Ore Crystals v1.3.6 - Crystal Harvest

Taska Raine

@samkee00Definitely not intended, they should all be a white glow if it's all quartz. I've never come across a rainbow of colours like that. Is this in some newly generated chunk? Or something that's existed for a while? Did a reload of the world change anything? Is it just this specific section, or is every crystal in the world behaving similarly?

While trying to solve some other issues I've been having I noticed that I get this error:

[Error] [orecrystals] An exception was thrown when trying to start the mod:
System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at OreCrystals.CrystalColour.InitColours() in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\orecrystals\src\utility\CrystalColour.cs:line 14
   at OreCrystals.Init.Start(ICoreAPI api) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\orecrystals\src\utility\Init.cs:line 11
   at Vintagestory.Common.ModLoader.TryStartSystem(Mod mod, ModSystem system, ICoreAPI api, ModEventPhase phase)
[Error] Failed to start system OreCrystals.Init

Mod seems to work fine regardless but I thought I'd post here to let you know about it.
Will note I'm on 1.15.1 and I get the error with the latest version of the mod (1.3.2).

On 7/24/2021 at 1:40 PM, samkee00 said:

Is it intended for the same crystal types to glow all different colors (and sometimes not at all)? Verified that this entire section is quartz, no silver or gold or anything else.

2021-07-24_19-38-18.png

my vision isn't as good as it once was, but it seems the color differences there may have to do with the rock type it's glowing against? the left half sorta looks like chert or maybe claystone? (so has a reddish tinge) while the right half looks like it's granite or limestone or something so has a whiter shade to it

*edit* actually, strike that, I zoomed in really really close on that pic in Paint and you might want to go take a closer look at it yourself; I think there's silver in them there hills :P 

*edit3* kept trying to get a visible pic for you to see what I mean, think this one works better; curious if you do go check, whether I'm right or not :) 

silvermaybe2.png

Edited by Lisabet

21 hours ago, Blanc said:

While trying to solve some other issues I've been having I noticed that I get this error:

[Error] [orecrystals] An exception was thrown when trying to start the mod:
System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at OreCrystals.CrystalColour.InitColours() in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\orecrystals\src\utility\CrystalColour.cs:line 14
   at OreCrystals.Init.Start(ICoreAPI api) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\orecrystals\src\utility\Init.cs:line 11
   at Vintagestory.Common.ModLoader.TryStartSystem(Mod mod, ModSystem system, ICoreAPI api, ModEventPhase phase)
[Error] Failed to start system OreCrystals.Init

Mod seems to work fine regardless but I thought I'd post here to let you know about it.
Will note I'm on 1.15.1 and I get the error with the latest version of the mod (1.3.2).

This will be addressed in the next bugfix patch ^.^

@infinitetechIt actually makes me want to build a rainbow lit pathway to some mystical area or something... x3

@LisabetIt's just sooo hard to be certain of anything with the distance at which the picture is taken. Those darker bits could be ambient wind particles making it look like silver, who knows?

I'll be keeping an eye open for any oddly coloured glows and try to figure out what the heck's going on

i know right? or like make a shrine to Aurora goddess of rainbows, spring, and waterfalls by hiding some crystal lighting behind a small waterfall grotto so that various colors play along the stones and bushes and frothing waters.  or make little "fairy houses" in a woods (shrooms, toadstools, hollow trees, nests, and such) and give them fairly lights.  

im not free to play much, but id love to play with you and build a cool world some time Raine, maybe we could use it to make cool example screenshots for the mod haha

13 hours ago, Lisabet said:

my vision isn't as good as it once was, but it seems the color differences there may have to do with the rock type it's glowing against? the left half sorta looks like chert or maybe claystone? (so has a reddish tinge) while the right half looks like it's granite or limestone or something so has a whiter shade to it

*edit* actually, strike that, I zoomed in really really close on that pic in Paint and you might want to go take a closer look at it yourself; I think there's silver in them there hills :P 

*edit3* kept trying to get a visible pic for you to see what I mean, think this one works better; curious if you do go check, whether I'm right or not :) 

silvermaybe2.png

Hmm. I don't remember where that was so I can't really check. Either way, though, I've noticed it in a lot of places, and there's a large silver crystal near my house that just.... doesn't glow at all.

4 hours ago, DancingHoskuld said:

I usually play with mobs "Never Hostile" because of arthritis, unfortunately it seems your critters don't abide by that option and I die.

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of this. I'll look into having them respect that setting in an update. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have come across an error that I was able to replicate four times in succession. I have attached a copy of the crash report from all four instances to this post.

I was attempting to mine some of the crystals with an almost broken pickaxe and each time, as the pickaxe broke against the ore crystals, the game crashed. I attempted to get video of this twice but I was unsuccessful both times. I was able to find two ore crystal locations near one another and the first one I was able to mine successfully without any issues; it was only when my pickaxe was about to break that I had any issues.Ore Crystals.txt

2021-08-08_12-10-24.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ore Crystals v1.3.3 - Crystal Harvest

This latest update to Ore Crystals for version 1.3.3 brings a whole bunch more bug fixes.

@DancingHoskuldCrystal locusts will no longer attack players with passive/never hostile modes enabled. Hearts won't get angry in never hostile mode.

@ruggbeanThe crashes related to low durability tools being used to break crystals should be gone now.

@LisabetThe crash you had with obelisks should now be properly fixed, and quartz crystal seeds should be craftable. Chisels and pickaxes should now take proper durability damage on obelisk breaks.

Thanks to everyone for bringing these issues to my attention!

I still couldn't find the issue with some crystals not illuminating... I had read something about lights not showing at higher elevations in the world, but haven't confirmed that. I'd imagine this would be more prominent in worlds with a higher world build limit.

