BackpackPack- Improving backpack progression.

Mr1k3

BackpackPack is a mod intended to be a successor to "QOL Tweaks BetterBackpacks", it is designed to fill in gaps in the backpack progression and even drastically increase the base games backpack capacity with the plus version. It replaces all of vanillas backpack recipes with improved versions and adds some early and late game backpack progression.

Heres my patreon if you'd like to support me: Patreon

This mod has two versions- the "BackpackPack" and the "BackpackPackPlus";

The normal version keeps the storage capacity of vanilla backpacks and keeps the newly added backpacks in line with those numbers.

The second, or "Plus" version uses numbers similar to the original "QOL Tweaks Betterbackpacks" mod meaning backpacks give you much more storage that is about double of the base games numbers.

Use the normal version if you like vanilla storage numbers, and use plus if you like huge inventory sizes.

Backpack Progression:

(Quantity slot amounts are shown as PLUS version, N/A to standard version)

Spoiler

Grass pouch:

gp3.png.a42fcf54dfb2587e7d870b8013e776a6.png

Very early game solution, niche use when you cant find enough cattails, has recipe to reclaim ingredients.

Basket:

bsk3.png.014e4d540bff60e9f3fd272d3d5b802f.png

Slightly more expensive, has recipe to reclaim all cattails minus rope.

Hunter backpack:

hbpk5.png.a6d960c0957e92fd92acbffabf9d4c00.png

Uses raw hides now, can now use 2 small raw hides as well. Easier to create now so its competitive with linen sack.

Linen sack:

lsnsnk4.png.cdcad24a0817143fac193547fd3bebc8.png

Slight cost increase, can reclaim 4 twine back with recipe.

Mining bag:

mngsk4.png.15d87ba97b000757b3fdccc9f292cb39.png

Same changes as linen sack for consistency, can reclaim plates with recipe.

Backpack:

bpkc3.png.828a88b75e1e9844b4ac87d914b4f322.png

Slight increase in cost, can reclaim 8 leather used.

Reinforced Backpacks-

Bronze:

bpkc4.png.9b7363cd2d9ca23292db11357ea9b59d.png

Can reclaim plates.

Iron:

bpkc5.png.1e46b4b9f131fbdd5001fc204dc13694.png

Can reclaim plates.

Steel:

bpkc6.png.e25d7106d8626fa917f2e307fe393191.png

Can reclaim plates.

Temporal rift:

bpkc7.png.460b95677892076cfe3792223029cf5d.png

Can't upload any more images but that purple thing has a recipe and uses a temporal gear and diamond.

Storage Numbers:

Spoiler

Standard Version:

Grass pouch- +2 slots EA. 8 total.

Basket- +3 slots EA. 12 total.

Hunter backpack- +4 slots EA. 16 total.

Linen sack- +5 slots EA. 20 total.

Mining bag- +12 slots EA. 48 total. (Mining limited)

Backpack- +6 slots EA. 24 total.

Bronze reinforced backpack- +8 slots EA. 32 total.

Iron reinforced backpack- +10 slots EA. 40 total.

Steel reinforced backpack- +12 slots EA. 48 total.

Temporal rift- +18 slots EA. 72 total.

Plus Verison:

Grass pouch- +3 slots EA. 12 total.

Basket- +4 slots EA. 16 total.

Hunter backpack- +6 slots EA. 24 total.

Linen sack- +9 slots EA. 36 total.

Mining bag- +18 slots EA. 72 total. (Mining limited)

Backpack- +12 slots EA. 48 total.

Bronze reinforced backpack- +14 slots EA. 56 total.

Iron reinforced backpack- +16 slots EA. 64 total.

Steel reinforced backpack- +18 slots EA. 72 total.

Temporal rift- +24 slots EA. 96 total.

Mod is usable on existing worlds, however backpacks existing before the mod was installed and across the two versions will need to be replaced (by re-crafting or spawning them in) to have their storage numbers be updated.

The two versions are exclusive to each other, as they have different mod id's so if you load a world that had the standard version with the plus version the other versions items will simply cease to function, but the currently loaded version will work fine, you may want to refund the cost of the items though if you make the switch intentionally. You wont loose the items from mistakenly loading the wrong mod though, just load back up the version you had when you made the items and they will function as normal.

Character backpack graphics (as in being shown on the back) seems to be buggy for some reason, if you want your backpack to show on your back you will have to re-log otherwise nothing will show up on your back, seems to be some issue with the base game.

Downloads:

Standard Full link: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1061

Plus Full link: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1060

Edited by Mr1k3
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

How does this compare with The Advanced Backpack Construction System? Looks more resource-intensive, for better or for worse.

I guess the difference is these recipes are balanced around a vanilla style and the progression is straightforward, also those recipes from that mod seem very linen intensive, these recipes are not supposed to be much more expensive than vanilla, but to utilize items you get in each age and gate the progression behind them. I wanted to pad out each tier of backpack since I usually skip from basket to linen sack in my games . Really its just up to preference at the end of the day.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

okay, just now found this mod, guess i'll use this instead of your betterbackpacks now in 1.15?

looking at the recipes... maybe i'll go from linen sacks or maybe the normal backpacks straight to temporal rifts? The backpack progression seems really expensive...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am still getting an error with the hunter pack on 1.16

14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 2 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /2/enabled is invalid: The json path /2/enabled was not found. No such element '2' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 3 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /3/enabled is invalid: The json path /3/enabled was not found. No such element '3' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 4 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /4/enabled is invalid: The json path /4/enabled was not found. No such element '4' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 5 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /5/enabled is invalid: The json path /5/enabled was not found. No such element '5' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:49 [Notification] JsonPatch Loader: 948 patches total, successfully applied 899 patches, missing files on 45 patches, unmet conditions on 81 patches, had errors on 4 patches

On 1/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, Cryptis Midnight said:

I am still getting an error with the hunter pack on 1.16

14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 2 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /2/enabled is invalid: The json path /2/enabled was not found. No such element '2' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 3 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /3/enabled is invalid: The json path /3/enabled was not found. No such element '3' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 4 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /4/enabled is invalid: The json path /4/enabled was not found. No such element '4' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:48 [Error] Patch 5 (target: game:recipes/grid/hunterbackpack.json) in game:patches/survival-recipes-grid-hunterbackpack.json failed because supplied path /5/enabled is invalid: The json path /5/enabled was not found. No such element '5' at the root path
14.1.2022 10:25:49 [Notification] JsonPatch Loader: 948 patches total, successfully applied 899 patches, missing files on 45 patches, unmet conditions on 81 patches, had errors on 4 patches

Went ahead and fixed that in-

1.0.3:

• removed some useless patches that caused error log messages
  • added mod icons
  • temporal tinkerer now has compatibility tweaks with this mod, with temporal tinkerer installed alongside one of these mods the recipes for the black hole backpack and core now uses parts from temporal tinkerer in the recipes, the patch is all handled on the temporal tinkerer side though so only that needs to be updated to get these changes, but you'd miss out on the new pretty mod icons.

• 3 months later...

For some reason I cannot get the standard backpack pack to work on 1.16.5. Is anyone else experiencing this or is this simply not updated to work on that version yet?

EDIT: Nevermind. I was confused. Things do seem to be working, its just that the recipe for the hand basket doesn't seem to include the rope mentioned in the post. That's fine, just surprised me. I tried the plus version (and am staying with it lol) and the recipe is also not using rope. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Edited by Chad Kleckler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.