What did you do in Vintage Story today?

noname hero

Not an occurrence today, but rather a week ago. Still thought it was wild enough that I absolutely have to share it with everyone.

I was foraging in the forest when I saw a trail of dead animals killed by another animal. Didn't hear a wolf though, so I trod cautiously. Suddenly, as I crossed a crest, I saw a big brown object ahead stand on its hind legs.

Bears!

I didn't bring my spears, so I ran home to get it. I figured, good we're going to get some bushmeat for the next few days.

With my spears in hand, I ran back. The bear was gone.

Welp, I figured that was that and continued to forage. My wife, who was doing some work next to me, was asking me something. I got momentarily distracted as I turned to talk to her, and I swear, right at the moment when I turned back to face the screen, the bear jumped out from around a tree, mauling my character. I screamed, my wife screamed because I screamed, and we both spent the next 1 minute laughing about it.

Edited by LJim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I just got a copper pickaxe, so I went around looking for some copper to mine. Next to my house was some copper on the surface, so I dug and dug, until I heard growling. Right above me. I had only improvised armour and a flint spear on me and didn't feel like losing my progress, so I holed up. The issue is, the wolf wouldn't go away. Since right next to prospecting area was my charcoal pit, I dug towards it and tunnels around it. I uncovered the roof and tried to poke the wolf from there somehow - until it fell down and I could poke it to death safely. It wasn't the scariest experience, but it was tense.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just did another first few days runs to work on honing skills. Spawn was in basalt, gravel everywhere, [EDIT] a crapton of obsidian everywhere you look,[/EDIT] a little snow in patches. I think it was 3C. Gravel is not my favorite, I'd much rather have plains to spot flax in early game, and, of course, berry bushes, but what is, is.

Found a fairly impressive 1.8l of resin by 17:00, and had a stack of blue clay and enough reeds to do my baskets and have enough left over for two skeps if the situation arises, but had not found anything other than some berries here and there, and a single food cracked vessel with mostly flax and a couple rye, I think. Ah, well, might be restarting this one. Then I spotted some copper nuggets. A lot of them. 23 in all. Mark that spot, and change plans to do some forming and woodchopping, so I can possibly have a copper pick by late day 2.

Climb to the top of that rise to make camp, and see a ruins in the distance. I decide to check it out while there's still some daylight. On the way, I stumble over another large spread of  copper nuggets, bringing me up to 44! Great! I'll be able to make both pick and hammer! Get to the ruins. Cracked vessel is...tool! (Cross fingers.) Copper pickaxe! Cut to the chase, by around 3AM, I had found an additional 3 surface nuggets I missed, and had mined 33 poor grade, 35 medium grade and 1 medium crystallized. Plus because one of the deposits was situated on blue clay, I managed to make 64 cobblestone, as well as relieve 4 (well, 5 actually; I lost count) full blocks, so I'm ready to make a quern. (The cobblestone is important, because it is enough to build a comfortable-sized kitchen room that counts as a cellar.) All on day 1. Unbelievable.

Now  I'm out of food and taking damage, it's just barely starting to get light, and crossing my fingers that I can see well enough to find something to eat before I die. That would be a heck of a way to blow a start like that. If I can get out of all this gravel, I'll be fine, but...

In case anyone wants to try their luck, the seed is 600991009.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hells Razer said:

Is this in 1.17 or 1.18?

1.17.11, Survival defaults.

[EDIT]

In retrospect, if something like this ever happens again, I'll stick with the idea to clayform hammer mold, maybe 4 ingot molds, and crucible and get them firing, then get a small probably 1x2 charcoal pit going before I do the mining. Better use of time.

Of course, I never will find another copper pick on day 1...

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

Oh, they don't? Did not know that. What is governed by the seed, then? Overall landform only? Biome? Strata?

[EDIT]

Is the relative frequency of ores at least seed dependent, and only the actual deposits generated otherwise?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

12 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Overall landform only? Biome? Strata?

I am almost certain it works for landform (similar not identical) and biome type but not sure about strata.

I generated my test world from the seed I was playing on at the time, with identical config settings, and observed that it looked very similar around spawn.

Edited by Hells Razer

I found something really fun for those who like pvp and gliding.

You can use the glider to add momentum to your walkspeed by making it 1.5x more faster than bunnyhopping. (You need the right angle to be more efficient)

You can use any weapons to fight against anything even with the heaviest armor you still can get great speed.

This can be revolutionary for all classes.

[If VS Team is watching my comment pls don't change the glider pls]

Edited by Ruyeex
  • Mind=blown 1

Holy cow, the wildlife in 1.18!

Spoiler

I'm only on day 5, but have already killed 2 bears, and know of 2 others in the near vicinity. There are at least 5 families of wolves, and no deep water, though thank goodness dodge still works. My typical open in 1.17 has been to more or less run away from everything, which still works, even if you accidentally run into a bear 5 tiles away, but unlike in 1.17, I was only able to stick slightly more than a stack per night, having had to flee from the wildlife and drifters all night. That and when dawn broke, there were those rift things EVERYWHERE! In one spot, there were 5 in I'd estimate a 20 block radius, though I could not stick around to count. No wonder every time I ran I got that weird distortion thing.