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 1
  • Amazing! 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, UGB76765 said:

This mod causes tons of lag. I have tested it alone, and in combination with other mods.

The first version didnt seem bad but this new one is unusable. Too bad because this is one of my favorites.

Hi! Sorry to hear that, can you please post some information we can go on? System specs or draw distance settings, anything of the sort. We have nothing to go on that could point us to the problem you are having with it and would like to try to get it working for you and anyone else with a similar problem! Is there anything specific you are doing for the lag? Is it frame drops or network lag (server)?

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ore Crystals v1.3.4 - Crystal Harvest
  • Taska Raine changed the title to Ore Crystals v1.3.5 - Crystal Harvest
  • 5 weeks later...

This mod seems to be causing a texture memory leak, though I don't know if it's a conflict with another mod or not. In one instance, it caused an instant shutdown of a rented server after only a few minutes. In another it caused a desynching memory leak in single player only after ~5 hours (probably number of chunks created?) I know it's Ore Crystals as that's the only mod removed to clear the issue in both instances. Neither actually caused a crash to report, unfortunately, and the texture memory leak report doesn't specify the mod. This is the list of mods I have installed, in case it helps find a conflicting mod.

Modlist 1.txt

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ore Crystals v1.3.6 - Crystal Harvest
21 hours ago, FloopDeMoop said:

This mod seems to be causing a texture memory leak, though I don't know if it's a conflict with another mod or not. In one instance, it caused an instant shutdown of a rented server after only a few minutes. In another it caused a desynching memory leak in single player only after ~5 hours (probably number of chunks created?) I know it's Ore Crystals as that's the only mod removed to clear the issue in both instances. Neither actually caused a crash to report, unfortunately, and the texture memory leak report doesn't specify the mod. This is the list of mods I have installed, in case it helps find a conflicting mod.

Modlist 1.txt 5.65 kB · 5 downloads

Although no memory leaks have been tackled(It's unlikely a mod issue as I do not instantiate textures/shapes myself, but instead utilize the game API that should handle these tasks), I have found the cause for the server to perpetually hang. This seemed to be related to other mods that added ores that Ore Crystals was not set up to handle. The mod now should be more resilient against such things in the future.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm sorry for the trouble this issue caused.

The mod has also had some patch tweaks to eliminate 'remove' operations to avoid creating mod conflicts. Also, crystal arrows are now more break-able. They're strong but should break often.

A download for version 1.3.6 can be found on the main post.

• 4 weeks later...

@Shion@Novocain

Here's some screenshots addressing the issue between Ore Crystals Crystals and Volumetric Shading mentioned on the ModDB. I went ahead and simplified a crystal and corrected its UVs but the issue where crystals become black persists. It seems that whenever the view of the crystal is partially obstructed by the edge of something opaque, blackness encroaches on it. It seems it only happens on the transparent render pass.

https://i.imgur.com/nYDto5P.png

https://i.imgur.com/ztzMg6T.png

• 5 months later...

hi, sorry to bother, I was messing around in my world and ran into an olivine crystal cluster, not knowing what it does, I decided to attack, taking out the locusts, and was then presented with the crystal heart... I attacked it a few times, didn't notice anything happening beside it spinning around, then decided to break the base of the crystal... which dropped a crystal heart, but also completely froze my world. No entity moves anymore, no block update happens, I couldn't even eat, just move around in a frozen world. I decided to close and reopen, except it doesn't open at all, it hangs up. Now I'm no VS expert, I don't even know what the correct logs are, but I found this line repeated ad infinitum in the server-event file:

19.8.2022 22:35:47 [Fatal] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at OreCrystals.EntityCrystalHeart.OnEntityDespawn(EntityDespawnReason despawn) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\orecrystals\src\entities\EntityCrystalHeart.cs:line 169
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.DespawnEntity(Entity entity, EntityDespawnReason reason)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySimulation.TickEntities(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySimulation.OnServerTick(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Process()

What could be causing all of this? Is there a way to recover the world?

3 hours ago, Sofia Q.F. said:

hi, sorry to bother, I was messing around in my world and ran into an olivine crystal cluster, not knowing what it does, I decided to attack, taking out the locusts, and was then presented with the crystal heart... I attacked it a few times, didn't notice anything happening beside it spinning around, then decided to break the base of the crystal... which dropped a crystal heart, but also completely froze my world. No entity moves anymore, no block update happens, I couldn't even eat, just move around in a frozen world. I decided to close and reopen, except it doesn't open at all, it hangs up. Now I'm no VS expert, I don't even know what the correct logs are, but I found this line repeated ad infinitum in the server-event file:

19.8.2022 22:35:47 [Fatal] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at OreCrystals.EntityCrystalHeart.OnEntityDespawn(EntityDespawnReason despawn) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\orecrystals\src\entities\EntityCrystalHeart.cs:line 169
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.DespawnEntity(Entity entity, EntityDespawnReason reason)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySimulation.TickEntities(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySimulation.OnServerTick(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Process()

What could be causing all of this? Is there a way to recover the world?

Are you running Ore Crystals 1.3.6 on Vintage Story 1.16.5? I know for sure that the current release version doesn't work on 1.17.

Until I can find out what the cause of this crash is, your only bet may be to disable the mod, load the world, then re-enable it. That should hopefully let you at least load back in

14 minutes ago, Sofia Q.F. said:

It is indeed the version for 1.16.5, as I don't even know how to get the pre-release  : p 

Indeed that's what I ended up doing, unloaded the mod, loaded in the game, saved, loaded the mod back up, reload the save. Hopefully what I found is helpful for the future!

Yep! Great info, thanks. I tried to recreate it briefly, but I couldn't, unfortunately. I'll do a deeper dive and hopefully find some answers there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.