How far does the game wish to go?

potatoq

I have some self-impressions about the current game structure (engine/code-base/mod-support). Seems that we don't have the structure of a long-term term that will supply the future game necessity.

It's just my thoughts about that, and i'm just looking for who could help to ensure that is a suitable question. How long do you see the game could support the player demand for additions keeping the gameplay quality/performance without the necessity of refactoring all game structure?

• Confused 2

Not sure what you asking. Have you checked out the road map? (Top of the page, under Devlog.)

[EDIT]

As an aside, possibly what you are asking is intended to be addressed through mods. This is among the most mod-friendly games I've ever seen. No need to reverse-engineer the data files or anything like that. The devs supply a thoroughly documented API, and are very active in updating it.

What would really help would be a Mod Requests forum. Most of what appears as Suggestions would be more appropriate as begging those who create mods to consider adding or changing [this feature]. I get the resistance to using mods, but, seriously, that's one of the important design features of this game. If you don't care to tweak the game to the settings you like, whose fault is that?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

There's a roadmap specifying the developers' vision for the game in the devlog page.
They intend to keep updating the game for many more years to come.
I think that the engine will be able to support that. The devs actually care about optimisation.

If Minecraft, a game with an engine that's fifteen years old, not optimised much at all, and made by an amateur coder can withstand years upon years of updates, I think it's pretty safe to say that Vintage Story will be able to handle such a content load with more grace than that. Vintage's engine is already pretty sleek and can do some really cool stuff.

14 hours ago, potatoq said:

How long do you see the game could support the player demand for additions keeping the gameplay quality/performance without the necessity of refactoring all game structure?

For as long as people stay interested in the game. Just look at Minecraft(as @ifoz mentioned) and Skyrim; both of those games are well over a decade old and still going strong. There are also games that are even older than those two, that still have a dedicated playerbase. If the core gameplay is good, people will keep playing, and mods just add to the experience.

14 hours ago, potatoq said:

Seems that we don't have the structure of a long-term term that will supply the future game necessity.

https://www.vintagestory.at/roadmap.html/

https://www.vintagestory.at/faq.html/

As others here have mentioned, and as the links above confirm, Vintage Story is still quite early in its development. I seem to recall reading somewhere that only 10% or so of the game is finished. As for the game engine itself, it's custom-built by the developers, and not something pre-existing like Bethesda's Creation engine. The general impression I have is that the devs are building the engine as the game progresses, ensuring that the most important pieces are there first(like lighting and the modding API) and then refining later. The next update(1.20) should result in some major updates to the engine, as mounts are being added as well as more ambient mobs(crickets, frogs, and the like--their generation is different than the entities we already have, like butterflies).

• Like 2

I watched a Utoob video a few months ago (produced within the past year) in which the producer of the video referenced an interview with Tyron that revealed Tyron believes the game was (at the time) about 10% complete.

I think it is safe to say that this game will never be considered complete given that the first 10% has taken almost 8 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2024 at 6:05 AM, Maelstrom said:

I think it is safe to say that this game will never be considered complete given that the first 10% has taken almost 8 years.

Remember, the last 10% of the work will always take 90% of the time...

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Really appreciate everybody answers! And sorry to do not clarify my question. I know about what was written in the game goals. My question is more technical, is about how long the current engine/modAPI's(which i really also think is one of the most inclusive) and so on, can supporte game goals and community demmand.
As mentioned, we have Minecraft legacy engine, and also games like LoL which do not accept new community necessities given the legacy mechanisms.

So, the question was really for the game mantainers, about how much that concern was debated and what would be the conclusion?

It can be a naive question or even a dumb one, but it is something that really make afraid.

Edited by potatoq

Why be afraid? Advances in coding don't tend to be revolutionary. They evolve over time, which gives the writers of the libraries and code banks that VS relies on time to adapt.

If someone were to invent a three-state "gate" at nano scale which is also scalable. pretty much the entire binary world will be obsolete. Yeah, and? What will worrying about it accomplish?