Looks like it's going to become more important to have somewhere lit and enclosed to hole up for the night. 

[EDIT]

Oh, or maybe this just means I need to start using a WHOLE LOT more torches, planting them pretty much everywhere before sunset...

How are you dealing with the changes?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

Hadn't been paying too much attention to changes in 1.18 

Spoiler

specifically, that cutting grass with a knife only cuts the tops off, and you have to cut it twice to get rid of combustible material. I decided to go quick and dirty setting my pit kilns, so rather than replacing the border blocks with packed earth, I just cut the grass. Once. Just once,

and as a result, by the time I got back from an all-day foraging mission, I had burned down everything around my homestead. 

• Wolf Bait 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding I have to change my standard start. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that bears make a big difference. Rather than just sprinting, stopping only for enough reeds for 3 hand baskets (I'm almost guaranteed to get at least one linen sack by end of day), berries to carry me through the night, a stack of clay, two torches and a dozen peat, I'm finding I have to slow down a lot to avoid running across bears. I don't think they are one-shotting me, but I am rarely at full health, having fallen a few times and maybe landed right on top of a wolf or two, so it doesn't really make that much difference.

Spoiler

So, the grass/firewood armor is very high priority, often before I get even the first of my 3 baskets. And instead of 5000-6000 blocks of travel per day, I'm getting maybe 2000, so rarely am I getting more than one linen sack on the first day. Still, unless it's a lousy region for copper, I'm finding enough to make a pick, and on average, a hammer, too, 

But dropping exploration by a third makes a huge difference. Seems about even odds of finding bees the first day. First day coal is probably only around 25%, borax about 33%, tin is never. At least yet. Copper seems to be less common than before, too, though maybe it's because I'm exploring only a third as much. Resin seems about the same, maybe a bit more.

So what are you finding about changes in 1.18?

Hello

I tried 1.18 but it keeps crashing while loading the world so I'm staying with 1.17 for now, which also crashes a lot but at least I get to play some. I'm on an old laptop running old ubuntu so...

I've only been playing for a couple of days and I starved for most of that time lol  But I survived and finally moved out of my gravel wasteland spawn base and established a more permanent home where there is abundance. I made my first garden, planted my first seeds and got hit by lightning!

Today I harvested flax and upgraded from hand baskets to linen sacs which is quite nice. I also learned about pelts while being cooped up during a storm. I'm in no hurry with the game and it seems I'll be staying in the stone age for a while. I set the number of days in a month to 12 because I felt the game was too fast for me. I'm a bit anxious about winter.

1 hour ago, fran6 said:

Hello

I tried 1.18 but it keeps crashing while loading the world so I'm staying with 1.17 for now, which also crashes a lot but at least I get to play some. I'm on an old laptop running old ubuntu so...

I've only been playing for a couple of days and I starved for most of that time lol  But I survived and finally moved out of my gravel wasteland spawn base and established a more permanent home where there is abundance. I made my first garden, planted my first seeds and got hit by lightning!

Today I harvested flax and upgraded from hand baskets to linen sacs which is quite nice. I also learned about pelts while being cooped up during a storm. I'm in no hurry with the game and it seems I'll be staying in the stone age for a while. I set the number of days in a month to 12 because I felt the game was too fast for me. I'm a bit anxious about winter.

Hi Fran6!

If time is an issue, there are some commands that might help. This is an old post from Tyron when the 'current' game version was 1.10.5 (I've been using the third command, and it still works well in 1.18):

image.png.b3ca4ec2ffcd88a2c6b3c79f087a705c.png

To use the command, type "T" to open the chat window, and type:

/time calendarSpeedMul 0.5 [but 0.5 is the default, so choose a number less than that; I enjoy the pace at 0.1 but that may be too slow for you]

On 3/29/2023 at 2:39 PM, Thorfinn said:

So what are you finding about changes in 1.18?

Spoiler

I'm finding surface copper to be less common too. If I do find some in a plains area, it's rare to find more than one piece. However I've also found copper in an acacia region (would that be considered dry?) that was a huge deposit with the most surface pieces I've ever seen.

Btw, I have surface copper set to "uncommon", and surface tin set to "very rare" which are the same settings I used in 1.17. I've not found any tin at all in 1.18.

Oh! And my global deposit spawn rate is at 160% which was also the same used in 1.17.

23 hours ago, dakko said:

/time calendarSpeedMul 0.5 [but 0.5 is the default, so choose a number less than that; I enjoy the pace at 0.1 but that may be too slow for you]

How does that compare with simply adding days to the month? I like having 12 days to a month so far, it divides evenly.

52 minutes ago, fran6 said:

How does that compare with simply adding days to the month? I like having 12 days to a month so far, it divides evenly.

It affects the length of day. At 0.5, it takes 48 real life minutes for one day. At 0.1, one day is 240 real life minutes... which surprises me, as it doesn't seem that long (to me). Personally, I enjoy looking around at things and do not like to feel rushed.

