Is Node Search Mode a form of Cheating?

Green

9 hours ago, Green said:

Hello, I was thinking about enabling Node Search Mode for my Prospecting Pick on my world, but then I saw that I would need to add a command to my world or change it on the World Configs. Can this be considered a form of cheating?

Configuration settings are preferences, not cheats. Using commands in an existing world is just a way of changing your mind about the configuration settings (or enabling new configuration options that are part of an update).

It took me a long time to understand that everyone has different views on what is cheating and what is not cheating. To some, death should end the game. Period. And they may say that any other option is cheating... but that isn't true. That is only their way of seeing it. It doesn't need to be your way of seeing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend who prefers to do node search. While I've been hesitant about it, since the pro pick really loses its intended functionality if you aren't forced to triangulate with multiple samples, ultimately it matters very, very little if node search can enhance enjoyment of the game thereafter.

This game can be adjusted, tweaked and modified to one's preference. It's ultimately your game, with your story. Tyron wants it that way. And hopefully, it stays that way.

Edited by Brandon Bachman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brandon Bachman said:

since the pro pick really loses its intended functionality if you aren't forced to triangulate with multiple samples

Apologies if I sound a bit confused, but... you've never used node search or even seen it used, right? Because that is not at all how it works.

When you are talking about "triangulating the location of ore with multiple samples" - that's literally what node search does. That's its intended use case. You break a block and get the info that ore is somewhere in the scan range; thus a minigame begins where you need to break blocks in multiple areas/directions to try and deduce which direction the ore is in and how far away it is.

The default propick mode (density search), which tells you the spawn probabilities of ores in the area, is not turned off. It remains available, and indeed remains required, as node search alone will find nothing anywhere except by absolute dumb luck. Node search helps you look when you know something is nearby, true - but density search tells you where it is worth looking in the first place.

Both modes do entirely different things that complement each other and work together. No functionality is replaced or rendered irrelevant.

You don't have to take my word for it, though. Create a new world with node search enabled at one of the recommended settings (4, 6, or 8). Spawn yourself a propick and as many pickaxes as you need. Now try and find cassiterite using only node search and nothing else. I guarantee you, before ten minutes are up you'll be begging to be allowed to use density search first! ;)

Edited by Streetwind
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 3:07 PM, Green said:

Hello, I was thinking about enabling Node Search Mode for my Prospecting Pick on my world, but then I saw that I would need to add a command to my world or change it on the World Configs. Can this be considered a form of cheating?

Just to add to the correct answers above.

There is no "cheat flag," as there is in Minecraft.
There is no distinction between "This is a normal, valid command for general game use, but these commands are cheats."

You can switch between options via command mode all day long, and not trigger any type of game penalty.

In fact, you will be a rare type of Vintage Story player if at some point, you do not use the command line. As much as you may want to play the game "straight", there really are times when if it is not just necessary, it is just downright sensible.

Finally, as Streetwind and others have said, using both forms of the Propick are pretty much essential. Long-term, you need to have them on.

Cheating on node search? It's kind of weird to makes it to consider it as such lmao.

I mean I remember busting a 10+ prospecting picks (bronze-made) in one area until I find the type of mineral I need (in that time it was hematite aka Iron) and took me 30+ minutes of pure pain.

In my opinion it is not cheating, but merely a form of difficulty setting

Without the node search, you must prospect out a chunk with a good per mille and begin semi-randomly digging down and rely on the fortune to actually hit an ore vein directly. WITH the node search you have to do the same, but your luck gets extended out to a larger radius if you remember to take a reading every once in a while.

As well, ive had some really tough times trying to find that damn node even with the pick. Sometimes makes you want to just go back to the surface and just blind puncture again haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.