Might someone develop some radically different and more efficient database architecture? Again, sure, and there will be teething troubles, but the world will go on.

And even when (not if) things come to an end, I know I've received a whole lot more than a double sawbuck's worth. It's already been a good run. Jump in with both feet and let tomorrow take care of itself. 

• Like 3

On 7/8/2024 at 9:05 PM, Maelstrom said:

I watched a Utoob video a few months ago (produced within the past year) in which the producer of the video referenced an interview with Tyron that revealed Tyron believes the game was (at the time) about 10% complete.

Mate, we need to start a betting thread on when VS will reach 1.0 state.

• Haha 4

On 7/11/2024 at 1:52 AM, LJim said:

Mate, we need to start a betting thread on when VS will reach 1.0 state.

That's hardly fair. I'm already long in the tooth, so odds of me being around to claim the pot are slim.

Think I'll sit this hand out, boys.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I'm with you @Thorfinn.  While I still have a couple (maybe a few) decades left in me, at the rate this game is improving I too will be pushing up daisies.  I don't mind as the rate of releases and how much is released is delightful!  It gives me a chance to get accustomed to and enjoy the new features before more features come out.

The only frustrating part is the persistence of leaves after cutting down a tree farm where the tree canopy ends up getting connected to each other.  Hopefully Tyron fixes that in 1.20 bug squashing phase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

where the tree canopy ends up getting connected to each other. 

Is that what causes it? Always wondered. Lone trees are pretty good, but burning thick forests "leaves" you with a lot of stuff just hanging there...

On 7/10/2024 at 12:19 AM, potatoq said:

Really appreciate everybody answers! And sorry to do not clarify my question. I know about what was written in the game goals. My question is more technical, is about how long the current engine/modAPI's(which i really also think is one of the most inclusive) and so on, can supporte game goals and community demmand.
As mentioned, we have Minecraft legacy engine, and also games like LoL which do not accept new community necessities given the legacy mechanisms.

So, the question was really for the game mantainers, about how much that concern was debated and what would be the conclusion?

It can be a naive question or even a dumb one, but it is something that really make afraid.

Of all the planned features on the roadmap I have zero concern about engine limitations. And even so, there are very straightforward optimization paths:

• Overall GPU Framerate: 1. Switch to Vulkan, 2. Introduce non-cubic LOD (=super low res terrain. Could easily allow rendering of 10km view distance)
  • GPU RAM Use: Optimize Mesh Data Layout (should cut VRAM use in half), non-cubic LOD (can cut VRAM use by 90% at the cost of some graphical fidelity)
  • High CPU RAM use / Loading times: Lazy Load Sounds, Block- and Itemtypes. Database like query structure for block and items.
  • High CPU Usage: Multithread bottlenecked components or simply dont more lean about CPU usage. Generally CPU usage is the least concern right now I think. 1.20 should also notably reduce CPU usage in some cases on the client side, due to physics being only server side now.
  • Like 9

On 7/13/2024 at 4:41 AM, Tyron said:

Of all the planned features on the roadmap I have zero concern about engine limitations. And even so, there are very straightforward optimization paths:

• Overall GPU Framerate: 1. Switch to Vulkan, 2. Introduce non-cubic LOD (=super low res terrain. Could easily allow rendering of 10km view distance)
  • GPU RAM Use: Optimize Mesh Data Layout (should cut VRAM use in half), non-cubic LOD (can cut VRAM use by 90% at the cost of some graphical fidelity)
  • High CPU RAM use / Loading times: Lazy Load Sounds, Block- and Itemtypes. Database like query structure for block and items.
  • High CPU Usage: Multithread bottlenecked components or simply dont more lean about CPU usage. Generally CPU usage is the least concern right now I think. 1.20 should also notably reduce CPU usage in some cases on the client side, due to physics being only server side now.

That was exactly what i want to know about. It is good to hear about it.

And thank your everyone to help me here. As i said, was a naive question, and maybe it's not the time to be afraid about it. I love how the community want to help me even with questions like that. Thanks again!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.