I hadn't noticed any change to the days in a month, and I'm not sure what Tyron was referring to in that post when he mentions the calendar. The wiki doesn't make it any more clear to me: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/List_of_server_commands/time

EDIT: Actually, it would be more accurate to say that it affects the real life time it takes for one day to occur. The day is still '24 hours' long as far as the game is concerned.

Edited by dakko

@dakko@fran6

/time speed [60] is the simulation speed of the world. If you increase this number, everything gets fast-forwarded; if you decrease it, everything slows down. This includes plant growth, fuel consumption, weather pattern changes, even the movement speed of clouds and the waving of foliage in the wind - anything in the world that changes over time. Only things that are not "the world", i.e the animation speed of the player and creatures like animals and drifters, are unaffected. Other than that, you could think of it literally as a slow-mo or timelapse button on a video.

/time calendarspeedmul [0.5] changes the amount of realworld time that will elapse for a given amount of ingame time to pass. Specifically, it modifies "IRL minutes per ingame hour", and at the default value, every ingame hour takes two IRL minutes. A multiplier of 1.0 would then, obviously, be one IRL minute per one ingame hour. Lowering the multiplier makes the calendar progress more slowly, and thus everything that depends on the calendar will happen more slowly. Things that do not depend on the calendar, like the amount of time a piece of firewood burns in a firepit, or the speed at which a cloud moves across the sky, are not affected. That's how this command differs from /time speed.

/time hoursperday [24] does exactly what it says on the tin. Days behave as if they had fewer (or more) hours. That means that processes which are defined in terms of how many hours they take still take exactly as long in real time, but ingame, a different amount of days/nights may pass. For example, pit kilns using firewood take 20 ingame hours by default. With 24 hours per day, a kiln will burn for 0.83 ingame days, equaling 40 IRL minutes. With 12 hours per day, the pit kiln will burn for 1.66 ingame days, still equaling 40 IRL minutes. The path of the sun in the sky will accelerate and you will see more sunrises and sunsets in the same amount of real time.

/worldConfig daysPerMonth [9] also does what it says on the tin. It sets how many days are in each of the 12 months of the calendar, and thus, processes which are defined as taking a specific number of days will happen in a smaller (or larger) fraction of a whole year. In past versions, this mainly affected crop growth and berry bush repopulation; if you set something like 30 days per month, you could have like 3 harvests per month for some crops if you didn't also change the growth time of crops to be equally slowed (via /worldconfigcreate float cropGrowthRateMul [1.0]). Come 1.18, this is no longer necessary, as crop growth time will be defined in months, and will thus auto-adjust to the number of days per month you choose.

Important notes here are: /time speed and /time calendarspeedmul just modify the rate of the passage of time. They get saved with your world, but you can turn them on and off willy-nilly without causing any problems. The other two, however, which set the number of hours per day and the number of days per month... those edit your calendar. And this is a recipe for trouble in existing worlds, especially since worlds do not start when you think they do. For example, if you spawn into a new world on May 1st, as normal, and then immediately enter /time hoursperday 12, then your calendar will jump to September 1st! How, you may ask? Because the world started on January 1st, year 0, but you only spawned four months later, on May 1st. Each of those four months had 9 days with 24 hours in them, and you are now retroactively setting them to have only 12 hours each. The game maintains the time elapsed, and to have the same number of hours pass, there must now be twice as many days, and thus twice as many months. daysPerMonth has a similar effect: start a default world where you spawn on May 1st, and then immediately set /worldConfig daysPerMonth 30, and you will find yourself freezing your butt off on February 7th instead. Figuring out exactly where your calendar will end up after one of these commands gets more and more difficult the longer the world has already existed.

And you may see unexpected side effects, too. Your crops might all spontaneously grow up - or revert to a previous growth stage - or even get damaged or die, if the new date has a temperature unsuited for those crops. Or your entire food cellar's contents may transform into rot all at once. And once food has rotted, you can't un-rot it anymore, even by undoing the changes you just made. Toying with timescales in existing worlds is dangerous and should never be done without a backup!

And then there are the /time set and /time setmonth commands. Which simply make the game jump to a specific point in time, such as the following morning. You may think: these sound great to circumvent problems like those caused by the calendar-modifying commands above... and you would be half right. And half wrong. They will certainly let you move the current date to a month/season you are comfortable playing in, if your prior edits put you into an undesired month. But keep in mind that each execution of these commands fast-forwards you to the next instance of that moment in time. Each /time set morning will move you forward to the next morning, never back to the current one, not even when mere seconds have passed. Each /time setmonth aug will move you to the start of the next August in the future, never back to the start of the current August you may already be in, not even when mere seconds have passed. And all that time that gets skipped forwards will faithfully get processed in the world. Your food will rot. Your crops will grow/freeze/die. And so on.

Finally, there used to be ways that let you turn back time, such as supplying a negative value to /time add. They should all be patched out by now, to my knowledge, and you should never, ever try to find new ones. Because the principal result of trying to revert time is a permanently bricked save. The game is not set up to do this properly. Don't try making it do this.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.