Item storage in stone age?

Moheron

It only takes 24 reeds to make an 8-slot basket. And you get 12-slots by making a container (don't recall the name) from blue or fire clay. From a space POV, the baskets are better in that you can stack one on top of another getting 16 slots in the same space as you would otherwise get only 12.

For my money, though, I really like the clay storage vessels. Just get yourself a couple slots worth of peat and build a temporary safe space over a clay deposit and make vessels. Or mine a bunch of clay and take it to wherever home is and craft there. The advantage to forming (but not firing) at the clay site is you can stack unfired 4 high, and each pot takes a bit over 1/2 of a stack of clay, so you end up being able to carry over twice as many if you fire them wherever you are using them. Not that you need more than a half dozen of those before you get chests. Lugging home 2 stacks of pots and 2 stacks of clay should be more than enough.

Edited by Stephan Jerde
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stephan Jerde said:

It only takes 24 reeds to make an 8-slot basket. And you get 12-slots by making a container (don't recall the name) from blue or fire clay. From a space POV, the baskets are better in that you can stack one on top of another getting 16 slots in the same space as you would otherwise get only 12.

For my money, though, I really like the clay storage vessels. Just get yourself a couple slots worth of peat and build a temporary safe space over a clay deposit and make vessels. Or mine a bunch of clay and take it to wherever home is and craft there. The advantage to forming (but not firing) at the clay site is you can stack unfired 4 high, and each pot takes a bit over 1/2 of a stack of clay, so you end up being able to carry over twice as many if you fire them wherever you are using them. Not that you need more than a half dozen of those before you get chests. Lugging home 2 stacks of pots and 2 stacks of clay should be more than enough.

Yeah I ended up looking up tips for beginners on yt and some dude told about the reed baskets. Thanks anyway! I just discovered some clay and I'm starting to play around with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephan Jerde said:

I think they called Storage Vessel. While they are meant for storing and preserving food, they're a good alternate for storing items.

1 hour ago, Michaloid said:

How the heck did no one remember the reed baskets? It's the most cheap "chest" for players on the early part of the game.

Well yes, until you start getting more stuff and there is few reeds/papyrus to be use.

I usually cut down lots of cooper's reeds to begin with and plant some of them next to my base. By the time I need more baskets, they're ready to harvest. The journey to planks is a bit daunting at the beginning as you need a fair bit of copper to make a pick, an anvil and a saw blade as well as the charcoal for smelting.

As well as the reed baskets and clay storage vessels mentioned, you can also build tool racks for any surplus/intermittently-used tools, and there's a variety of items that can be stacked on the ground, including in particular most fuel types (firewood, peat, charcoal, etc). In a pinch, you can also use the fuel and input slots on (unlit) firepits to hold random items.

20 hours ago, Moheron said:

Seems kinda far away seeing as I'm not yet even able to mine basic stone.

In case you haven't figured this out yet, you will not be able to mine stone of any kind until you have a metal pickaxe. The solution to this is small bits of copper found loose on the surface. (Remember to mark the locations where you find such bits on your map.) Read the guides in the in-game handbook for more information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 1:44 PM, Moheron said:

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the game but I already have trouble managing my stuff with only 4 basic baskets. I've been just throwing items on the ground of my soil bunker. What should I focus on finding/crafting to get some storage ASAP?

Others have mentioned all of these things separately, but I want to summarize it all.  There are two types of reed baskets.  One is the kind you carry to give you inventory space.  The other is a basket you can place on the ground just like a chest to store the rest of your items.  I typically only make the bare minimum of those I can get by with and get into clay forming as fast as I can.  Clay forming gets you a large storage vessel with 12 slots.  They are great for storing food in the mid to late game anyway, so I make a bunch of them, even if I don't immediately need them.  They do a decent job of carrying you along until you can forge a saw blade and start making chests.  Once you have a saw and therefore all the chests you could ever need, you can move all your clay vessels into your cellar and use them for food. 

• 10 months later...

not directly connected but...

clay forming of vessels is time time consuming.

The beginning of the save - first year - is pretty tough, time wise.

summer time implies no night sleeps. No more lost time for sleeping 7 hours on the grass bed (unless being in long travel, and the activity is high)

nights are for the crafting:

• clay forming,
  • stone tools,
  • cooking meals to be put into the vessels as filled pots,
  • melting and casting metals,
  • filling the charcoal pits that therefore should be accessible from the house
  • etc

So the best time management is to leave the time consuming crafting tasks for nights. But even then - none prohibits you to form vessels at nights while traveling. You just make your stop next to a clay deposit. Firing the clay forms and marking these firepits for later pickup (as well as already collected stuff in freshly crafted reed baskets is also an option to consider.

Also, don't forget the premier early game cache -- firepits. Lowest cost storage per slot by far. So far you can put anything in the slots. I think so, anyway. I don't recall anything I've tried to put in that wouldn't take.

Firepits also serve other purposes. First, marking locations. At the low, low price of 1 grass that are already carrying around, you can mark all those copper nuggets. Second, breadcrumbs. Particularly for those of us playing without minimap, that is really powerful for negligible cost.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.