That One Game

Soloquendi

The one that got you hooked.  Where you would play it for hours and would think about it even when you weren't playing it. 

Dungeons and Dragons was the one for me back in '79.   The base was snowed in and we were stuck in the barracks, and somebody broke out the dice and books and 14 hours later 3/4 of our characters were dead, but we didn't care.  :)

What was yours? 

• Like 2

Clonk. A small obscure game mostly played by german players. The very first version was made in 1994, I got to know it only 5 years later. It was like terraria,  with blocks the size of single screen pixels, and more sandbox-y / multiplayer oriented, no boss mobs or anything. It's the game with which I learned programming.

• Like 2

Too many. First Operation Nuptune, Donky kong, Jame bond Goldeneye, pokemon, zeld: Ocarina of time, Final Fantasy 7, Dune, Age of Empires, DnD, WoW, disgea 3, Demon souls, Go, LoL, Minecraft, Minecraft Blood n Bones modpack, Minecraft TFC, now Vintage Story. To think of what I could I could have mastered if I spent all that time on other things... Yep, I'm addicted, it's a problem, I'm working on it, I don't need your concern or advice, I get it, leave me alone already, I can handle it myself, GO AWAY.

• Like 1

Guest HelDM

Computergames: Knights and Merchants

That game.. oh... I locked myself in my room when was a kid to play this for days on end during holidays.

Non computergames: Dungeons and Dragons. Gather up a load of friends, get some snakcs, fizzy drinks an a have a wild imagination. Succes guaranteed! 

For hours and think when not playing - probably Minecraft/TFC only. Because you can think about builds when not playing, like now for VS.

Addictive - sadly after so many games just can't remember, despite vaguely feel there were some. From recent addictive games - Creeper World 2,3; Particle Fleet.

Supreme Commander.

Planetside 2.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

My number one is Chrono trigger, Finalfantasy's, Zelda and many other great Snes rpg titles back in the day.  Nowadays i play WoW, Ark, Conan and Destiny once in a while. Played almost every building crafting survival game on multiple platforms out there except a few horror survival titels and now stuck on VS, its a great survival game love the realism in a blocky world!

Edited by DiZz
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Runescape back in 2006-2008 is what really got me hooked on video games. I had played other games on playstation and gameboy but I think Runescape was the first big one for me. Actually now that I think about it, Pokemon (gen 1) might have been the very first game I got hooked on back in 1998... Runescape got me hooked on online games.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

=> Battle For Wesnoth - I play this often too, nice also, you can meet lot of people via multiplayer!

older games ...
=> Return to Castle of Wolfenstein, thats so crazy - most horrific atmosphere & music in a game, especially as you fighte against undead zombies and nazis in dungeons with Indina-Jones like traps

=> Star Craft (from 1998)

=> Civilization I, II, III and IV - sometimes I play CIV IV and the Mod "Ashes of Erebus" / "Fall From Heaven II"

=> Age of Empires

=> Unreal Tournament

Edited by RobinHood

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/16/2020 at 3:44 PM, Fizel said:

Runescape back in 2006-2008 is what really got me hooked on video games.

Feel you 😆
Before that, I knew nothing.
My only PC games before runescape were The Settlers 2 and Age of Empires. I liked them very much, as well as playing around with my GameMaker engine, to make my own games, since back then I hardly ever had a penny.
But the day RuneScape entered my life, was a complete game changer in my early youth. Hanging out with friends online, making plans to go on PvP raids in the good old wildernes, slaying the Chaos Elemental, making myself a name in Carnifis and roaming around the elven woods surrounding Prifddinas, it was great.
What hooked me next was Gothic and Gothic 2. The story was straight forward, the characters where emotionally touching and fun to talk to, the combat system was simple but fun to play, the game didn't offer any help for pathfinding, so you had to figure out what and who is where and when. Single player adventure RPG is still one of my favorite genres today.
Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi Outcast, Alan Wake, Masseffect, Half-Life, Portal, all of them got me hooked, till I had played them through. When I play a game with a story behind it, I litteraly use up all of my free time to continue my adventure.
The Witcher 3 was the last one I played, and I had it done with 80 hours game time in just 2 weeks of my holliday 😅

I hope, noone is surprised that Minecraft once was a big part of my live for many years. I owned a server with 30-50 regular users and a unique concept. Aaaah, good ol' times.
To me and my team, a TNT cannon was not just a gimmick to play around with, but real science within the boundry of pixely blocks. I once was one of the most ambitious cannon scientists in the german Minecraft Wargear community. Teamleader of up to a dozen crew members to keep the server running and the social glue that kept everyone closely together for several years. Not all of this was my own work, I had a grandious team. Some of which became close friends over the years.

Aaaand I don't think I need to tell you, that Vintage Story was the next thing to get me hooked. It consists of all the things I love about video games. And only of those... besides a few bugs 😜 but that's totaly okay. I'm so happy to be here and so excited about what will come next, where the community is going and what the future will reveal about the lore.

Thank you @Soloquendi for making me remember all those grandious experiences 🤗

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 9:40 PM, Grunio said:

Streets of rouge. Played it since the gamejolt demo was released and I got around 340 hours in the steam version. Hope the sequel is going to be good.

Here's a link for the curious souls out there: https://gamejolt.com/games/streets-of-rogue/184550

https://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/Streets_of_Rogue/

https://www.gog.com/game/streets_of_rogue

note: crossplay with your friends no matter where the game was purchased (pc only)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.