn competition, it'll be pretty trivial to fix by altering the spawning biome requirements as well as how many animals of a specific type are allowed to spawn when a spawn check is successful.

2 hours ago, Jesse Caron said:

Regarding my above comment about the windows, it occurs to me that perhaps they're not meant to be insulating.

I'm still unclear on some of the mechanics of the game like interior temperature, since only outside and body temperatures are displayed. Maybe I'll try them - and like them. 🤔🙃

At the moment, the tents are not meant to insulate, yeah, merely because it's a mechanic in the game I do not understand from a modding aspect yet. I still need to understand *how* the game handles insulation and temperature, and what mechanics directly affect it with blocks, when I do, i'll add it to the tents, but at the moment, i'm fairly certain the tents will not keep you warm.

Edited by Lich
  • Like 2

I'm working on the next update, and it's not quite ready yet, but it will include:

• Antler working! Cut up your antlers into pieces and turn those pieces into knives, pickaxes, and arrowheads.
  • Antler pickaxes are a primitive, stone age era form of mining that only allow the mining of stone and flint, inspired by our IRL ancestors
  • Reed mats! Large and small decorative reed mats to decorate your tent or home
  • Hide Floor Cushions! A cozy little spot to sit on while you knap tools or work on chiseled art. Dyeable!

And possibly more, depending on what I feel like adding 😄

2021-03-02_06-28-19.thumb.png.595b38956986207c63db5613b7695cf9.png

Edited by Lich
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.