Zaph42nd Posted September 24 Report Posted September 24 So I've been thinking about wood-types and curious, what type of wood do you tend to default to/prefer aesthetically in most builds? For me, I find I'm a big fan of how kapok or pine looks for most builds (especially as a flooring material), never cared much for maple (which to my eyes is a little green?).
Rainbow Fresh Posted September 24 Report Posted September 24 Stripped Oak logs for support beams, Kapok planks for wall and floor textures as default "catch all" wood (temperate climate base). Birch or Larch, depending on availability, if a more white-colored theme is needed like when pairing with granite ashlar bricks or playing around with light mud bricks/tan daub. Pine for darker themes or for a more "solid" feel if that makes sense (my big stable is made out of it. Speaking of the stable, Acacia to complement as best as possible a red shingle roof) Honorable mention: Walnut but only after installing the mod that turns it from a purple-grey goop into the missing dark wood color palette akin to dark oak in Minecraft. Ebony doesn't count, too rare and too washed. 1
LadyWYT Posted September 24 Report Posted September 24 Oak is a solid default choice, but I like walnut and maple quite a lot, since walnut has a nice dark grey coloring to it, and maple...I dunno, there's something about the greenish brown color that's very nice. Birch I tend to prefer for chiseled highlights and furniture, though I do like to use it for spaces that need to look more open and airy. Larch and tropical woods I usually don't get around to messing with, but larch falls into the same general category as birch though a bit pink for my general taste. Ironically, pine I don't enjoy that much because it's a bright red-orange, but it tends to be a wood I use a lot for some reason. I suppose it's grown on me a bit over the course of playing the game, and it does make for a nice cabin. But generally speaking, I prefer more muted colors for the backdrop so that brightly colored decorations and accents pop.
Nathan Flaminio Posted September 24 Report Posted September 24 Larch, Walnut, Purpleheart, and Redwood for housing. We have a Redwood and a Purpleheart sailboat. I really like Bald Cypress cabinets with Purpleheart doors, and Ebony cabinets with Bald Cypress doors. Bookshelves made of Oak. I used Maple for everything else because it was the most abundent wood in the area. Pine for firewood/charcoal.
Maelstrom Posted September 24 Report Posted September 24 Acacia paired with basalt. chef's kiss Kapok after I find that first seed with an agriculture trader. Until then oak, birch, walnut (only with the dark walnut mod)
ifoz Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 (edited) My favourites are aged oak and very aged wood (in that order), they're really nice darker colours compared to how light in tone a lot of the other wood types in the game are. I know the devs have mentioned staining wood with linseed oil before, and my hope is that will one day allow us to get some more deep/rich wood colours. There's textures for 'mahogany' in the game files that only get used for display cases, the creative-only 'cozy bed' and two types of table from a certain story location. That deep brown colour is something I really think the current woodtype palette is sorely missing. If mahogany gets added with this texture, I think that it will quickly become a favourite of mine! In terms of normal wood types that have associated trees, I quite like kapok and oak. Kapok is a nice warm colour, and oak is the jack-of-all-trades old reliable that you can always turn to when you just want something to look like it's made out of generic brown wood. Walnut, birch and pine are also situationally nice, but in my eyes you have to be careful and pair them with a good matching/contrasting colour palette. Also, I think burnt planks deserve a shoutout. They're one of those weird new pseudo-woodtypes that are only available from building materials traders. They're a little too mottled to be used in a wide variety of situations (a bit like how ebony has those orange streaks mixed with its black colour), but I think they still look quite unique and can be useful in certain builds. Edited September 25 by ifoz 1
Juwan Alexander Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 Birch, Oak, Maple, and Pine because those are usually the only trees I find in a Standard world unless I get really lucky. I haven't experimented with different climates yet, though. It is possible there are better wood types, but making due with what I have immediate access to feels more authentic and immersive imho. There's also too many different choices and I don't particularly like creative mode, so I suppose my answer will change after another 1k hours or so.
Xanadu2003 Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 (edited) I really love trying to mix up the woods I do for each world / playthrough. I think they all have a potential charm to them if you try and work with it! I view the wood types as a palette more than having particular preferences that I default to. Even maple ! Much to my girlfriends dismay AT FIRST! But I think it works really well if you lean into it with other darker colors. Edited September 29 by Xanadu2003 1
Argakyan Posted September 30 Report Posted September 30 Pine for if I want to make something look like a game from the 2000's or 1990's. Back then a lot of games had more contrast & vibrant colour, which looks like pine in VS. Walnut for if I want to make something look aged Birch I use for furniture or if there's really no other option. I love it, which is why I use it for highlights. Oak also if there's no better option because oak has the dual function of tanning, which means I don't want to waste it.
Recommended Posts